1933 HG succesfuly treated as adrenalin cortex insufficiency

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

1933 HG succesfuly treated as adrenalin cortex insufficiency

Postby S30307 » Sep 01, 2011 10:29 am

I originally posted this as a response to a thread in the post "Is anyone vegeterian?" in Preparing for HG, but I think it can be interesting for everybody so I'm reposting it.

I was going through these posts because I just keep wondering what I could do /'ve done differently to prevent HG, I just keep thinking that there must be a cure... So when I read Samarpana's post mentioning adrenalin insufficiency I did some research on it, and I found this scientific article from 1933 (!!!) about succesful treatment of hyperemesis gravidarum as a temporary adrenal cortex insufficiency.
It's very very interesting.
Here is the link to the PDF:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC402795/pdf/canmedaj00130-0033.pdf
Does anyone know if any more research has been done into this and why this type of treatment wasn't continued?
S30307

Postby aaronsmommy » Sep 01, 2011 3:03 pm

These days adrenal insufficiency is treated with STEROIDS. So yes, there is still interest in this, and yes this type of treatment has been continued.

One thing to remember about research studies is that these type of case report studies are difficult to draw any meaningful results from. Most people with HG will get better over time, that is just what happens with hg, so unless you compare a group with one treatment vs a group with another (or no treatment) you can't really draw conclusions as to whether what you are doing actually works. Also, in these older studies, there were no ultrasounds done, so improvements could have been due to incorrect dates and just normal improvement in the second trimester. However, given that they were basically giving these women steroids, it is likely that they were actually helping the HG with their treatment in this study!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby jukikee » Sep 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks for this! Very interesting! I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue years ago, so this makes a lot of sense to me. I take adrenal supplements now, and my HG isn't severe- I'm still able to work, but not able to eat much. I guess it could be a lot worse...

Hopefully someday they'll figure out the cause and the cure....
jukikee

Postby Arias » Sep 04, 2011 12:27 pm

This is an interesting article. I have been researching adrenal fatigue for a few months because felt like I may suffer from it. I am currently looking for a good nutritionist to help me with this issue and how I can deal with HG next time.
Arias

Postby Kirstin » Sep 09, 2011 2:03 am

I had a look around and found this study:

http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/3/153.full

Is this the type of study you are looking for?

The medical doctor that I see during my pregnancies (I have Lupus) told me that he uses prednisolone for HG and that I should be on that but since the zofran was working then just keep with it. That was back in 2005.

I am thinking of asking him for it this time around if the zofran doesn't work ( last pregnancy it didn't work at all).

Kirstin
Kirstin

Postby joy_g » Sep 09, 2011 12:40 pm

i'm tempted to print out that study and take it to my OB's office. steroid therapy (prednisone) is the only thing that makes a significant impact on my HG. AND i suffered from adrenal fatigue in college.

someday, when i've got lots of money, i'll finance a study on this. sound good? improbable, but good!
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Postby zoe-down-under » Sep 09, 2011 10:06 pm

Fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting!

The new doctor I'm seeing, who has diagnosed me with Pyroluria, used a chart to show me how my body ends up producing the wrong kind of adrenalin. Not sure if I have adrenal fatigue but I wouldn't be surprised. I have all the symptoms.

All my Pyroluric symptoms weave together and effect most parts of my system, so hopefully my adrenal imbalance will correct itself with the treatment I've started!

The doctor even told me all my H.G stuff was caused by Pyroluria. But that's another issue, and will be in the "Pyroluria" thread.

Anyway, this is interesting to me, too. Thanks for researching. :)
Zoe from Australia
DD '98 - Moderate HG
Foster DD joined us in 2004 - No HG! ;)
Angel loved and lost Jan 07 - Severe HG
zoe-down-under
Been There Done That

Re: 1933 HG succesfuly treated as adrenalin cortex insuffici

Postby doulaemily » Jan 08, 2013 1:09 am

I really want to read this study, especially since before I got pregnant I was thinking that I might have adrenal fatigue. And then this fourth pregnancy is SO much harder than my other three - I never had anything like HG with the others.

Anyway the link doesn't seem to be working. Could you post the text, perhaps, or a new link?

Thank you!
Emily
doulaemily

Postby aaronsmommy » Jan 08, 2013 1:24 am

This link is working for me http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/3/153.full

Really, a case report from 1933 is not a good place to do your research, best to read the recent study on steroids.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby faithlove » Jan 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Glad he calls out the fallacy of it being a 'psychic' condition right off the bat.

I have some dessicated adrenal supplement in the cabinet right now, it was very expensive, and my husband never took it. I'm going to try it.

I don't have any problem reading theories from 1933. I feel like they knew more 100 years ago than they do now in many areas of health and wellness, and though this is just a few case studies, it certainly is encouraging combined with the success on the steroids page in this forum.

So jealous of the woman in case #4. It says 'she was able to get up and about in three days and has continued to feel well.' This just sounds so dreamy. I want to get up and about!
Loss at 16 wks in Oct 2012. Now pregnant again! :)
Moderate HG with DD '07 and DD '10, both homebirths, angel baby Oct of 2012.
"Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
faithlove
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies