Any advice re. working?

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Any advice re. working?

Postby mel_11 » Nov 21, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi

I live in Australia and I run a family day care business from home. I was making great money until I reached about week 8 of my pg (1st one) when I found out I am a HG sufferer. For the next few weeeks I was too sick to look after the kids properly and had to have too many days off. Many of the parents took their kids elsewhere. When I started taking Zofran I could cope with a couple of kids at a time, but only just. I have gradually improved over the weeks and went off Zofran a couple of weeks ago, but still couldn't handle more kids.
Then, a couple of weeks ago, I started having contractions (at 22 weeks) and had to have more time off again. Nobody has been able to give me an explanation for the contractions, except for 'irritable uterus'. They don't know if I will continue to have more contractions, if I will go into labour prematurely, etc. Plus, I have had 2 migraines over the last couple of weeks, which have also meant more time off. Plus, we are probably experiencing the hottest and most humid weather
I feel so much like giving up work, but I don't think we could afford to live on 1 income for so long. I feel like I'm not being fair to the parents who have stayed with me and I know I push myself to work somedays when I don't really feel like it at all, just so I don't put them out.
I think I may feel guilty leaving it up to hubby to bring in enough money to pay for everything for so long. But, I sooooo want to stop working. I've even considered selling our house, going back to renting, and living off the profits for a while - but, hubby won't go for it.

Am I just being weak? How long did you work for during your pg? Did you find some other work that you could do while you were sick?
mel_11
Welcomed Friend

Postby teddi » Nov 21, 2006 8:38 pm

Please don't be harsh on yourself. I was off on disability with my twins for 9 months. No, there was no other work I could do, other than counts spots on the wall from boredom, or fill puke buckets. One quote from a Dr that I really love- HE told me that MY work was to grow my babies. Smartest thing any Dr I ever saw ever told me :)

I understand how much a financial strain hg can be. I can't give you the right answer but I can tell that your health IS your babies health too. And that does have to COME first. When you come to a break point, just try to recognize it. Health must come first.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby mel_11 » Nov 21, 2006 9:20 pm

Thanks, teddi, for the reassurance. Although I know I didn't ask to be this sick during pg, I still feel guilty at the thought of leaving hubby to bring all of the bacon.
But, you're right, I've got to put our baby's health first. I think the contractions and migraines may be my body's way of telling me to chill out, relax and just concentrate on keeping our baby healthy (and actually inside me!) for another few months.
Rhiannon born 09.03.07
Isobel born 01.01.09
HG pg#1 Week 7 to birth
HG pg#2 Week 7 to birth
mel_11
Welcomed Friend

Postby Atsie » Nov 21, 2006 11:36 pm

I agree with Teddi, you and the baby come first. It is wonderful that those parents stuck by you but as a parent they have to understand that the health of you are baby is your priority.

I have managed to work up until now BUT in my first tri I had planned on going off work as soon as possible. In Canada we get 52 weeks mat leave and can take an additional 8 weeks of sick leave (paid for by governement) before mat leave starts. I had planned on going off at 23 weeks. But things changed, meds and treatment started working and I kept working. BUT I changed jobs in September and my new job is very easy. I assist a student with disabilities but she is very independent so I sit there for most of the day like a trained monkey. If I was still in the same job as last year or your job, I would be off by now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment