Can third trimester relapse be avoided?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Can third trimester relapse be avoided?

Postby LadyBug1 » Dec 28, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm doing really well right now and was thinking about weaning down and maybe off the zofran. I was wondering, though, if anyone knows if staying medicated might help me avoid the third trimester relapse? (They seem to be common and I had one last time.) I'm fine staying on the zofran or trying to go off, and I think my doctor feels the same, though not paying for it would be nice. Anyone know, have theories or experiences?
DD 05/2010 - moderate HG 7-20 weeks (phenegran, IV fluids/zofran), mild HG 20-birth, lost 11% bodyweight
DS 05/2013 - mild HG 6 weeks - 35 weeks (zofran, zantac, B6, tums, colace), MS 35-birth (zofran as needed), lost 7% bodyweight

Tubal ligation following the birth of DS.

My perfect family was worth every minute.
LadyBug1
Been There Done That

Re: Can third trimester relapse be avoided?

Postby joy_g » Dec 29, 2012 5:03 pm

well, it's always more effective to prevent a relapse than to manage one after it starts. do you remember what week it hit last time? maybe don't try to wean until after that point?

of course, with #1 i felt "better" from 36-39w, and then with #2 it just kept getting worse and worse until birth, so... there's no guarantee it'll be identical this time.
just call me Mighty Mom. (mighty what i'm not gonna say.)
DD May 2008
DS New Year's Eve, 2011
DD May 2013 HG 5w-delivery every single time.
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Re: Can third trimester relapse be avoided?

Postby rachelandtyke » Dec 29, 2012 5:20 pm

I didn't stop, attempt to wean off, or decrease any meds, and I'm dealing with a 3rd trimester relapse. If I had gone off the pump, I probably would have ended up in the hospital it came on so fast (I don't respond to oral zofran, so would have had to get set up with a pump again and probably would have been too dehydrated to avoid a stay by the time that could happen).
DD1 7/22/05 HG 6-18 weeks
DS 6/17/09 HG 6 weeks-delivery at 37 weeks
DD2 2/25/13 HG 6 weeks-delivery at 38w5d
rachelandtyke
Opinionated HGer

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies