Trying to wean off Zofran... any suggestions?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Trying to wean off Zofran... any suggestions?

Postby artbeware » Jul 28, 2004 11:24 am

Posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd try here too.

I am 22 1/2 weeks and still taking 12 mg a day of Zofran. Without it, I lost 10 lbs b/w weeks 6-8, and visited the ER twice for IV hydration. (Tried reglan after first visit--disastrous. Found out about Zofran and insisted on it the 2nd time.) Problem is, my insurance only covers about 1/3 of my monthly dosage, which means I am spending a fortune on the rest (well over $2000 so far, I estimate:shock:. too depressing to figure out exactly) I was too miserable those first few months to figure out how to get drugs from Canada. I've figured that out now, but it's still a $36/day when ins. doesn't pay ($90/day when I buy locally. EVIL.)

So, at my doctor's recommendation, I've been trying unsucessfully to wean myself by skipping a dose. I've been feeling so much better the last couple of weeks (haven't vomited in about 3 weeks!) that occasionally I actually FORGET to take the afternoon dose. So I tried skipping, but the next day felt miserable, gaggy and nearly pukey.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried to go off Zofran and if so, how did you do it? Did B6 work? Unisom? B6 did nothing for me in the first trimester, but maybe now that I seem to be improving, I should try it.

Thank god for this site! It was my only comfort in those early days of misery. Good luck to all you other sufferers. No one deserves to go through this.
artbeware

Postby CLD1234 » Jul 28, 2004 6:02 pm

Hi, I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions on how to wean from Zofran but wanted to ask you how you go about getting Zofran from Canada. The price you quoted is much better than I can get here locally. I am one week away from an IVF transfer and want to be prepared with Zofran in case this IVF cycle works and I end up suffering from HG again. Thanks for any help or guidance you can give me regarding Canadian pharmacies. :)
CLD1234

thank god for Canada (almost want to move there)

Postby artbeware » Jul 28, 2004 6:31 pm

I used affordablerx.com for the first one (free shipping, approx. $12-13 ea) and just found a cheaper source: planetdrugsdirect.com. $113 / 10. I just put the order in, so don't know how speedy/reliable they are. They also have free shipping. Both take about 10 days from when you fax your scrip to when you actually get the drugs. If you get refills, you can order up to 3 months worth in advance. I've been doing it piecemeal, because I keep thinking I won't need the next round (no luck yet, but I'll keep trying).

Best of luck with your IVF! Fingers crossed that you have success and don't get HG this time!
artbeware

Postby CLD1234 » Jul 29, 2004 11:07 am

Thanks for the info! :) I bookmarked the two pharmacies you mentioned for future use. Hopefully luck will be on my side this time and I won't need to use them.
CLD1234

Postby danimomof2girls » Aug 02, 2004 12:41 pm

I know how financially burdening HG can be. We did have insurance thankfully...the total cost of our second child was over $80,000! Can you imagine? We could have adopted a few kids for less. We only had less than 10% responsibility though because of insurance which was nice. The good and bad news is in my experience, Zofran did not work for my entire pregnancy. I had severe HG so I did feel positive effects in the beginning but eventually was maxed out on the dose and became immune to it I suppose. I know that phenergan is much less expensive than Zofran and it did work for me in that it made me sleep which helped me to throw up less. If you have other children that you are trying to care for, it can have its drawbacks. I would recommend it for night though.
Just know that you are not alone and that it will soon be over! Your baby is worth every cent! Doesn't make you mad when other people's pregnancies only cost $250?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :x
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies