Progression of HG while on meds

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Progression of HG while on meds

Postby SEW » Apr 14, 2013 10:16 am

My HG started at 5 weeks 2 days, and within 12 hours of its onset, I was on 4mg Zofran every 8 hours. Within two more days, I had added 1/2 tablet Unisom every 6 hours. I had not thrown up ANY since starting the Zofran, and the Unisom has really taken the edge off the nausea.

NOW, I'm at 7 weeks, and 30 minutes after I took my Zofran/Unisom dose, I threw up water twice. Is it normal for HG to get worse at this time and have to up my meds periodically? I've heard of it STARTING at 7 weeks and getting worse at 12, so I don't know what the deal is with me.

*Also, I've been constipated again, so I took some MOM. I was feeling sick before I took this, and the MOM didn't make me sick when I took it a week ago. I just ate a juicy filet of steak and mashed potatoes last night... WTH???
DS born November 2013. Mild HG from 5 weeks - 14 weeks, NVP til delivery.
Expecting #2 due March 2015. NVP began 4 weeks. Early treatment with Zofran and Doxyl., increasing dosage as symptoms worsen.
SEW
Welcomed Friend

Re: Progression of HG while on meds

Postby DebbieS » Apr 14, 2013 6:33 pm

Yes, it is very normal to have to regularly up your meds. HG often increases throughout the first trimester. Also HG is changeable & relapses common. For me last preg starting meds early delayed the onset of HG by a couple of weeks, but at week 8 I quickly got worse and I couldn't manage my hydration (and week 9 went on steroids which helped control the HG again). Throughout the pregnancy my meds needs changed. HG can get worse quickly, so it's important to stay on top of your meds by increasing doses/changing or adding meds/changing the form the med is in.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Re: Progression of HG while on meds

Postby serephimlafey » Apr 14, 2013 7:05 pm

I started this pregnancy out with having to take 4mg of zofran 4 times a day. That was when i was six weeks along. Now at 10 weeks i am on zofran 4mg 4x a day, 10mg reglen 2x a day, 50mg Benadryl 2x a day, 20mg pepcid 2x a day and an antibiotic for a few more days from the bladder infection i got from being dehydrated. I'm looking forward to when it hopefully goes down.
Barbara
Mommy to
Eli, Dec 02, first hg baby
Luc, Mar 06, second hg baby
Mairin Jade, Nov 13, 3rd hg baby
And baby #4 due early Aug. Hg from 5 weeks
serephimlafey
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies