I got fired....

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

I got fired....

Postby ktlynn_74 » Dec 30, 2006 11:12 pm

So I have had to be off of work until 11/14 because I've been dealing with hyperemesis. Well don't qualify for FLMA leave (havn't been there for a year) but was told that I could ask to get non FLMA leave for up to 6 months and that all I needed to do was get my doctors note and fill out the paperwork. Well yesterday they called me and said that they will not approve it so I'm just fired. Funny thing is last year at the same time they let one of my coworkers leave for a second semester to go study in France and they held her spot. Now they won't do the same thing for the sick pregnant girl........happy new year to me. And they fired me before my long term disability started so now I won't get that either and I'm not married and live by myself so I don't know how I'm going to pay rent. I'm probably going to be homeless in a couple of months:( I just don't know what to do anymore! Sorry I'm such a downer!

Katie
ktlynn_74
Opinionated HGer

Postby mrsbigdog » Dec 31, 2006 12:04 am

Katie,

:hugs: , I'm sorry I don't have any advice or answers for you. I lost my job last year thanks to a combo of HG and a sales force reduction. I couldn't prove it was because of the HG time I was missing since they cut 2/3 of us and I didn't have seniority. It ruined our finances.

You're in a really tough spot being on your own. I was single when I had my first daughter but was fortunate enough to be still living at home and my parents helped me out.

Do you have any family or friends that you could either live with or who can help you out? Locally we have a great social service organization that is helps people out with bills, rent, etc as an effort to help prevent homelessness. Also, we have pregnancy resource offices that are run by several pro-life groups. They offer help and referrals to pregnant women who need assistance. Finally, are you able to apply for any federal/state welfare type assistance. We had to get food stamps, wic, state medical insurance and other help because of my job loss and my husband's lost wages while caring for me. Making those calls and signing up for the help was very hard. Here I was a middle aged, married, college graduate and we couldn't support ourselves.

We are still struggling but it is slowing getting better.

It is terrible that we have to deal with all of the crap in addition to being as sick as we are.

If you need to chat please feel free to pm me anytime.

Donna
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby Proudmama » Dec 31, 2006 2:15 am

I am so sorry about all of this. I cannot believe that you would get fired for being sick. That is unacceptable. Hopefully one of the other ladies on here will have some useful information for you. If you have family nearby that could help, please let them. Any stress will only worsen your HG. If you need to talk, please know that I am here.

:hugs:
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby teddi » Dec 31, 2006 8:29 pm

The only recourse you may for sure would be to contact a lawyer- if your Doctor has done the paperwork and certified you have a disability- they may be held to certain laws regarding terminating folks who have disabilities.

I am not really familiar w/state law in Wisconsin but it might be helpful to look in your local yellow pages (or online) and looks for a lawyer who specializes in that type of litigation (wrong termination/employment issues). In CA having done that would have illegal- but we have a specific pregnancy disability law.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment