Magnesium on my skin has cured me???? 4th HG pregnancy!

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Magnesium on my skin has cured me???? 4th HG pregnancy!

Postby faithlove » Feb 03, 2013 8:14 pm

I have had a breakthrough with my fourth hyperemesis pregnancy. I am currently 11 weeks, which would normally just be going into the very worst phase for me. But everything changed two days ago (the day after I had to get IV fluids for dehydration!) when I saw a doula I know post on Facebook that she was making her own magnesium spray, and she linked to an article about magnesium and pregnancy. Before I get into the article and my results, I want to say, I’ve followed a WAPF style super healthy diet the last two years and the last two pregnancies have been somewhat easier. But still, it’s months of bedrest, at least two, because I am too sick to move, zofran and b6/combo and constantly battling dehydration. We lost baby 3 because of severe dehydration, IMO.

The article said that magnesium does not absorb all that well when taken orally, and is much more bioavailable when taken through your skin, PLUS you can’t overdose because your body self-regulates just like it does with Vit D from the sun. So that night, the day after I had to have an IV (which didn’t work out at all because I fainted a few minutes in and they had to pull it out), I took an epsom salt bath. I felt so good while in the bath, and I was able to drink a glass AND A HALF of water! This is a huge amount for me in one sitting, I’m lucky to drink that in 8 hours. I went to bed that night with no nausea or vomiting. The next day I took another bath, and again felt better. I set out to get the magnesium spray that is more pure and is a lot easier than taking a bath constantly. I started using the magnesium oil spray later that day and I have started being able to get dressed and even went to church today. I am going to a super bowl party tonight, I hope. As soon as I start feeling nauseus I spray, and then it goes away! I am shocked that I have not heard about this before. Just a half hour ago I started thinking I am NOT going to be able to go out tonight, I am way too sick. Then I sprayed. Now I am dressed and ready to go. Has anyone else tried topical magnesium? I am finding it very hard to believe that this is really doing it, but I have even stopped taking my b6/unisom combo. Only taking a small dose of zofran. PM me if you have any insight on this, I'm honestly befuddled, pleased, and skeptical all at once that this could really do so much to improve my HG!

Here is blog posts about magnesium and the skin's superior method of absorbing it.
http://www.modernalternativemama.com/blog/2012/11/12/monday-health-wellness-magnesium-may-solve-common-health-issues/#.UQ8JpyfAdOw
Loss at 16 wks in Oct 2012. Now pregnant again! :)
Moderate HG with DD '07 and DD '10, both homebirths, angel baby Oct of 2012.
"Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
faithlove
Been There Done That

Re: Magnesium on my skin has cured me???? 4th HG pregnancy!

Postby leahmsilverman » Feb 03, 2013 9:21 pm

I dig this. I'm going to try an epsom salt bath and see what happens. Where do you get magnesium spray?
DS 12/22/08, hg from 10wks to birth
DS 09/15/10, hg from 6wks to birth
DS due in 08/2013, hg from 4wks to birth

Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC)
leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Postby faithlove » Feb 04, 2013 11:33 am

We found it at a health food store. I actually bottled my bath water for the ride there to put on my skin. Did the epsom salt bath make you feel any different? I am still struggling to comprehend this.
"Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
faithlove
Been There Done That

Postby leahmsilverman » Feb 04, 2013 1:39 pm

I haven't been able to try it yet. I realized when I went to take the bath last night that we were out of epsom salt! Weird, because I feel like it is the kind of thing you're always supposed to have on hand, right?

My husband is picking up some on his way home from work today, and I will try it as soon as he gets home. I live in a pretty remote area (so very, very remote), so was worried about finding the spray, but I found some good stuff on amazon.com. If the bath goes well, I'll order it and give it a try.

I'll keep you updated. Either way, I'm glad you're having some success. Who cares how or why, right? Good for you.

leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Postby joy_g » Feb 05, 2013 9:36 pm

count me in if this works for you, @leah
just call me Mighty Mom. (mighty what i'm not gonna say.)
DD May 2008
DS New Year's Eve, 2011
DD May 2013 HG 5w-delivery every single time.
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Postby leahmsilverman » Feb 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Okay, I wanted to post about this sooner, but my internet has been down. I've been dying to share!

I took my first epsom salt bath on Monday. Like a dufus, I made the water too hot. So actually sitting in the bath I didn't feel awesome, but it didn't occur to me until after I got out why. But, once I got into back in to bed and cooled down, I picked up a vitamin water and started drinking. 5 minutes later I realized I'd finished a 20 ouncer in under 5 minutes. That is REMARKABLE for me. I started to feel sick again about an hour later, but kept down the fluids. And a couple of hours later? I needed PEE, you guys. Like, actually felt like I had a full bladder. It's the little things you miss. Anyway, overall I felt like it was a good test run.

So, I tried again last night (cooler water, much more pleasant bath) and felt really good. I got out and drank about 25 ounces of water (WATER! that never happens) and ate [foodment]and egg and cheese sandwich [end foodment] which sounded good, but is not something I would normally be able to eat. It was the same in that about an hour later I started to feel sick again, and maybe a bit sicker this time because of the food still in my stomach. BUT, I kept it all down.

Since I felt pretty sick after eating, I'm not sure if it will be the pancea for me that it has been for faithlove. But, something that can help me keep down that much fluid is certainly worth a shot. I've ordered a magnesium spray (there is no where for me to buy it in my little town). It probably won't arrive until next week, so in the meantime I'm going to keep taking a daily bath. Since I generally take in 30 ounces of fluid a day, the post bath 20 ounces almost doubles my fluids. That'll do for now. Being more hydrated goes a long way in helping me feel better anyway.

leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Postby joy_g » Feb 07, 2013 12:24 pm

all righty then, i'm definitely going to try this.
ironically, i've just last night started doing sitz baths for my horrible hemmies... and that involves soaking my unmentionables in epsom salt water. ;)
i wonder about soaking just my feet? any actual bath i take would involve a 1yr old and a 4yr old staring at me and begging to come in too.

keep us updated, please!
just call me Mighty Mom. (mighty what i'm not gonna say.)
DD May 2008
DS New Year's Eve, 2011
DD May 2013 HG 5w-delivery every single time.
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Postby faithlove » Feb 07, 2013 12:25 pm

I am so glad to hear it is helping you drink!! I have continued to spray myself when I feel nauseas but sometimes it really works and sometimes it doesn't seem to do much. If I let my stomach get completely empty, it doesn't seem to help a whole lot. But the utter PAIN I was in non-stop has greatly improved and I know the magnesium is a big part of it.

Also, and I plan to post about this separately once I've been on it longer, but my Dr just prescribed a natural form of progesterone administered in a troche (dissolves on your gum) and I have continued to improve. I've only been on it two days and had a rough morning today but yesterday, I went to the gym and walked on the track, I just felt so abnormally NORMAL. Between that and the magnesium, I am out of bed and doing moderate stuff. And nausea comes and goes but I am in heaven, bc I was thinking I'd be in bed fighting dehydration and depression for at least another month.
faithlove
Been There Done That

Postby RalphsMom » Feb 08, 2013 12:50 pm

I've just recently been reading about magnesium during pregnancy and am also going to do this ASAP. I struggle with health issues even when I'm not pregnant so I've been researching this stuff a lot and can't believe I haven't tried this yet. Another thing I want to try is bentonite clay.

Many sites I read warned against it but then others say it cures morning sickness and is perfectly safe during pregnancy and while nursing. I believe the clay and magnesium are under-rated just like Vitamin D or C and the like (probably because they're cheap and they work and can't be prescribed or patented). If HG is an allergy or imbalance which I've seen suggested, then why wouldn't regulating our nutrient deficiencies help correct it?

Now my only problem is finding someone to go get this stuff for me! I will post again once I've tried it but before I finish this post, something else I've tried (will start a new post for it) is oil pulling due to a sore tooth and found that it also increased my energy and ability to keep more fluids in. While you're researching magnesium, do a search for oil pulling too!
RalphsMom

Postby mzzzny » Feb 10, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi! This is amazing news for you, and such valuable information! I actually read the same post from modern alternative mamma on FB, but wasn't sure how to make it or which one to buy. Will you please tell me the brand that you purchased at the health food store??? Thank you again!!! :)

DS: Severe HG (6 weeks - 14 weeks), Moderate HG (14 weeks - 23 weeks), Mild HG (23 weeks - delivery at 38 weeks).
mzzzny
Welcomed Friend

Postby mzzzny » Feb 10, 2013 11:40 pm

Also, I hope this is okay to post here - I created a FB group for women who are attempting to prevent HG in future pregnancies and also for women who have used preventative strategies and are currently pregnant. It's a forum where we shared ideas and hopes for a pregnancy without HG, or at least a decrease in symptoms. If you are interested in joining, please pm me.
Good luck to everyone.

DS: Severe HG (6 weeks - 14 weeks), Moderate HG (14 weeks - 23 weeks), Mild HG (23 weeks - delivery at 38 weeks).
mzzzny
Welcomed Friend

Postby leahmsilverman » Feb 18, 2013 11:03 am

Just wanted to give you guys an updated on my magnesium trials. I got the oil last week and started using it. I've been rubbing it into the soles of my feet before putting socks on.

I'm not finding that it makes me feel, like, "all better". BUT, when I use before I need to get something done (going to the doctor's office, picking up a kid from preschool, etc.) is gives me the energy boost I need to get through the task. I can drink more fluids after I apply it, which is always good. It hasn't helped my appetite or food aversions, sadly, but I'm not ruling it out as something to use when I need it. Just the energy boost alone is worth it, amiright?

leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Postby faithlove » Feb 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Yeah, I've continued to use it too. It's not a cure all, and I think initially it helped a little more than it is helping now that I have raised my magnesium level overall. But it does help when I am on the verge. And it does seem to help with my nausea quite a bit, esp when I first apply it. I feel like it marked a turning point for me. I had a terrible day today and I hadn't used the spray or an epsom bath in two day because I sort of forgot.
faithlove
Been There Done That

Postby RachelD » Apr 29, 2013 3:40 pm

HI,

So I'm new to these forums, I've been lurking for a few months off and on but haven't ever posted. I feel like I've been searching for answers to hyperemesis for years. I have 5 kids, and had differing degrees of sickness with every pregnancy, though I had severe debilitating nausea with every one. I was always in bed from 6-8 weeks until 20-24 weeks (of pregnancy) and then I would usually recover while pregnant until the end. My fourth was my absolute worst, I should have been hospitalized, I'm convinced now, but I had lost all faith in doctors or the medical community by then. (incidentally, she was my only girl) With my 5th, I started taking zofran right away and didn't get nearly as sick. My 4th pregnancy still makes me shudder when I think of it.

Anyway, this thread brought me out of lurkdom because I've come across several blog posts in the last year that have indicated that magnesium can help. I've been skeptical but this is getting me excited.

So here's the initial one I read (I'm especially skeptical of people who didn't suffer from it themselves, declaring they have the answers (based on research!) without any anecdotal evidence that it works, but here it is.) http://www.mommypotamus.com/the-real-cause-of-morning-sickness/

I've been getting into Real food, WAPF, Gaps and the like for the last 2 years (during my fifth pregnancy) and have been reading more and more about magnesium deficiency, even outside of pregnancy and have found I'm definitely deficient. From my research, even when you're not pregnant you should be taking magnesium because most people are deficient and you should try to get it from a number of sources.) You can learn a lot from the book, The Magnesium Miracle by Dr. Carolyn Dean.

Now, the magnesium oil. Everyone makes a big deal about using magnesium chloride flakes but this article changed my opinion about it: http://culinarytidbits.com/how-to-make-magnesium-oil-spray-painless/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=how-to-make-magnesium-oil-spray-painless
It basically says that it's the chloride that makes your skin sting and epsom salts are just as good, if not better as a spray. So you can just make your own and for pretty cheap. Dissolve epsom salts in water and spray on. Foot baths are good as well as baths.

The main takeaway for me is that it looks like the best thing to do is to fix your nutritional deficiencies before pregnancy and then of course, see if you can maintain that throughout pregnancy. (Which seems impossible if you can't keep food down, but there you go.)

And again, I just wanted to reiterate, I haven't tried this, I'm researching (and totally excited that someone found that it helped). Also, I have found other research about magnesium that might be helpful, if anyone is interested.

Also, what's the FB group called? I'd be interested in joining if it's open to people like me.
RachelD

Postby mzzzny » May 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi Rachel,

Thank you also for sharing your story and the info on Magnesium. I'm currently trying to build up my magnesium (among many other things) before I ttc again. The link for the fB group is below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PreventHG/

mzzzny
Welcomed Friend

Postby sumaiya » Jul 09, 2013 11:56 pm

related links:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/epsom-salt-baths-improve-health/

http://familynaturally.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/healing-naturally-how-i-cured-my-morning-sickness/4

http://wellnessmama.com/5804/how-to-make-your-own-magnesium-oil/
Dr Sumaiya
BUMS,R.D,GP and Nutritionist
in 1st HG Preg
https://www.facebook.com/pages/NutriCar ... 32?ref=hl#
sumaiya

Postby Laura2014 » Oct 01, 2014 10:01 am

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if you would recommend magnesium for HG. Thank you.

Laura
Laura2014

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies