Too much pepcid?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Too much pepcid?

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 14, 2004 2:04 pm

Anyone out there on 40 mg of pepcid twice a day? (total 80mg)

My doc ordered it and my pharmacist acts really unhappy about it.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 14, 2004 3:06 pm

I started with 40, then 60 for the majority of my pg. I'm pretty sure I went up to 80mgs for a bit and when that didn't work we added protonix.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby carriedodson » Aug 14, 2004 8:49 pm

If your dr. said it was ok, I would trust him over the pharmacist. Do what you can, pepcid helps big time- I'm sure a little extra wouldn't help.
Wish I knew more. Good luck
Carrie
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Postby RebeccaM » Aug 15, 2004 3:54 pm

I agree with Carrie, the pharmacist is not your doctor. You've found something that works well for you that was prescribed by your doctor and I would stick with it.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby mom2matt » Aug 15, 2004 6:16 pm

Heres some of the topics found via internet regarding the use of pepcid, speak with your dr. I have found the alternative to not taking pepcid is not an alternative for me. Im sort of eating now, Im able to get up each morning and take my son 'out of the house' and have gained 5 lbs!!

Hope this helps:

http://www.drugs.com/pepcid.html:
Pepcid is in the FDA pregnancy category B. This means that it is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take Pepcid without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.

Pepcid passes into breast milk. It is not known whether Pepcid will harm a nursing infant. Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5472,00.html

Categories of medications based on safety and risk
Most medications, though, have not been studied or shown to be safe to this extent. For these, we are left with this guideline: Medications that are considered safe in pregnancy are those that have been used extensively in humans and don't appear to cause any major birth defects or other problems (they also have been shown not to cause birth defects in animals). The FDA classifies these drugs as Category B. Treatment with Category B medications is considered "probably safe." This group includes ampicillin, acetaminophen (Tylenol is a common brand), ibuprofen (such as Motrin) before third trimester, aspartame, caffeine in moderation, hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ), metoclopramide (Reglan), famotidine (Pepcid), loperamide (Imodium), and insulin.

Sending feel good vibes.
Shlby
mom2matt

Postby mammaclare » Aug 16, 2004 10:25 pm

I am sure that it is fine, if it were truly a danger the pharmacist would have refused to fill it.

Having said that, I have to disagree somewhat with the "trust your doc over the pharmacist". I am in the pharmaceutical industry and can guarantee you that there are SOME pharmacists who are much more infomred on safe drug levels, interactions, etc than doctors. Not always the case, but the pharmacists, especially if they have a PharmD and not an RPh, are incredibly knowledgeable.

Perhaps take the concern back to your OB and see what he/she says. If you still get reassurance from the OB then I would feel confident.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies