Do the steroids help w/ nausea, vomiting, or both?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

For those who have taken steroids for HG, how did it help your HG?

Helped with nausea, but not vomiting.
No votes
Eliminated nausea, but not vomiting.
No votes
Reduced vomiting, but not nausea.
25%
Eliminated vomiting, but not nausea.
No votes
Reduced both nausea and vomiting.
25%
Eliminated both nausea and vomting.
25%
Steroids provided no relief for me.
25%

Total votes : 8

Do the steroids help w/ nausea, vomiting, or both?

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 04, 2004 3:29 pm

Hi,

Just had a gal in the 1st tri. folder ask if the steroids help w/ nausea, vomiting, or both, so thought I'd ask here w/ a poll.

Andy
Last edited by Ivydragon on Aug 08, 2004 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 04, 2004 9:56 pm

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing the replies.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby MamaLily » Aug 04, 2004 10:32 pm

Hi!

I took steroids for 2+ months, starting at 11 weeks and weaning when my body was good and ready! Steroids helped stop my weight loss, which no other medicine or hydration had been able to do. (Although I think the NG tube feedings, which I started a couple days after steroids, also helped stop my weight loss. I don't know if one was more important than the other in this respect.) I did not vomit as much when I started the steroids. But the nausea was still ever-present. I think I could function a little bit better with steroids - and when I say "function," I mean I could stand to have the light on and to watch black and white TV ("Leave it to Beaver" was my entertainment for weeks, LOL) and to read a little bit at a time. So I still had the tortuous nausea all day long with steroids, but I guess my body was in better shape. I will plan on using them with any future pregnancies, if necessary.

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby Mar2 » Aug 05, 2004 9:58 am

Hey Andy,
I took steroids from week 6 to week 35 when I delivered. The HG seemed more severe than with my first pgcy but I received great care, which was not the case with my first pregnancy. I did not notice any relief in vomiting or nausea that I could attribute to the steriods. The vomiting did slow later in the pgcy, but I attribute that to zofran and the pgcy stage. There was never much relief from the nausea.

The caveat is that I did not take the typical HG regimen...I took a steady dose (I think 20 mgs) throughout the pgcy.

I wonder if a poll option for those of us who did not get HG relief from steriods would be helpful.

Thanks for listening/reading.
Marla
------------------------------------------------
HG PG 1: miscarried at 16 weeks 3/18/2002
HG PG 2: baby girl 5/29/2003
Step-Son: born 11/26/1990 (acquired May 1997)
Mar2
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 08, 2004 1:14 pm

You're right. I'm new at doing these polls, and so I'm not yet accomstomed to thinking of all the angles. Thanks for the suggestion, it is really important to have that vote in there!

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

RELIEF FROM STEROIDS

Postby amylds » Aug 26, 2004 11:02 pm

During the initial steroid blast, I had complete freedom from both nausea and vomiting from the steroids. When my taper got down to 4mg/day some of the nausea and vomiting came back so now I'm back to combining zofran with the methylpred but it's a gazillion times better than when I was on zofran alone. Zofran doesn't do much for me on the nausea side. I would definitely plan on steroids for a future pregnancy--in fact I wouldn't have considered another pregnancy without the option.
HG survivor and crazy enough to do it again (and again).
amylds

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies