sonogram on gall bladder?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

sonogram on gall bladder?

Postby lbanco » Sep 10, 2004 10:22 am

Up to 24mg of Zofran and still sick. I'm 15 weeks and a few days. My OB sent me to see a GI doctor. He said he wanted to have a sonogram of my gallbladder. I've read a few things about the gallbladder on this site, but wasn't sure if that was really the cause of anyone's HG. Also, I'm worried about the saftey of such a procedure during this stage of pregnancy.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Thanks,
LBanco

P.S.
Danielle, I tried to e-mail you directly but something about my computer wouldn't let me. I'm sort of computer illiterate so maybe my husband can figure it out.
lbanco

Postby BlueEeyore » Sep 10, 2004 3:33 pm

That's what they said when my HG lasted beyond 20 weeks. Turns out I had 52 stones. BUT, I got pregnant again without a gall bladder and still have HG. I'm now almost 17 weeks along and feel just as bad as last time.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby nomore » Sep 10, 2004 7:04 pm

I had GB probelms in my 1st pregnancy with severe HG. The GB likely isnt the "cause" of the HG, but can make it worse.

By the way, a sonogram of the GB is safe when pregnant. I had a few... and one was even done my my Peri during a level 2 ultrasound, just cuz he was curoius to see how it was looking at that particular point.

Good luck. I refused surgery while pregnant and finally had my GB out last month... 17 months after my duaghter was born... wish I had done it sooner, as I feel SO SO SO much better now!

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby CharlesandKaren » Sep 25, 2004 7:56 pm

My wife had her GB removed at 17 wks. Wife and CJ came through very well. However, Karen still suffers from high levels of nausea. But she's able to eat and drink on a limited basis, and has been able to do so for 2 weeks running without vomiting (knock on wood).

Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy is one of the more common prenatal surgeries done (several drs told me it's number 2). You should read up on it. Webmd.org has some good articles on it.

I hope you find a combination that works. We're still looking (currently Zofran/Tigan/Reglan/B6).

Charles of CharlesandKaren
C.J. (Charles James) due 2/22/05
CharlesandKaren

Postby BlueEeyore » Sep 26, 2004 12:26 am

An ultrasound is a sonogram. It should be safe.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Gallbladder and HG

Postby teddi » Sep 26, 2004 2:51 pm

Yes, it's safe to have an u/s on your gallbladder while pregnant. It's really no different than one done on the uterus.

I DID have my gallbladder removed while pregnant with my son. This was in 1999, and it was done at the beginning of my 2nd trimester (16 ish weeks) by laproscopic surgery.

No, the gallbladder wasn't causing my HG. I think it was actually the OTHER way around because I had no problems with my gallbladder prior to being pregnant (I was only 22!). I did make my HG more unbearable because of the constant pain. The HG did not resolve after the surgery and unfortunately lasted until birth.

There are risks with doing the surgery of course. Even doing the "laproscopic" surgery, while less invasive, is a major surgery. You are intubated and have general anesthesia. The anesthesia doesn't usually, but CAN cross the placenta and it is a small risk, but it CAN affect the baby. The "safest" time to do the surgery is at the beginning of the 2nd trimester- when the uterus is still small enough to be out of the way and yet the risk of miscarriage is substantially lower. I don't regret doing the surgery at all. I felt it was riskier to "do nothing" and "hold on" for 5 more MONTHS *hoping* things didn't go from bad to worse. Having to have emergency surgery during the 3rd trimester would be much riskier (they literally have to cut you open and move your uterus) and raise the risk of preterm labor alot! Not to mention leave you with recently cut abdominal muscles to endure labor with!
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies