Are my meds giving my daughter diaper rash?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Are my meds giving my daughter diaper rash?

Postby sherrie » Dec 18, 2005 3:46 pm

I am breastfeeding my 18 month old daughter, and she has a terrible diaper rash that we cannot seem to get rid of. She has never been prone to nasty rashes before. We use cloth diapers, and if she has a rash, usually it is gone in one day. This rash has been around for about a month. Do you think that my medications could be causing this? I am taking Zofran 4 mg (16 mg per day) and Zoloft 50 mg. Currently we are using Desitin Overnight Relief for her and it seems to be helping some, but I would like to see it all gone.

Thanks!
Sherrie
Mom to Joshua 6/12/2002
Natalie 7/5/2004
HG baby edd 6/10/2006
sherrie

Postby BrandiJK » Dec 18, 2005 6:56 pm

I don't know about medication and nursing causing a rash. But I do know with Brigit we had a bad rash period, and warm baths with baking soda seemed to help a great deal.

I am sorry, hope little one recovers quickly!
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby healthymommy » Dec 18, 2005 10:42 pm

That's amazing that you are still able to do cloth diapers and have HG!!! I have a 16 month daughter that is still BFing and I also do cloth diapers. I'm pretty sure that if I was preggie with HG again the cloth diapers would be one of the first household duties to go. :)

Have you switched detergents recently? Maybe baby is sensitive to it. Sometimes diaper rash is caused by detergent buildup on your diapers. You may want to strip them (lots of baking soda washes and warm rinses). The diaper cream itself may be leaving a residue on the diapers. I know its cold, but maybe you could let her run around bottomless for a little while (like after she's had a BM and cleaned up) or try some fleece liners. They keep your baby drier by keeping the wetness away from tender skin.

Hope both you and your baby girl are feeling better soon! :)

Cristina
Cristina
HG Survivor!
PG1 Keli Lalita 7-27-2004 water home birth
Preparing for HG
healthymommy
Welcomed Friend

Postby caleighbelle47 » Dec 19, 2005 1:55 am

I too somehow managed HG and cloth diapers.

I would definately recommend stripping your diapers, lots of hot washes with no soap until there are no bubbles left in the water. Sometimes it can take a while to get rid of the soap.

Are you using Desitin on the cloth diapers? Because Desitin can leave major residue on diapers. Also what kind of diapers do you use, if you're using chinese prefolds then you can boil them to rid of the extra stuff. You can also do a load with some oxyclean, it's okay to use a little of that on your diapers and might help out a little too.

It's possible that it's a yeast infection and those tend to stick around in your diapers. Hopefully it clears up soon.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby Atsie » Dec 19, 2005 7:19 am

Could it be a yeast infection? Jordan has had two bad rashed and both times it was yeast. I tried everything on it and nothing worked. Then the Dr's gave her a special cream and then a silcone barrier cream. It cleared up really fast.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Dec 19, 2005 10:56 pm

My daughters were prone to terrible diaper rash due to their sensitive skin, and we found that a layer of antifungal and cortisone (equal amounts of Nystatin and cortisone cream), followed by a layer of cornstarch, followed by a sealing layer like Desitin or Vaseline worked best. Making sure the skin is dry before you put any treatment on is important, too. They tended to have worse flare-ups when they were sick--any little sniffle or cough would lead to red butt within hours. I don't know if Zofran could cause reactions with nursing - check with Motherisk to see what info they have - www.motherisk.org
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby JennyK » Dec 20, 2005 12:07 pm

I would suspect it’s NOT the meds causing the rash, but what do I know?

Annie has very sensitive skin and gets rashes easily. The best cure we’ve found is Butt Paste. Desitin and baking soda did not work for her.

We use cloth, too, and the only thing that I don’t like about Butt Paste is it stains the diapers and looks like poop stains. This really bugs me because actual poop does not stain them. (We use Wonderoos.) Oh well.

I hope that rash clears up soon.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby nomore » Dec 20, 2005 7:11 pm

Youve gotten some great advice so far. I was never BFing while pregnant, so I cant tell you if the meds might cause the diaper rash. But, Madison gets diaper rash very easily. Like if poop is left in there for more than just a few mintutes. (although we use disposible diapers).

We have tried ALL the diaper rash creams. We found Balmex works the best for her.... blows away the But paste and the Desitin. Who knows why???? Also, if it was really bad we have take Mylanta and put it directly on her skin.... let it dry (think small fan or blowing) and then put LOTS of Balmex on. I do NOT skimp on the cream.... the more the better!

She gets it so bad that she will cry about it.... so sometimes we give her Tylenol for it as well. Poor thing... of course we have been trying to convice her that if she used the Potty she wouldnt have sore "buns".

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Dec 20, 2005 10:47 pm

Isn't it funny how different kids react so differently to diaper rash treatments? Reilly is allergic to Butt Paste--left her bleeding in no time. I am sooooo happy those days are behind us! Potty-training is a glorious thing,
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby caleighbelle47 » Dec 20, 2005 11:00 pm

I guess this is the one parenting area I got lucky in, my kids never get diaper rash. And I'm guilty of leaving diapers on too long.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby PamelaRose » Dec 20, 2005 11:08 pm

Your kids got good skin! Our daycare mom once remarked that other kids could probably be left in dirty diapers for days and still not get the intense rashes our girls got after just a few minutes. Not fair, but at least we realized early on that it was just their skin. I had a new doctor freak out about one of Reilly's ugly rashes; he tested her for VDs and asked me if I had anything... :shock: That is one of my favorite parenting moments. "Was she delivered vaginally? Do you have any...diseases?" LOL
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby caleighbelle47 » Dec 20, 2005 11:21 pm

That's hilarious, don't you love it when doctors ask such blunt questions. Reminds me of the numerous times my OB asked if I was sure I didn't have an eating disorder :roll: .

I still can't believe my kids have such good skin though, they don't get it from me. I get rashes from everything.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby JennyK » Dec 21, 2005 10:46 am

Annie's rashes appear so quickly I've worried the doctor would accuse me of neglect. A few minutes in a poopy diaper and BAM, the rash is there. If she poops in the middle of the night and doesn't let us know, it's bleeding my morning. She has scars on her butt. I feel so bad! Is fair skin more prone to rashes? That's what I choose to blame it on.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Becky77 » Dec 21, 2005 11:40 am

I nursed my daughter she was 20 months. I have found that Bag Balm is the best diaper stuff. It's made for cow teats, but it works wonders on a baby's butt! We use it every night on Hannah and she almost never has rashes. It has a lot of lanolin in it and is super protective. She does have really sensitive skin so that's why I'm sold on Bag Balm. It's not expensive either. I sometimes use it on my really dry hands and within a day they are better.

Becky
Becky77
Been There Done That

Postby PamelaRose » Dec 21, 2005 10:11 pm

Yes, Jenny, the fairer the coloring, the more likely the skin is sensitive. I think Annie qualifies! My poor girls were always rashy, and any little illness set off a major bloody outbreak. Ugh! Our regular doctor was livid when he found out Reilly had been tested for venereal diseases; he said that all the other doctor had to do was look at her blonde hair and fair skin and realize that she's got thin, sensitive skin. I don't blame the other guy because the rash was pretty bizarre (the open-sore kind of rash) and in this day and age you never do know, and I certainly got a big kick out of it because I'm about the last person one would suspect of STD-prone behaviors. :o

The scars will go away. Reilly still gets rash because she's not night-trained, but it's now just the regular red-bump rash. Avery continued getting bleeding sores until she was completely trained and able to wipe well. Wet toilet wipes are a must, and keep cortisone and yeast cream on hand because there will probably still be issues with irritation from time to time--but at least she'll be able to tell you it hurts!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby JennyK » Dec 23, 2005 11:32 am

I'm glad to get confirmation of the fair skin theory. Annie's about as blonde and fair as they come--just like your kids. Thanks for the tips on wiping. We will start employing them right away. She's partially potty trained and very proud of it. We let her wipe so she learns, and then we do it for her since she's not too effective yet. At dinner a few nights ago, completely ouf of context she proudly yelled, "I wipe my vagina!" :oops: I guess this is the start of her saying inappropriate things at inopportune times. At least for now strangers can't understand her speech half the time.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby krankedyann » Dec 23, 2005 3:11 pm

Just a note- if it is yeast, using cornstarch on the baby's bottom will feed the yeast and make it worse.

HTH!
KerryAnn
www.cookingTF.com
Wife to Jeff
Mom to Belle (10/02) mild MS
Trey (11/04) undiagnosed severe HG, lost 12% of body weight
and 5 babies at home with the Lord
krankedyann

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies