Got my Prednisone Rx today!

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Got my Prednisone Rx today!

Postby leahmsilverman » Feb 01, 2013 2:43 pm

I saw my doctor today and he gave me an rx for Prednisone (*finally* He was waiting for me to be at least 12 weeks).

The rx is for 5mg, taken once a day. I'm comfortable with that, since it seems like several other ladies around here have had success with the same dosage. He wants me to try it for 10 days, and if I'm doing well try taking it every other day. I nodded and smiled, but mostly just plan on not trying that for awhile. At least until I know I'm doing much better than I am now. Probably 20 weeks.

ANYWAY, my big question for those that have done prednisone, how long before I know if it is working? I'll take my first dose tonight. Will I feel better tomorrow? Will I perhaps be able to eat some football food on Sunday? Or did it take several days before you really felt the difference. I just want to know when to call the doc and ask for a higher dosage if I think it isn't working.

Thanks!
DS 12/22/08, hg from 10wks to birth
DS 09/15/10, hg from 6wks to birth
DS due in 08/2013, hg from 4wks to birth

Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC)
leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Re: Got my Prednisone Rx today!

Postby DebbieS » Feb 01, 2013 5:53 pm

The effect of prednisone is progressive, the more days you are on it the more the effect builds up. 3 days for me was the point where I noticed a big difference. It does very much depend on dose though.. 5mg is very small.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby joy_g » Feb 01, 2013 7:31 pm

i felt better within about 24hrs, but always started with a much higher dose. so i'd have had like 30mg +/- in my system and be feeling better.
i absolutely love my prednisone, and hope it works for you! as DebbieS said, 5mg is quite a low dose. the lowest dose that prevents vomiting for me is around 20mg/day. if it's helping and you feel like more would be better, don't be afraid to ask for a higher dose.
just call me Mighty Mom. (mighty what i'm not gonna say.)
DD May 2008
DS New Year's Eve, 2011
DD May 2013 HG 5w-delivery every single time.
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Postby aaronsmommy » Feb 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Yes, some people do well with 5 mg, but that is at the end of a taper, or as a maintenance dose (which some people don't need at all). Usually you start with 40-50 or so and slowly decrease it over 2 weeks. 5 is ridiculously low as a starting dose. I certainly home it works for you, but if it doesn't work, don't take that as "steroids don't work" just that a teeny, tiny, itsy, bitsy dose of steroids didn't work, and consider asking for real doses in the future.

Anything less than 24mgs/day did nothing at all for me.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby leahmsilverman » Feb 02, 2013 8:24 am

The reasoning behind the low dose is that I was managing without it "okay" with everything else I'm on. My weight has been stable for two weeks. My food repertoire had increased, and I was staying hydrated. Only vomiting once a day, and sometimes not at all. But, as I explained to my doctor, I felt like I was just barely holding it together. So we're thinking I just need something to push me over the fluffy edge. I don't need to stop vomiting anymore, I just need an appetite.

After what you guys have said here, it makes more sense that my doc kept talking about doing a ten day trial. It seems like it might take that long for such a low dose to build up in my system? I'll give it a week or so, then will consider asking him to raise it.

I took my first pill last night and actually feel better this morning. Perhaps it is just the placebo effect, but I don't care. I'll take what I can get.

I think I also might reintroduce Unisom/B6. I couldn't take it early on because it actually made me feel worse. I'm in a better place now though. I think it might be worth another shot.

leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Postby joy_g » Feb 03, 2013 10:12 pm

you could definitely try reintroducing b6/unisom. i know that at various times during my pregnancies different combos of meds have helped/not helped/made things worse. it can depend on so many factors...hormone levels, hydration levels, phase of the moon, or possibly even that stupid groundhog's shadow... for all i know!
i'm all for placebos, too. if it makes me feel better, i'm soooo game!

i know that for me, prednisone occasionally increases my appetite, but mostly it takes away the lump in my throat.

good luck and hope you continue to improve!
just call me Mighty Mom. (mighty what i'm not gonna say.)
DD May 2008
DS New Year's Eve, 2011
DD May 2013 HG 5w-delivery every single time.
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Postby leahmsilverman » Feb 18, 2013 11:11 am

Just an update on how I'm doing on my super low dose of prednisone:

I'm up to eating about 1,600 calories (*almost* adequate for my height and stature) a day and taking in about 50 ounces of fluid (probably about 2/3 of what I really need, but much better than the 10 ounces I was getting before). I attribute this to the prednisone, but recognize it could be just because I've made it out of the hell that is first trimester.

Mostly what is holding me back from getting 100% of the food and fluids I need is the constant disgusting taste in my mouth. You know the one. It just kinda keeps me feeling nauseated all the time. And I don't think more prednisone is going to help with that. But, I have an appt with my OB on Wednesday and we'll talk it over.

leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies