Disability Pay in California

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Disability Pay in California

Postby mmichelle » Oct 30, 2006 1:08 pm

I just want to know if anyone has any advice that would help me not be as "sol" financially as it looks like we are going to be. I was working at a job for a year and a half, but my last day was September 30. On October 1, 2006 I started a new job as an account representative (outside sales/ self employed). When I called to inquire about disability pay (I have been on the home iv therapy since 10/10) they said that I am not eligible because I am self employed and have not paid into it yet (since I only worked a few weeks). If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Thank you,
Meredith
mmichelle
Master of HG

Postby teddi » Oct 31, 2006 1:08 am

When you called who- your employer or the EDD office?

Seems to me you are still probably eligible. Folks can recieve disability (by that I mean california state disability) and not even BE working. You do not apply thru your employer (baring a few companies which opt to self administer- called a "voluntary plan").

Now, I'm not talking about your PRESENT employer- I'm talking about your previous employer (assuming you paid into the state disability system- you can check your previous paystubs- the deduction would be something along the lines of CASDI ).

Essenitally, go, pick up an application (or you can download one or have them mail you one from EDD)- if you Dr has you written off work on disability- (s)he completes the form. You send it to EDD. You may lose your job- this doesn't provide job protection (legally, though not sure this applies since you are "self employed"). It does provide you the income regardless whether you lose your job or not.

Here is some more basic info.

The phone for EDD is 1-800-480-3287
The website is http://www.edd.ca.gov/fleclaimdi.htm

From the website about being eligible:

SDI coverage "travels" with the worker. Coverage is not dependent on staying with a specific employer.

I quit my job (or was laid-off) and now I'm disabled. Am I eligible for SDI?

It depends on your situation. To qualify for SDI benefits, you must be actively connected to the labor market, either working or looking for work at the time your disability begins. We encourage you to file a claim for benefits, even if you're unsure of your labor market status.

I work two jobs. Will my SDI benefits reflect both salaries?

Yes, if both employers deducted the SDI contribution from your paycheck. To ensure that we have correct information regarding both jobs, you need to tell us about them on your application form. You do this by listing the name, address, telephone number, and last day you worked for each employer.

Do I have to be working for a certain number of days/months/years to be eligible for SDI?

Eligibility for SDI is based on the earnings shown in your base period. The wages you earn approximately six to 18 months before the disability claim begins are included in the base period (they must have been subject to the SDI tax/contribution). Your base period does not include wages paid at the time your disability begins.

I own my own business. Are self-employed individuals eligible for SDI?

Self-employed individuals or employers may be eligible for SDI under a program called Disability Insurance Elective Coverage.

How many days must you be off work to receive SDI benefits?

Since every claim for SDI has a seven-day, non-payable waiting period, you must be disabled at least eight calendar days to collect benefits.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby aaronsmommy » Oct 31, 2006 9:59 am

It won't hurt to file a claim, but I don't think you will qualify.

Yes, you can be unemployed and get disability in CA, but that means you must be actively looking for work (they ask for job contacts and interview dates, etc, before they will say you qualify). If you were recently looking, you might be able to give them that info and qualify that way.

The other way would be to look in to the self-employed state disability program, and work a little, pay in to it for a bit (not sure how long you would have to), then qualify. Usually you qualify based on your income 3 months prior, so you shouldn't have to do much work now to get a decent payment, but the self employed program may work differently (I don't know, I have tried to look in to it myself, left messages, gotten lost in phone trees, and never managed to get any information at all).

My first pg, I didn't qualify, because I had just started a new job, and my previous one was at the county which had it's own disability program, so it didn't tranfer over. It sucked.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby stamyjane » Dec 27, 2006 11:51 pm

It won't hurt to file a claim, but I don't think you will qualify.

Yes, you can be unemployed and get disability in CA, but that means you must be actively looking for work (they ask for job contacts and interview dates, etc, before they will say you qualify). If you were recently looking, you might be able to give them that info and qualify that way.

If you are on disability and unemployed you are just on disability. You are taken of unemployment and put on disability. While on disability you dont have to look for a job.

I tried disability but my doctor wouldnt sign the paper work. She said i wasn't sick enough. :x
stamyjane

Postby aaronsmommy » Dec 28, 2006 12:07 am

Yes, you no longer have to be looking for work once you are put on disability, but you need to be either employed and contribuution to the program, or unemployed and looking for work before the disability begins in order to qualify.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby stamyjane » Dec 29, 2006 9:52 pm

Well my whole problem with disability is that my doctor wouldnt sign the papers because I wasnt sick enough. I realize this time around I need to get a doctor that will get behind me.

Did anyone here have a problem with there doctors? Did you talk with your doctor or a doctor about this subject before becoming pregnant? Do you have any tips on what to ask or tell your doctor?
stamyjane

Postby Proudmama » Dec 30, 2006 3:14 am

DH and I interviewed my new Doctor before I got pregnant with DD. Although I did not apply for disability, I am sure he would have supported that option for me. I was blessed enough to have a job that allowed plenty of sick leave (around 2 to 3 months during my pregnancy).

Make sure you interview Doctors regarding HG. Find out if they have experience with it. Ask their treatment plans and if they are open to signing disability papers if it comes to that.

My new Doctor even wrote me a script for Zofran prior to pregnancy.
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby teddi » Dec 30, 2006 10:37 pm

I honestly never had a problem with the Drs (here in CA) being willing to sign me off of work- in fact- the first time I went out a Dr offered and I said no trying to tough it out (for fear I'd lose my job) and then again at the end of the pregnancy I finally went off completely (had been on half time) because my Dr was again worried and pressed me to do it.

It's a fair thing to talk about ahead of time with a Dr. I'd suggest making a very proactive & aggressive protocol- and research really well what laws apply to your job (FMLA, CFRA, Pregnancy Disability Leave) if you are in CA, union contracts- your companies HR policies, etc, look at those PTO/leave/vacation time balances).

The goal of course is to try and NOT be that ill- but if it comes down to it and you are off work for 8 days or more (you have a 1 week unpaid "wait period") that you cannot make it to work (counting weekends or days of as days if they are consecutive) then and you have a Dx of HG- then I would hope your Dr would be behind you.

It's ok to let your Dr know the details of the situation- the financial hardship caused by you missing so much time (unpaid) OR the potential for you getting in trouble with your job.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment