Reglan Pump Question

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Reglan Pump Question

Postby oodlesofnoodles » Jan 18, 2006 12:19 am

Wondering who is on a Reglan pump. My ob chose Reglan over Zofran for the pump, but I take Zofran 8 mg ODT up to three times a day for breakthrough nausea.

If I miss changing a cartridge right away, I am super sick again for a couple hours. It seems like missing some seems to affect me.

Also, my legs are swollen and red at the sites. I have scar tissue up and down my legs from the last few sites and I get massive swelling and itching after about 6 hours with a new site.

I have had it for about five weeks now - it has definitely been a lifesaver but I am wondering how long I will be wearing it. Doc thinks we can take it out soon, but I fear doing so since I feel so rotten if more than 30 minutes passes between old and new cartridges.

Also, any suggestions on dealing with the swelling, itching, hard site spots all over my legs? I am scratching ALL the time, have put warm wash cloths as directed by the nurse on the sites but the swelling, redness and itchiness persists. I don't think it's an infection since it happens every time on every site.

I know I would be a wreck without the pump and am so grateful for it but I can't stand the scratching and swelling, lol!!

Heidi
dd 3.02
edd 7.06
oodlesofnoodles

Postby Alison » Jan 21, 2006 1:16 am

You might try Neosporin (sp?). It works really well for exema, which I have. Exema causes red irritated skin that itches and even sometimes burns. Also, when I had stitches, they told me to put Neosporin on them every day to help with the scars, etc. Let me know what you think about that. Hope this helps.
-5 Little Angel Babies with Jesus-
www.enivamembers.com/vitalhealth
Alison
Been There Done That

Postby PamelaRose » Jan 21, 2006 10:47 am

Insurance companies frequently ask that Reglan be tried before Zofran because of the cost difference. If it's working, great, but you can always ask that your doctor demand Zofran.

I've heard of Benedryl being used to combat skin reactions to meds--and it also can help with nausea. Lots of women have good results with using the abdomen instead of the thighs for sub-q sites, too.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies