Labstix SG vs. Ketostix

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Labstix SG vs. Ketostix

Postby PamelaRose » Nov 29, 2005 6:38 pm

Gracie passed along this information, and I think it's valuable advice:

I keep seeing the recommendation for Ketostix in testing for dehydration, and someone made the (correct) comment that not everyone shows positive for ketones in their urine when they are dehydrated.

I am one of those... my urine only tests positive for ketones when I am extremely far into complete starvation (way beyond dehydration) or running an extremely high fever.

My physician has me using Labstix SG which measures the Specific Gravity of urine... it basically tells you how concentrated the molecules are in your urine... the heavier the urine, the less "water", the more dehydrated you are.

The Labstix SG also test for Glucose, Protein, Ketones, and Blood... they are a litte more expensive but worth it for me.

Hopefully this is helpful to others out there...

Forums Administrator

Postby BrandiJK » Nov 29, 2005 6:41 pm

This is very good advise, and I didn't know this. I do not show ketones, even on the ones the hospital tests with (which may be the same) until I am very bad off, I have to have them test me by bp.

How much more are these sticks? I bought the ketosticks because they were only 10 bucks, and I had nothing to spare.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby PamelaRose » Nov 29, 2005 6:52 pm

I'm sure Gracie can answer readily, but from what I'm finding, this particular product is more prevalent in Canada and UK--but I'm sure there's a US equivalent.

From globaldrugs.com: 100 Ketostix - $17.29; 100 Labstix SG - $47.92. You can get them in boxes of 50, too, but there's still a substantial price difference. Worth it for those who don't get along with Ketostix, though.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Gracie » Nov 29, 2005 7:02 pm

The Labstix SG are made by Bayer... so they should be available worldwide. With my physician Rx (not required but handy), my insurance covers 80%. I don't know about Medicaid or any of the other plans though. They are about 3x the price which is why I only recommend them if you really need them (don't show ketones) or can get them covered or free somehow. I have seen them in 25 and 50 packs as well.

ANY Labstix or Multistix or Teststix that covers Specific Gravity would be fine...

I'll do a little research for you all....
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

US test strips for Specific Gravity....

Postby Gracie » Nov 29, 2005 7:28 pm

Okay, so a quick search has yielded the following:

URS-10 is the brand name of one strip. There are several sites that offer it... but it is 40$+

The "Comprehensive 9 Urine Test Strips" apparently retail for about 33$; I found them available through a Yahoo shopping site for 25.99$

http://egeneralmedical.com/comurtesstri.html

So, the names to look for are Chemstrip, Multistix, Labstix, URS (Urine Reagent Strips) or just "Urine Test Strips" and find one that covers "Specific Gravity".

A high specific gravity means more concentrated urine, which is a sign of insufficient fluid intake.

You could call a few pharmacies to compare prices or find out if your clinic can sell them at cost to you... or for cost and a small %.
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

Postby bibliojo » Nov 30, 2005 12:53 am

Very interesting!!! I'll be requesting a prescription for these when I get pregnant! I never seemed to register more than a trace of ketones on those Ketostixs...even when I was so dehydrated they had to admit me to hospital for 4 days of fluids. :roll:

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies