anyone have SSRI babies?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

anyone have SSRI babies?

Postby Mishelly » Nov 13, 2005 6:14 am

Anyone take selective seritonin reuptake inhibitors while pregnant? Like Paxil, Zolot, Prozac etc. I'm on Paxil and I'm afraid of the side effects it will have on my baby.
ImageImageImage
Mishelly
Been There Done That

Postby IslandDreamer » Nov 13, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi Michelle,

I'm currently cooking a Prozac baby. Started on 20 mg/day at 15 weeks. My understanding with Prozac is that there are no long term effects, but my son has a higher than typical risk of some breathing, feeding, irratibility issues at birth. I'm not thrilled with this, but I've got such a long history of severe PPD that Psychosis is a bigger risk for baby, so I continue on the meds. Both my doctor and the counselors at MotheRisk recommended staying on the Prozac.

I don't know the specifics of Paxil and side effects post partum, but I do know that the SSRIs are not considered to be a risk factor for birth defects. www.motherisk.org can get you specific research on Paxil. And if you call the counselors, they'll be wonderful and give you all the time you need to get your questions answered.

I'm sorry that you're dealing with HG and depression, but there are many babies around here that have grown strong despite both. I am especially sorry about the little one you lost. Pregnancy after loss really leaves us with more than the average worries and concerns.

Love,
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby BlueEeyore » Nov 13, 2005 11:47 pm

Suzanne,
Just FYI. Be sure to talk to your doctor if you think you might at all breastfeed and stay on prozac. The baby gets some from you now, in utero, and will get more from you if you breastfeed, which could lead to too high of a dose. It's often recommended that moms are switched off prozac toward the end of their pregnancies for that reason. Prozac is prescribed for breastfeeding moms; it only seems to be a big problem in the early post partum period, if the mom was also on prozac while pregnant.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby IslandDreamer » Nov 14, 2005 7:16 am

Hi Blue,

Definitely not bfing, so no worries there. When I spoke with MotheRisk last month, they considered Prozac okay while bfing. The reason folks prefer getting off Prozac is the risk of side effects (20-30% for exposed babies) right after birth: irritability, feeding or breathing problems. All resolve side effects quickly and no long term effects have been detected in studies, but I still want him off ALL meds asap. He's had enough, ya know?
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby ann » Nov 17, 2005 8:43 am

What do ya'll know about Zoloft? I was on it before pregnancy, then stopped when I knew I was pg (I could have used it while dealing with HG, but I held off for fear of dosing the little guy with more drugs...) Anyway, my dr has given me the go-ahead to start it whenever I feel I need it, and I'm thinking about starting about 1-2 months before delivery and remain on it. I do plan to breastfeed. Has anyone else out there been pg and breastfeed on Zoloft...what's the scoop?
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

Postby JennyK » Dec 07, 2005 3:01 pm

Ann, Zoloft is the best SSRI to take while BF. Here's a link to useful info. http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/ant ... 10-02.html

If you have any concerns about taking Zoloft while pg, you should call the counselors at Motherisk. They can give you all the info you need to make an informed decision.

Mishelly, Paxil is not known to cuase birth defects, but babies go through withdrawal when they are born. They get over it after two weeks, but I think these days they recommend weaning off Paxil before birth to avoid the problem. I have been through Paxil w/d myself and it is not pleasant!
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby IslandDreamer » Dec 07, 2005 10:10 pm

Hi,

I just delivered my Prozac baby on Friday, and he did not have any withdrawal...though he does hate being cold. From what I understand, Zoloft is the current favorite SSRI of a lot of Ob/gyns. My doc had me try it before we had to go to Prozac, but for me, Zoloft aggravated the HG...for some folks it can calm the HG a bit.

Definitely gather info from Motherisk and other sources and have a good talk with your doc on this, so you are completely comfortable with whatever decision you make.

Take care,
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby ann » Dec 08, 2005 9:02 am

Thank you, Jenny and Suzanne. I can always count on my HG friends for great info and references (kellymom.com is great!)

Congratulations Suzanne!!! You worked so hard through this pregnancy --and helped so many of us through ours -- I wish you all the best with you new little baby! Keep us posted on how you and baby are doing.
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

Postby JennyK » Dec 08, 2005 2:21 pm

Here is an article about new studies linking Paxil to heart defects.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051208/ap_ ... nt_warning

It looks like they will reclassify it as a Category D drug.

For anyone who is/was taking Paxil while pregnant, I took it until 6 weeks when I could no longer keep it down and my daughter is just fine.

There are safer SSRI's out there than Paxil, so talk to your doctor about other options.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Zoloft

Postby Bethers » Dec 09, 2005 11:01 am

Hi,

I am on Zoloft have been since 1999. Anyone who has read my life story in Life probably could understand why. Anyhow, I made the mistake of stopping it with the last pregnancy and then trying to start it up when prego I got sicker then a dog. This time I will stay on my meds and not get off of them.

Bethers
Bethers -Mom to Justin 1-9-96 HG hospitalized 40+. Mom to 2 angels 5-21-04 & 11-16-04. Will ttc in Feb 2006. 2 more Months OMG!!!rl=http://www.tickercentral.com]Image[/url]
Bethers
Been There Done That

Postby Kellie » Jan 16, 2006 3:58 pm

I experience depression/anxiety ONLY when pg (go figure) and for both of my pregnancies I was put on Zoloft at 6 weeks. I worked up to 100 mg over a period of 4 weeks. Both of my girls were born perfect and healthy. I breastfed both of them for 2+ years (still bfing the 2nd) and they had absolutely no adverse effects and are totally normal (even slightly advanced ;)) children.

My midwife started me on Zoloft at 4 weeks for this pregnancy. I never have any doubts about it as I know the baby and I would be absolutely MISERABLE if I wasn't on it.
Kellie ~ mommy to Jessa (12/01) & Ella (12/03)

Kellie

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 16, 2006 9:07 pm

So far, excellent health for Prozac-boy-Jack. Still hates being cold, but he is strong, has almost complete head control, giggles and smiles during interaction, and follows people in and out of the room. And he knows who mommy is (and isn't :lol: ). Not bad for 6 weeks old.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby queencitymom » Jan 26, 2006 11:50 am

I have had two prozac/hg babies :lol: I also bfeed both for 2+years and my oldest is in 2nd grade and at a third grade level for math and reading. I did not notice any w/drawl effects in either one. In fact, they were very happy babies! I hope this helps you to feel better!
Survivor of two hg pregnancies: Lindsay 11-1-94 and Emma 2-16-98 and ONE Prevented HG pregnancy :) Megan 4-27-04
queencitymom

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies