Need to find doc in SLC, UT!

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Need to find doc in SLC, UT!

Postby Cindygirl » Jan 23, 2007 12:13 pm

Right now I'm with an OB who has given me home health and many meds to work with, but about a week and a half ago I was in and out of the emergency room 3 times in a matter of a day and a half, the last time they admitted me for 24 hours. When my doctor came in to see me in the hospital he flat out told me he didn't have time for me. He thinks since Zofran doesn't work for me all the time that I must be some kind of freak that is trying to get attention. He told me to see a psychiatrist.

ANYWAY, I've delt with this kind of ignorance before in my first pregnancy with hyperemesis. I'm only in Utah until I can feel better, I live in Colorado Springs. My mom and sister are here in Utah, they are helping to take care of my kids until I can feel better. So as soon as I can get over this, I want to go back to my husband and home in Colorado Springs. It's hard to find a doctor who wants to take you for only possibly a month or two. I'm 14 weeks along now and I'm starting to feel a little better, but I might relapse...I just don't know. I tried to get into the maternal and fetal medicine doctor that is recommended on this sight...Dr. Porter. When I found out my insurance covered him I was so happy!! But when I talked to his nurse, she basically said that since I wasn't going to be here for long and I was starting to feel better, I wasn't bad enought to be able to have Dr. Porter. Boy do I wish I could have started out with him in my first trimester when I was more sick...

Now either I have to deal with a doctor that doesn't respect me, I am having a hard time respecting him too!! Or try to find someone who will take me, I don't know if a maternal and fetal medicine doctor will take me now...
HELP
Cindygirl
Opinionated HGer

Postby Atsie » Jan 23, 2007 12:18 pm

Hello,
On our refferal network, under For Mothers, this Dr was listed in Salt Lake City

Dr. T. Flint Porter
50 N Medical Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah 84132
USA
801-581-7746

There are also Dr's in Layton and Ogden listed.

Good Luck.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Cindygirl » Jan 23, 2007 1:26 pm

I already tried to go to him. If you read my post you'll see that when I called him his nurse said that because I was feeling a little better right now and because in a few months I'll be going back to Colorado Springs, that I wasn't bad enough to be seen by him. I don't know what else to do!!!
Cindygirl
Opinionated HGer

Postby simplekelly » Jan 23, 2007 2:00 pm

What an ass. I live in Davis County but there are some SLC area girls. maybe you could PM them to get their attention. One is RebeccaM and the other is tatteredtoo. I think there are others but these 2 come to mind. they are both AWESOME! :hugs: :hugs:
Kelly
mama to
Jake (1-9-02) MS to wk 13
Justin (6/13/03) NO MS!
Addison (2/16/07) HG wk 8-birth
simplekelly
Devoted to You

Postby tatteredtoo » Jan 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Cindy, I'm in Taylorsville. Feel free to pm me or send me an email and I'll do what I can to help you find the best care possible. I had seen a midwife in Salt Lake that was wonderful for me, but I don't know how severe your HG is or if you would need more treatment than she could offer. Anyway, feel free to send me a pm and I'll see what I can do to help you out. Also, if you could let me know what area you're in... actual Salt Lake City, or a surrounding City in the SL Valley?
:hugs:
tatteredtoo
HG Expert

Postby Atsie » Jan 23, 2007 2:31 pm

Sorry about that! I was trying to bf and read your post. Turns out I missed the most important part. I apologize. I do read the posts, just learning to BF while doing it.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Cindygirl » Jan 25, 2007 5:47 pm

Sorry I haven't checked this the last couple of days...This sound stupid, but I really don't know how to pm someone. I've received a few pms now and I've replied to them, but I'm not sure how to find someone else's pm. Anyway, I'm in Murray, UT and I'm still looking to find a dr that will listen. I've thought about a midwife, can they prescribe meds? I have a PICC line in and I'm on IV meds, which seems to help most of the time. But sometimes if I throw up once, I can't seem to stop dispite the IVs and meds. I've been okay the last couple of weeks, I usually get nauseated in the evening and take Zofran and Unisom, seems to be working. But I'm afraid I'll have another time where they won't work and I'll end up in the emergency room again with my Dr telling me I'm mental...I just don't feel like I can trust him anymore.
Cindygirl
Opinionated HGer

Postby Cindygirl » Jan 25, 2007 6:11 pm

OKAY....I just learned how to pm :? Just takes me a little while to catch on... :roll:
Cindygirl
Opinionated HGer

Postby Proudmama » Jan 26, 2007 11:42 pm

Did you find a Doctor that will take you yet? I hope that you are finding the support you need out there. I get so upset and the "its all in your head" or "its a mental thing" line from a so called "Doctor". Anyway, I hope that you have found a real Doctor that understands and gives you and your baby the best care available.

:hugs:
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby carybear » Feb 15, 2007 11:10 pm

I swear I replied to this but didn't see it on here. So sorry about that.
I have had to see two different doctors during my last pregnancy and both were great! So I'd suggest Dr. Jon Nichols at South Valley Women's center or Dr. Lucinda Robinson at Avenues Womens clinic. Dr Nichols is thw one I was seeing when HG was at it's worst and both he and his nurse were really understanding and helped me out as well as they could. I got with Dr Robinson as HG was letting up but she too was great about it! So I'd suggest either of them.
Good luck, if you need or want phone numbers pm me and I'll get them for you. But seriously loose the dr that doesn't listen!
Luvs to all,
CaryAnn
carybear
Opinionated HGer

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment