my insurance has a new code

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

my insurance has a new code

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 22, 2007 10:55 pm

And it means "we won't pay what this physician charges." Yup, quite literally, "this expense is outside the norm for this procedure." :evil:
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Proudmama » Jan 22, 2007 11:14 pm

:shock: :o

Don't you think they should state what is "out of the norm" before they just decide to code that one up on the bill :roll: :x .

Insurance can be so annoying somethings. They can get away with charging so much and never pay out anything.
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby minnesotamama » Jan 23, 2007 12:43 am

Is that legal??

I know with my insurance they have "deals" with all sorts of doctors, so the doctors bill for 100, but insurance says nope, we only pay 80. I don't get charged the difference either. Of course this means they want me to use doctors that they get the best deals with!

Do they at least tell you in advance that you might have to pay more??
Brenda
minnesotamama
Master of HG

Postby nomore » Jan 23, 2007 12:46 am

This isnt new for us. They ownly pay reasonable and customary charges. Basically no more than a certain amount for something. Although, most insurances have negioated rates with DRs and hospitals anyways. So, it really hasnt been too much of an issue.
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby krdoty » Jan 23, 2007 10:44 am

Reason & Customary is actually quite common in the insurance industry. Most of the time if a doctor is contracted to accept your insurance plan then they are contracted to accept whatever the insurance company deems to be R&C, regardless of how much they charge. The doctor is not allowed to charge patients the difference.

R&C is typically only a problem for patients if the doctor in question is an Out-of-Network provider. That's because the those docs are not under contract so there is no way that the insurance company can require them to adhere to standard pricing.

Have you checked with your insurance company to see whether their contract allows docs to charge the extra to you?
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 23, 2007 11:14 am

Yup, out of network anesthesiologist for the TL. UGH. I asked and asked and planned and called everyone BEFORE. So bent.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby nomore » Jan 23, 2007 11:17 am

oh... that does suck :cry: Im sorry.
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby krdoty » Jan 23, 2007 12:46 pm

That really sucks. I wonder... Were there other anesthesiologists available at the time of your tubal that were in-network? If so, maybe you can persuade them to lower the bill to meet R&C. You might get some help arguing your case if you contact a patient liaison at the hospital where the surgery was performed.
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment