Zofran Pumps & PICC Lines

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Postby Alison » Jan 21, 2006 10:34 pm

There are different types???? What types are there? What is the difference between them? Why was it that you did not have to flush yours?
-5 Little Angel Babies with Jesus-
www.enivamembers.com/vitalhealth
Alison
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Jan 28, 2006 11:17 pm

The sub Q and the IV Zofran are actually the same kind, and yes, with a double lumen you can run the zofran pump through the PICC line at the same time as fluids. I did it this way most of the time.
If all you run are fluids (no medications and no TPN), you can actually run the Zofran pump with a single lumen picc line with a little thingy called a y-connector.

There is no way to keep anything completely sterile, EVER.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Kellie » Jan 28, 2006 11:23 pm

I have a Zofran pump running continuously through my single lumen PICC right now. It is the same Zofran that we used sub-Q. I also run fluids simultaneously. I have the Y shaped attachment at the end of the PICC so that two things can be running at once. It's nice because I don't have to use saline and herparin because the Zofran is constantly running through the PICC and keeping everything flowing.
Kellie ~ mommy to Jessa (12/01) & Ella (12/03)

Kellie

Postby aaronsmommy » Jan 28, 2006 11:29 pm

The zofran is very thick, and I found that when I didn't flush that port every day it would get sluggish and sometimes stop flowing, and require a lot of pressure with a flush to flow again. If you run your fluids quickly when you run them, it may not be a problem, but as much as I HATED the flushes, I would do at least a small saline flush every day to make sure that my line continued working.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Kellie » Jan 28, 2006 11:40 pm

aaronsmommy wrote:The zofran is very thick, and I found that when I didn't flush that port every day it would get sluggish and sometimes stop flowing, and require a lot of pressure with a flush to flow again. If you run your fluids quickly when you run them, it may not be a problem, but as much as I HATED the flushes, I would do at least a small saline flush every day to make sure that my line continued working.

Thanks, that is good to know! I run my fluids at 125ml/hr at night so that I can get a full night's sleep (although I always end up needing to pee at 3 AM anyway LOL). I will try flushing a bit each day to make sure things are flowing well.
Kellie ~ mommy to Jessa (12/01) & Ella (12/03)

Kellie

Previous

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies