Hyperemesis and Marijuana

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Hyperemesis and Marijuana

Postby ktj9207 » May 15, 2012 6:44 pm

I was doing some research on the internet and I have found that in states that it is legal, mothers with HG have been trying marijuana. I know it is used in cancer patients for severe nausea. I am just not sure if i would ever consider it but when you get to that point that you think you are absolutely dying I'm not sure what I would do. I found this link http://rxmarijuana.com/kirkman.htm of a lady who tried it and it changed her whole HG pregnancy. You have to think some of these prescription drugs could be just as harmful as marijuana. Other research i have seen were of moms not smoking the marijuana but instead having it in a brownie. I also found another site ( http://patients4medicalmarijuana.wordpr ... ie-dreher/ ) where a lady did research on the affects of marijuana and pregnant women and she could not find any differences in women who smoked marijuana verses those who didn't. I had severe HG with my first pregnancy...from week 7 to the end. I had a PICC line...Zofran pump...TPN. I was also taking Reglan and Phenergan and NONE of it worked. I really want another baby but i am just not sure if I can possibly go through that again. I don't want anyone to judge me as I have not tried it. I just want to know if anyone has tried it or thought about trying it or has done research on it.
ktj9207

Re: Hyperemesis and Marijuana

Postby ktj9207 » May 15, 2012 6:48 pm

I also found this paragraph in an article from this website
http://patients4medicalmarijuana.wordpr ... nd-nausea/

In a study carried out in Canada, “Survey of Medicinal Cannabis Use Among Childbearing Women,” researchers looked specifically at how 84 women who used marijuana during pregnancy to treat nausea, vomiting and hyperemesis gravidarum rated the effectiveness of “cannabis therapy.” The women were recruited through “compassion societies” – where they receive medical marijuana. The authors found that almost all of the women–92 percent–found cannabis to be “extremely effective” or “effective” for treating nausea and vomiting; and suggested that the use of marijuana to treat “severe nausea and vomiting” certainly warranted further investigation.
ktj9207

Postby aaronsmommy » May 15, 2012 11:46 pm

There are several threads here if you do a search, including this rather long one viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49598&p=466471&hilit=marijuana#p466471

It didn't work for me, but it was certainly worth trying.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby zoe-down-under » May 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Hello! Don't worry, you won't be judged for thinking about this.

I've researched this a lot and for me, personally, I would try this in a heartbeat if I was pg again. It wouldn't be much of a legal issue where I live, so I don't have those concerns to deal with and the research I have seen only really links foetal defects with mothers who were taking hard drugs or alcohol at the same time.

Not only that but when I googled it, what I found most interesting was all the pregnancy forums and comments on blogs and articles, filled with personal stories of women who have used cannabis during their pregnancies.

What I realised is that women really have been using cannabis for this purpose for so long now, they just don't come forward. And they are only having such a small amount that they are still able to smile and talk and get by without looking like a druggie. So no-one would know any different.

Have you tried steroids at all? I read the study on the helpher medications information page about a woman who had treatment resistant HG, who went on to use steroids successfully.

xxx
Zoe from Australia
DD '98 - Moderate HG
Foster DD joined us in 2004 - No HG! ;)
Angel loved and lost Jan 07 - Severe HG
zoe-down-under
Been There Done That

Postby ktj9207 » May 16, 2012 5:37 pm

I was never given steroids when I was pregnant...you would think that after every other thing did not, maybe my doctor would put me on them. What are the names of these steroids? I am trying to keep a list of treatment medicines in my phone so if I should ever happen to get pregnant again with HG I can ask my doctor about trying them. After being on Zofran...Reglan..Phenergan...and TPN (and none of them working) the thing that helped me the most was sucking on a peppermint. Not sure why but it helped a little. I would probably try the marijuana as a last resort as it is illegal in the state of Georgia and I would be scared of social services trying to take away my 4 year old. I would definitely get my doctor's opinion on it though.
ktj9207

Postby faithlove » Sep 02, 2012 9:28 pm

I know, I feel the same way about law trying to take away my children since it's illegal where I live. But I would like to try it because I have read so many people who have had relief while eating it. Plus since it literally is just an herb that grows naturally it's about a thousand times more natural than my Zofran or Phenergan, which leave me miserably constipated and I still throw up most of the day and am incapacitated (not yet this time but I'm only 5 weeks).

Not sure. I'm trying a very intensive milk thistle phytosome therapy and I have been doing a lot to prepare with MT and also probiotics, eating well, etc. I would like to hear any recent experiences, and if anyone has even considered or actually has moved to get medical marijuana treatment. We talked about it at one point because of the success rate we read about.
Loss at 16 wks in Oct 2012. Now pregnant again! :)
Moderate HG with DD '07 and DD '10, both homebirths, angel baby Oct of 2012.
"Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
faithlove
Been There Done That

Postby KSpencer » Sep 04, 2012 4:58 pm

I hope that a serious clinical study will be done in regards to the safety during pregnancy and efficacy in resolving HG. I have not tried it, because I don't have enough information, and there's the issue that even in states where medical cannabis is legal, it is usually prohibited for use during pregnancy. There's also the fact that some HMOs, including Kaiser, will not participate even if in a state where there is medical cannabis. In fact, Kaiser does blood draws to test for drugs and are mandatory reporters to CPS. At this point the only information we have is from propaganda, a few pilot studies and some testimonials. I don't know if it really is they holy grail that I read about in the testimonials, but it sounds like it is worth the research.
KSpencer

Postby HG Mommy » Oct 16, 2012 10:12 am

The only concern I have is the chemicals used in the preparation of the herb before you consume it. What fertilizers and pesticides are you introducing to your unborn child? I wish I could know that. I support it's use in the treatment of HG if it allows you to eat and drink, especially when no other drug is working. Btw, none of the antiemetics prescribed in the U.S. are tested for use in pregnant women. It's always a matter of risk v.benefit.
HG Mommy

Postby Amy83 » Nov 22, 2012 1:49 am

I am currently 6months into HG and judge me all you like the pot works for me.
I started about 2 months ago. The pills didn't work and I was desperate.
All those pills scared me.
I didn't want my baby to die.
I researched as much as I could. The benifets outway the risks!
It's been used for thousands of years in many cultures for pregnancy and
Childbirth. I met parents who smoked (hippys lol) and I met
The kids who were perfectly healthy, doctors, vets ect
It really has changed my nightmare into a bad dream.
The relief was almost instant. I can eat most days, sleep longer blocks, fluids
Are easy and somedays I can even go to the shop.
If I stop smoking it for a day I'm sick as a dog again.
But no more tablets ect ect.
I'm still sick a few times in 24hours.
But it's nothing compard to how I am without my medicine.
I've now put on 1.5kg and my baby is at normal size.
It makes me so mad as I now as I truly believe
And am proof that some of you may not have to suffer so badly!
It's a herb unlike the chemicals, needles and tubes.
Good luck! Xoxo
Amy83

Postby HannahBean » Dec 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Hello,
As I have been researching this option, I came across this article: http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/2002-03-04-4.pdf. Very reassuring, and her description of HG is very validating for us, who know its true horror.
Hannah 8/17/09 HG wk5-22, MS wk35-38, IUGR/Preeclampsia-induced 38 wks

"A hand fell on my shoulder and a voice said reassuringly: 'Cheer up, things could get worse'. So I cheered up and sure enough, things got worse."[/color]
HannahBean

Postby faithlove » Dec 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks for sharing Hannah! That was a great link.
Loss at 16 wks in Oct 2012. Now pregnant again! :)
Moderate HG with DD '07 and DD '10, both homebirths, angel baby Oct of 2012.
"Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
faithlove
Been There Done That

Postby outsidespace » Dec 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Such a compelling article, HannahBean. Thanks for the link!

Out of unisom+b6, zofran, and marijuana, marijuana has been the most effective at treating my HG. That being said, I'm only at 8 weeks (HG started ~5w) and it sadly seems like it's ramping up. Not sure what other alternatives I should be seeking, aside from an IV pump. While zofran is usually good at keeping me from vomiting for a couple hours, marijuana will rid the vomiting and most of the nausea *and* stimulate my hunger and thirst. However, as the intensity of HG increases, the effects of smoking usually only last a few hours. Unlike Lin Curry (the author in the article), a few puffs doesn't last me all day or night, but that could be because I already had a tolerance... Lin Curry was new to marijuana. (To mitigate the effects of smoking, I use a water pipe and use an organic hemp wick. In spite of its flaws, smoking has been the best means of quick and accurate dosing.) I've also used edibles to great success, although they are usually a little heavier and so I limit those to the weekends. I still end up vomiting at least once a day, usually in the morning and/or middle of the night, because i can't medicate fast enough. It's not a magic bullet for me, but it's the best thing out there that i'm comfortable taking.

