working with insurance company

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

working with insurance company

Postby megs4413 » Jan 04, 2007 2:38 pm

has anyone had luck workign with their insurance co? i am wanting to get with them about approving a hospital breast pump rental because DS won't be able to nurse due to his cleft. i want to try and work it out BEFORE he's born if I can...does anyone know who i contact about this? i'm sure they've dealt with cleft babies before, so there shoudl be someone i can talk to there! i don't want to just call the generic customer service line since they really won't necessarily be able to do anything for me. any advice on dealing with the insurance co. is appreciated!
Megs
DD 2005 severe HG
DS 2007 moderate HG
megs4413
HG Diva

Postby JennyK » Jan 04, 2007 4:03 pm

For both my pregnancies my insurance company assigned me a case manager. I didn't have to initiate it. Both times my case manager was a huge help in getting the things I needed approved. I wonder if you can request one since your baby will have ongoing medical issues?

I hope they cover the pump for you. Is there anything available to help you pay for the expensive bottles? Those are obviously a medical necessity too.

For what it's worth, I've read that a hosptial grade pump doesn't really work any better than a Medela PIS. I have no first-hand experience with a hospital grade pump.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby mrsbigdog » Jan 04, 2007 9:50 pm

I had a case manager too. Both Blue Choice/Blue Shield and Aetna assigned them to me early on but they both closed my case when my PICC was removed.

I would try calling the insurance and asking about a case manager - since you are somewhat high risk and the baby will have some difficulties they should be willing to work with you.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

Donna
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby caleighbelle47 » Jan 24, 2007 11:56 pm

I felt that my Medela PIS worked as well as the hospital pump I used at the hospital. John was in the NICU and never learned to breastfeed so I pumped full time. A lot of insurance companies will cover the price of buying a pump under durable medical equipment. I know a lot of woman who had their insurance companies pay 80% or more of it. Might be worth looking into.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment