HG & H. pylori?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

HG & H. pylori?

Postby Fern » Apr 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Has anyone heard of a connection between the two? I just heard from a naturopathic doctor who is a friend of mine that he's seen some research that having H. pylori (the bacteria implicated in stomach ulcers, among other things) can have some impact on HG. I don't know if it predisposes, worsens, or what. Anyone else hear of this?
Fern
Many-time HG Survivor!

Twin Angels 4/5/12
Loss 3/18/11
Angel baby, 11/11/09.
Angel baby 5/7/09, forever missed.
Loss 9/08
Loss 8/06
HG with all my pregnancies.

Fern
HG Diva

Postby MichellevsHG » Apr 06, 2010 9:28 pm

I have heard that, in fact I'm pretty certain one of the emails from Kimber when I was pg with Maddie is where she suggested I get tested. It can make HG worse or mask the symptoms since they are similar.

I did get tested for h.pylori back in August 2008 when I had an endoscope done (that's where the GI found the hiatus hernia-from HG and the severe GERD :( ) He took a biopsy of my stomach to get tested and it came back negative. I believe there is a less invasive test that takes a breath sample :?: but I don't know anything about it.

I strongly suggest getting tested for it, especially if you're still not feeling well after delivery.
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby kaydee » Apr 07, 2010 5:58 pm

I heard that from the motherisk counselor.I tested positive for it.I tried to take the antibiotics for it but couldn't I was so sick and they made me even worse.I was sick until a week after delivery.I took the treatment and felt better-not sure if it was because H. Pylori was treated or not.

I am going to get a breath test before my next pregnancy to make sure it was eradicated,as suggested by motherisk.Once you get a positive blood test it will remain positive as the test is for antibodies.To find out if you still have it after treatment you need a breath test.

Check out this list

http://www.motherisk.org/women/forum_qu ... ms_id=1127
kaydee
Been There Done That

Postby nicolelang » Apr 08, 2010 10:04 am

I had the h pylori infection before my pregnancy which we treated with antibiotics, I never got retested to see if it went away but my Dr just had me do a stool sample to see if I still have it. Because I findit weird I'm this sick with thisone and notmy first one...but we will see....
nicolelang
Welcomed Friend

Re: HG & H. pylori?

Postby witch_baby » May 01, 2013 10:51 am

I don't have it and was tested before I was pregnant. The doctors thought i had gastritis but it turns out I just have an intolerance to eggs (causes IBS like symptoms) and shouldn't eat them. I have had HG twice, I am now going through it the second time.
witch_baby
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies