phenegran

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

phenegran

Postby ejoann » Nov 02, 2004 9:52 am

How much phenegran do you think its safe to take? last night I took 50 mg and still felt bad. The zofran is keeping me from throwing up but the nasea is a killer.
~i~Baby Julianna cord accident 8-10-07

~i~Rebecca (1-21-05) @24weeks IC, mild HG
~i~Quinton (5/7/2003-6/8/2003) @26weeks IC, heavy HG
~i~Elliotte (1/9/04) @17weeks SB, regular HG
42yrs old
Incompetent cervix cured by the TAC, permanently!
ejoann
Welcomed Friend

Postby mammaclare » Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm

The following is the information from www.rxlist.com, which is a detailed site for drug information:

Nausea And Vomiting: For control of nausea and vomiting, the usual adult dose is 12.5 to 25 mg, not to be repeated more frequently than every four hours. When used for control of postoperative nausea and vomiting, the medication may be administered either intramuscularly or intravenously and dosage of analgesics and barbiturates reduced accordingly.

Nausea And Vomiting: The average effective dose of promethazine HCl for the active therapy of nausea and vomiting in children or adults is 25 mg. When oral medication cannot be tolerated, the dose should be given parenterally (cf. promethazine HCl injection) or by rectal suppository. 12.5- to 25-mg doses may be repeated, as necessary, at 4- to 6-hour intervals.

Based on this, I would suggest you call your OB/MW to make sure that 50mg is okay...it sounds from the labeling information that it is too high a dose to take on a regular basis. Have you tried B6/Unisom?
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Thanks

Postby ejoann » Nov 05, 2004 5:50 pm

Thanks for the info. So if I take one 25 mg at 8pm and wait til midnight or later I can take another one if I have to. That would be a pretty bad night so hopefully one will cover it. I'm not real sure if its doing a whole lot for the nausea anyway but it will put you to sleep through the worst of if your lucky.
The Zofran is working great at the no hyperemesis but not the nausea.
~i~Baby Julianna cord accident 8-10-07

~i~Rebecca (1-21-05) @24weeks IC, mild HG
~i~Quinton (5/7/2003-6/8/2003) @26weeks IC, heavy HG
~i~Elliotte (1/9/04) @17weeks SB, regular HG
42yrs old
Incompetent cervix cured by the TAC, permanently!
ejoann
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies