nausea worse on Zofran

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

nausea worse on Zofran

Postby petsparkle » Nov 12, 2005 9:44 pm

Okay, so I am the biggest fan of Zofran (usually). Despite the horrible constipation, Zofran has been my friend since I started taking it at 6 weeks. I am now at 12 weeks and having more problems. I take 4mg every 6 hours. When I take it, I get really nauseous. If I don't take it, I have an hour or two of feeling okay, then I am worse and usually throwing up. If I do take it, I feel seriously nauseous all day but only throw up once or twice. Is this normal? I have only been experiencing this for the last week so it's a little strange to me. My midwife said I could take 8 mg if I needed it, and I have tried that, but it makes me worse!

Any ideas?

Lissa
petsparkle

Postby megs4413 » Nov 13, 2005 11:15 pm

I found that the oral zofran really did not help the nausea. I didn't think it made it any worse really, but it certainly didn't touch it. It did, however, keep me from vomiting. I was taking the largest dose at 8 mg.

Are you vomiting a lot without it? If you are vomiting so much that you are not getting enough nutrition or are becoming dehydrated then I would continue to take it anyway. If you are only vomiting a few times a day you might consider stepping off. For me, it was essential to take the zofran because I couldn't eat without it.

You might think about splitting your 4 mg pills and taking it more often so it's not such a big dose at once. I found that breaking it up and taking it more often was more effective anyway. You could also try eating with it or trying a combo. Like, taking the zofran and phenergan/reglan/etc. at the same time.
Good luck! I hope you start feeling better in a few weeks!
megs4413
HG Diva

Postby BrandiJK » Nov 14, 2005 4:03 pm

I don't know about nausea being worse w/ zofran tabs...but in my attempting to quit it I have discovered that it creates a taste in my mouth that causes nausea. I do not have this taste when not on it at all. Of course, I don't vomit as much on it. And yeah...it is the cause of headaches and constipation. No denying that one!

Maybe a disolving kind would help?
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby ann » Nov 17, 2005 9:08 am

Lisa,
I just read under another topic (I think it was "Zofran weaning"?) that someone took very low doses on a more frequent basis (I think it was 2mg every 4 hours). Perhaps you would benefit from a lower, but continuous dose of the ODT Zofran. When I first started Zofran, I needed 8mg 3X/day. Eventually, I switched to a lower dose because when I tried to ween off the 8mg by skipping doses, I would still vomit even after taking a dose. Also, I was plagued with headaches and killer constipation that I think triggered more nausea and vomiting. I did better on just 4mg more frequently (I can take it even less frequently now). Perhaps you could go down to 2mg (just cut up the ODT) on a more frequent schedule?
Best of luck
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies