Probably not the best idea but hey...

Share HG-friendly foods or simple recipe ideas.

Moderators: Cin, caleighbelle47

Probably not the best idea but hey...

Postby Proudmama » Dec 31, 2005 5:38 pm

it works :D . Like many other HGers, my tolerance for different drinks has changed drastically from the first three months of this pregnancy to now. They are totally different from my last as well. I started out not able to drink anything. Finally after a month, some juice worked. Lemonade was occasional as well. Once they no longer worked, I went to grapefruit juice and root beer. Now, the only thing that I can keep down is milk :shock: . I know, milk is not something that I could even smell last pregnancy and now it is all I drink. My stomach hurts so much because of it.
Now the totally guilty part, I found out the I can stomach Lipton Iced Tea (no lemon at all). I feel so guilty because I know that I should not have caffeine but it tastes so good :oops: . I have only had two 16 fl oz bottles over the last couple of weeks but still, I feel guilty. This is coming from the same girl that has a plastic wire hanging out of her leg, pumping in Zofran :roll: . I know, it sounds crazy but I just feel like I am doing something so wrong. Anyone else drink tea once in a while? I cannot stand decaf so that is not an option.

Thanks,
Jamie
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby Atsie » Dec 31, 2005 6:30 pm

Don't worry about the caffenine! Don't drink 8 gallons a day but if you can drink it, do! I limited myself to one or two pop a day that had caffine. It helped with fluid intake so I was happy!!!!!!!

But don't tell any fluffies or Dr's on me!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Proudmama » Dec 31, 2005 6:48 pm

I promise I will keep my mouth shut :wink: . OK, so maybe it will be open enough for a straw to drink some more Iced Tea but no telling any fluffies or Drs. on you, promise :lol: .

Jamie
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby caleighbelle47 » Dec 31, 2005 8:33 pm

I had a lot of cafeine while pregnant, all my doctors knew and never even said a word about it.

Research shows that pregnant women can safely consume 3 cups of coffee a day. And if they're willing to say 3 cups is safe it would take quite a bit more to cause harm. And coffee has a lot of caffeine, a lot more than soda.

I can also say that caffeine is MUCH safer to the baby than dehydration. If it works drink it and I wouldn't feel guilty.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby BrandiJK » Dec 31, 2005 8:42 pm

Oh goodness me, caffine is all I do get in most days. I can drink starbucks, foamy coffees. Decaf does not work, but various mochas do. Don't know why, don't care. All I know is I can drink them! I normally have one a day (grande) but somedays, I have 2. Also, I have 1 or 2 Dr. Peppers a day, because I can drink them.

I can not drink juice, I can not drink milk, I can only drink water very late at night...and then I am up peeing all night long...and some nights I can't drink it at all anyway. I can't even do ice. So....it's all about the caffine! But, baby and I am fine and I don't need an IV. :lol: Don't feel guilty!!!
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby HeatherJ » Jan 20, 2006 7:12 pm

I'm guilty of drinking caffeine too. I put 3 teabags into this pitcher I have, fill it with water, stick it in the fridge, and if I drink any at all, I drink the entire pitcher. Some days it sounds good, some days it doesn't... sometimes it seems to help me with the headaches from Zofran, and sometimes it doesn't.

I felt bad at first, like I was going to harm my baby, but then I talked to other people (although they all had "normal" pregnancies) and every single one of them said they drank caffeine. I agree that if doctors are willing to state "publicly" that you can have the equivalent of 3 cups of coffee/tea safely, it's probably a way higher amount that you can *actually* have.

My doctor's office (the nurse, actually) said to stay away from it. But this is also coming from an OB nurse who didn't know what Zofran was for. So I question her competence in any case. :)

IMO, you just have to eat/drink what tastes good... HG doesn't afford us much satisfaction in eating or drinking, and it can be a challenge just to stay hydrated and not lose weight.
HeatherJ

Postby AmyMCGS » Jan 28, 2006 8:25 pm

My OB nurse told me that up to 3 cups of coffee a day (or the same amount of caffeine) are fine.

My Dietician told me 2-3 servings of caffeinated beverages are fine.

That's two medical opinions... and so I don't worry if I occasionally can manage a diet Coke.
~~Amy~~ HG Survivor x2
Mom to DD, born at 33 weeks-- 4/1/03
and DS, born at 30 weeks-- 6/21/06--10 weeks early, but doing well!
AmyMCGS
Been There Done That

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 28, 2006 11:53 pm

Jamie,

Have you tried Burger King's Iced Tea? I got a supersize everyday I could. It is the one thing I'd ask dh to bring home. It saved me the entire time with Jack. I'd go cruising the highway of fastfood places near us and try different stuff in late first tri, early second. The BK iced tea quickly became my favorite and sometimes the only thing I could keep down. Jack is totally made of sugar and caffeine and Zofran.

Definitely with you on the caffeine intake. You gotta do what you gotta do to stay hydrated.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Return to Foodments