postpartum detox

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

postpartum detox

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Okay, the food orgy is over. The weight won't leave with my usual methods, and, frankly, I KNOW I need to clear my system. I've known for a while but have no discipline at this point. I'm drinking lots of water and green tea, walking, taking vitamins. All the stuff that worked in the past...sigh.

My detox plan needs help.

1. Take apple cider vinegar (waiting to hear the how tos) :wink:
2. Order foot pads.
3. Use foot pads.

Can I do 1 and 3 together?

What do practitioners monitor? watch for? If I go it on my own and slowly, is there a problem?

After 1-3...what next?
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby nomore » Aug 09, 2006 8:47 pm

Here is a summary of my post partum BODY detox.

I ended up trying a new one (to me), called Isagenix. It also promotes weight loss as an added bonus (well at least for me!!!). It helps boost your metabolism. I actually want to do another round, but, I dont want to spend the money on it again just yet!

This detox actually floods your body with essentail nutrients. And purges the toxins from your body.

I followed the 9 day cleanse, however, its really 11 days long, as I did 2 pre-cleanse days. It also cost around $150 for the program, but, it provides you with at least 75% of what you are eating for that time frame. FOODMENT: You just need 1 meal daily and some fruit for snacks (apples are recommened, but I ate apples, grapes, cherries, strawberries & blueberries too). ENDFOODMENT

Here is the website to learn more about it:

www.isagenix.com

You can order it through my natropath, PM if you want the link, or ebay (which is cheaper).

The detox helped knock away the lingering PPD, gaveme a TON more energy, and I really feel SO much more healthy. I still want to do another liver detox too. I will probably start that next week.

And, yes, wait till you are done BFing

I also plan on adding a mild liver detox to the plan soon. I think I am going to use a combo of milk thistle and dandelion root. Of which, I will start by doing 1 milk thistle capsule once a day, for 5 to 6 days, add 1 more in the evening for 5 to 6 days, till Im at the max suggested dose of thistle. Then, I will add the danelion root the same way till Im at the max suggested dose. I will do both at the max doses and wean back down till Im done. This will hopefully revive my poor liver from all the damage the excessive meds have done to it! (AGAIN- please do not attempt this while BFing).

Im intrigued by the idea of the vinegar. Ill have to look into it more. But, i would say its safe to do both. The foot pads are really more mild on the scale of detox.

Ok, you also asked about doing this under the care of a DR. Id say its not a bad idea. But, it isnt always 100% neccesary. I am doing this detox post pregnancy on my own. The key with e detox is to go SLOW. And, I mean SLOW. Detoxing can make you feel really crummy. Yeah, it can be tough to handle post HG, so do it SLOW, and it will minimize the crummyness. I think most Drs moniter to make sure you dont go too fast, help you draft the right detox plan for you, focusing on particular things.

So, for example in my liver detox Im planning, if after 5 days I start to feel really sick when I try to increase the dose, I will step it back down, as the milk thistle is working, and working well already taking the toxins out of my liver. So, I may never make it to the max doses of the herbs. And, I might need to do each as its own seperate detox. 1st milk thistle up and down, then dandelion up and down. Id probably feel less detox symptoms this way, and still get a great detox effect. Ive also been toying with the idea of doing the ecplitex, which I used as prep for HG, but decided against, as I dont want to spend the money right now.

There are SO many detoxes out there that you can search for on the web. There are food/diet based ones.... which I know Laurie did one a while back. I have some info somewhere on one... where in my house Im not 100% sure :roll: It involves a lot of fruit if Im not mistaken- orgnaic fruit.

I hope that helps. If I didnt touch on anything in particular, please let me know. Im going to sticky this post as so many people ask me about this!
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 09, 2006 8:52 pm

This is great. Thanks, Robin.

Thinking I should wait until after the tubal, eh? And not bfing, so that's not an issue.

Thank you.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby carybear » Aug 10, 2006 12:28 am

is there any sort of detox you can do while bfing?
Luvs to all,
CaryAnn
carybear
Opinionated HGer

Postby nomore » Aug 10, 2006 7:46 am

Im not a medical expert, but I would REALLY advise against detoxing while breastfeeding. The reason is, the toxins from your body (as its detoxing them) will leave the body through exits such as urine and stool. If you are breastfeeding, it will also leave the body through breastmilk. I know personally, its not something I would want to give my baby (the toxins :wink: ).

You might be able to try a very mild detox such as lemon in your water. I think some have done this while prego. That is of course, if you can drink H20 :D many have issues with that postpatarum, espeically if they had big issues with it while HGing. This lemon detox isnt very strong, and Id recommend doing a full detox once BFing is complete.

I hope that helps :)
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby HGx3 » Sep 19, 2006 11:24 pm

I still do not fully understand about detoxingbut I know I want to do so. I need to detox EVERYTHING. What should I do first? And what is this vinegar thing you speak of??? :D
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby tlm5999 » Sep 20, 2006 10:22 am

A note about the milk thistle for the liver. IT REALLY WORKS. My dad is taking it now, he's an alcoholic, because his friend from work, also an alcoholic, got diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer and started taking the milk thistle without any other treatments because dr said they would do no good, gave him a few months to live. It has now been two years and the liver has completely repaired itself as of his last appointment. :shock: So I'd definately reccommend it.
Valin 05-15-03 HG
Liam 11-19-04 HG
Anna-Marie 9-3-06 Lost an angel
Jonathan Declan 12/28/06 Lost a twin
Declan James 8-8-07 HG
Joseph 6-4-09 non-HG
tlm5999
Opinionated HGer

Postby IslandDreamer » Nov 06, 2007 12:15 pm

IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby IslandDreamer » Nov 06, 2007 12:16 pm