There is no question marijuana has been keeping me out of the hospital and keeping my weight loss to a minimum. Not only does it diminish the nausea and vomiting, but it helps me nourish and hydrate. Given all my food aversions at this point, this is not an understated accomplishment.
outsidespace

Postby JessicaMay » Jan 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Have a look at my link hun. Am happy to answer any Q's.
JessicaMay

Postby argirl26 » Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm

If marijuana were legal in my state, I would try it in a heartbeat. It seems like such a waste of a natural herb for it to be denied to someone who truly needs it. I would much rather use mj than chemically-formulated drugs like Zofran. It really angers me to think that there is something out there that might help me with my appetite, nausea, and vomiting, and there is no way to get it without worrying about my kids being taken away or being in trouble with the law.
DD - 1/25/2011 - Moderate HG 7-14 weeks (Zofran/Unisom/IV fluids/Zantac/lots of bed rest/-12% body weight)
#2 - EDD 6/17/2013 - Moderate HG 8 - ? weeks (Zofran/steroids/Protonix/ IV fluids/TPN through central line/-11% body weight so far)

hgdiaries.wordpress.com
argirl26
Been There Done That

Postby argirl26 » Jan 12, 2013 10:15 pm

I was reading an article on Yahoo Health about superfoods, and one of them was hemp seed. It's legal, is a "cousin" to marijuana, and has many of the same benefits. Has anyone tried this? Apparently you can get them at any natural food store. I also found them on Amazon.
http://www.purehealingfoods.com/hempHeartsInfo.php
DD - 1/25/2011 - Moderate HG 7-14 weeks (Zofran/Unisom/IV fluids/Zantac/lots of bed rest/-12% body weight)
#2 - EDD 6/17/2013 - Moderate HG 8 - ? weeks (Zofran/steroids/Protonix/ IV fluids/TPN through central line/-11% body weight so far)

hgdiaries.wordpress.com
argirl26
Been There Done That

Postby babygiggles04 » Jan 25, 2014 8:44 am

I read this a few days ago and decided to try mj for this pregnancy. This is #6 and I was getting the feeling that hg was getting closer at 5 weeks. I woke up one day and was starting to experience major nausea. I told my husband that I was going to try mj that there is no way I was goinh through hg. He got me some and I smoked it. wow!!!!!! Instant relief nausea gone! I ate my lunch with no problem drank my water! So this is day #6 on mj... I wake up with nausea I smoke it and bam gone! !! Its been amazing so I will continue to use it as needed.
Mom to
Yariliz Angelie 2/1/1999 --- severe HG
Gabriela Ailsa 6/19/2002 --- severe HG
Kaleb Joel 3/3/2005 ----severe HG
Sarit Zoe 5/22/2007---- severe HG
Jahziel Eli 1/16/10----- severe HG (worse yet)
Expecting #6 EDD 9/17/14
babygiggles04
Been There Done That

Postby Hollywiredo » Feb 18, 2014 4:49 pm

Instant relief for sure
Hollywiredo

Postby BoBaby » May 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Rather than smoking MJ, the best option is to work with a medical marijuana dispensary to get the CBD oil portion of the plant. It comes mixed with little or no THC so you don't feel stoned but. You get the relief from the nausea and can eat. Some doctors are hesitant because some studies have shown risk of ADHD and behavior issues in the kids- but this was with smoking it and we know that's worse.
DS 2011- HG- B6/Doxylamine/Zofran/Phenergan IV fluids, vomited to 26 weeks, nauseated to 41. Very healthy baby.
Pregnant again April 2014. Hoping early aggressive treatment helps.
BoBaby

Postby SkarletGirl » Jul 28, 2014 4:02 pm

I definitely think that medical marijuana is awesome for HG, and works for 77% of women who try it. It doesn't take much (so, you don't have to get "high"), and it looks safer than even Zofran - with Zofran, it looks like 8% end up with an Autism spectrum disorder, and another 12% of the kids end up with some developmental problems.

With Marijuana, it can't cause anything as severe as autism - the biggest risk would be that your kid is slightly more distractable (which is something that can be changed over time, btw, with brain exercises and supplements). Even that is only likely to happen if there is a lot of use in the third trimester (critical for brain development). So for HG cases that wrap up in month 5 or 6, nothing at all to worry about. It also can be taken more frequently than Zofran can (if there is need).

I wouldn't be surviving this pregnancy at all, except for my constant supply of weed. I do live in Co, where I can buy it legally.
SkarletGirl

Postby Jn4 » Aug 31, 2014 7:55 pm

I am pregnant with my 4th kiddo, 10wks. Ain't nobody got time for HG around here. My last pregnancy, HG was the worst PICC for 6mo, Zofran which I started needing larger and larger doses which of course increased the headache and constipation side effects 10 fold. Basically things that once worked became less successful. So with this sweet surprise, I need and want to try something different. I live in Mpls, MN and I believe, medical Marijuana became legal a few months ago. Can anyone here recommend a doctor that is open and willing to prescribe medical Marijuana to pregnant women. I'm still researching information in/about my state and medical Marijuana. If anyone can help that would be so so wonderful and helpful
Jn4

Next

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies