any tips for showering with a PICC?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

any tips for showering with a PICC?

Postby rachelandtyke » Jul 30, 2012 6:22 pm

And specifically, washing longish hair?

I've got a power PICC in my upper right arm with fluids running part of the day and zofran running continously. With the zofran going, it was hard to feel like I got a good seal around top and bottom with the Glad Press and Seal. I was concerned water would get in if I raised my arm at all. I could wash well enough, who cares about shaving legs when I'm in bed all day except for OB visits? But my hair gets to me after a bit and I need to wash it at least once a week. How have others done it?
DD1 7/22/05 HG 6-18 weeks
DS 6/17/09 HG 6 weeks-delivery at 37 weeks
DD2 2/25/13 HG 6 weeks-delivery at 38w5d
rachelandtyke
Opinionated HGer

Re: any tips for showering with a PICC?

Postby Pamcakes » Jul 30, 2012 7:29 pm

You should be able to get showering supplies from your home care company. Mine gives me shower gloves - disposable plastic gloves that go from fingertips to shoulder. They also give me tape to secure the top around my arm. I like foam tape for getting a good seal, but it needs to be reinforced with silk tape or else it will loosen. So I get the gloves, foam tape, and silk tape. Good luck!
Pamela

Lauren (2004). HG from week 6 to delivery. Zofran, reglan, phenergan, unisom and B6, protonix, prednisone, PICC, IV hydration, and TPN.
Angel baby (April, 2011)
Madeleine (2012). HG from week 5 to delivery. Zofran, phenergan, unisom, protonix, Zantac, PICC, TPN, and IV hydration.
Pamcakes
Welcomed Friend

Postby Brynn1984 » Jul 30, 2012 9:13 pm

I always took a ziploc bag and cut it so I could put my arm through it. Then I put it over my PICC and sealed the top and bottom with waterproof tape. Also I found that I could keep the PICC out of the water best when I used a shower chair. Have you given that a try yet?
Baby boy Benjamin born on 10.22.12!
Severe HG week 5 - 18, Moderate HG week 19 - 22, Mild HG week 23 - 30
Treatments: PICC line with TPN, Midline with fluids, Zofran, Ativan, Zoloft, Protonix, Milk of Magnesia
Total weight loss: 25 pounds

http://irondadblog.wordpress.com/

Brynn1984
Been There Done That

Postby CarliBear » Aug 22, 2012 9:05 am

I would take good old saran wrap and wrap it up really really nicely from the middle of your forearm all the way to your armpit and then tape it significantly at the ends. This always managed to keep any water out and I never had a problem.

One thing nurses kept suggesting to me was installing a detachable sprayer head- I never did this but must say from using them in my hospital stays it really is a useful tool.

severe HG from week 4- delivery at 38 weeks. countless IV's, four PICC lines, one portacath, 3 blood infections, eighteen ER visits, seven hospital admissions, so many medications, 24-7 fluids and zofran pump. born perfect on 7.28.12.
CarliBear
Been There Done That

Postby neiladvani89 » Feb 04, 2013 11:31 pm

It's called the Dry Pro PICC Protector. It is a shower cover for it, that slips onto your arm over the PICC line, and then you use the provided pump to suction the air out from between the cover and your arm.

theyogakids.com
neiladvani89

Postby MamaYaks » May 14, 2013 10:08 am

I had my PICC in from 22weeks till I was induced at 39weeks. I used saran wrap. I found that the cheaper the clingier. My PICC was in my left upper arm, so I would wrap my arm generously when I was able to do it myself, or i would have my husband wrap it. Having someone else do it usually meant the saran wrap stayed much better.
MamaYaks

Postby Nardles81 » May 17, 2013 12:37 am

I had the dry pro picc protector too. It's a little pricey but it enabled me to use both arms with less worry about the site getting wet. Before I got it i had my mom help me wash my hair because I was just too scared to put that arm near the water even with Saran and tape. When she wasn't around I just did a crappy job with one arm. I also drastically lowered my standards for cleanliness :)
DD 4/7/07 fluffy
DD 8/13/10 hg weeks 7-delivery at 37 weeks, iv fluids, zofran pump weeks 15-31
DD 6/23/13 hg weeks 4-33 weeks when induced for preeclampsia.
This time I had... iv fluids, reglan, zofran pump, phenergan, unisom/b6, pepcid, protonix, picc line with tpn, methyprednisolone
Nardles81
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies