Anyone work for themselves?

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Anyone work for themselves?

Postby skamomma » Feb 20, 2007 1:40 pm

I have my own business, so no disability insurance. Unfortunately, hubby got laid off right before we found out we were pregnant. I have been unable to work. We have a little bit of savings that wew are getting by on for now, and there's always family, but I can't believe it has really come to this. We've always been ok money wise. Is there any government help if things get any worse down the road? I still beleiive that we'll be fine and hubby will get a job and hopefully my clients will take me back as soon as I can work again. but what if that doesn't happen? You can't get federal disability due to HG, right?
skamomma

Postby krdoty » Feb 20, 2007 5:56 pm

You are not eligible for disability through the federal government unless you are/will be disabled for at least one continuous year. How long ago was your husband laid off? I would suggest signing up for COBRA regardless of the cost if there is ANY way you can swing the premium, even if you can only afford it for a month or two. I'll let someone else answer the rest of your questions since I can only speculate.
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby skamomma » Feb 20, 2007 6:22 pm

Yeah we did sign up for cobra at least. Like I said it's not dire...yet. He got laid off in early Jan. and we do have a few months worth of savings. He's been job hunting, and he's working on getting this certification that will help. And if something FT doesn't come up he will go get some temp work for a while, so I expect that one way or another we will end up being ok. There's just a few things that need to go our way and I worry about our luck lately! And it just seems weird that all of a sudden I can't work at the same time he lost his job... it's just not how this was supposed to go. I'm sure I'm not the first woman on these boards that has said that though!
skamomma

Postby Carrie » Feb 20, 2007 7:12 pm

I'm in Wisconsin, and was fired due to my FMLA running out -- I was the insurance carrier for us. Here in Wisconsin, there is a government program called BadgerCare that is FREE Health Insurance especially for pregnant moms/moms with small kids. Possibly if you contact your county office and ask for human services - there might be help for you in TX? Then you wouldn't have to come up with the COBRA premium... it was a big relief for me/us.

Carrie
God Grant Me Serenity
Carrie

Postby skamomma » Feb 20, 2007 8:13 pm

ooh, that sounded so good! So I asked my dh about it, and apparently since we are now signed up for Cobra you can't make any changes to it, like taking me off to go on govt. insurance. If we did then he would lose coverage, and while he is relatively healthy we so cannot take that risk. He does have a few issues like high BP, so if we lost Cobra it could make it hard for him to get coverage for "pre-existing conditions" even when he gets a new job and new coverage. Damn. It sounded good though!!!
skamomma

Postby Carrie » Feb 20, 2007 9:55 pm

Shoot. Do you think your county has a website - ? Might find some other possible benefit out there. I was surprised when I applied they inundated me with information for other programs I would likely qualify for. We only needed/were worried about insurance, but they sent info for WIC and FOOD SHARE and Child care services that were free, and, well, tonnage.

I remember the woman at human services did advise not to start cobra as that complicated things... but I was prepared to cobra if the BadgerCare fell through, it was all lucky timing.

One more idea - where your hubby works, maybe they cover you with a disability policy? Could check his employee handbook for that. I asked and found out I qualified for a Long Term Disability plan the bank carried. Of course, they'd never bring it up to ME, heaven forbid. Had to wait 3 months for it to kick in, but it's something. At my mom's work, they have certain benefits set up even for spouses.

It totally stinks to feel helpless and unable to work, I know. I hope whatever path you try, something lightens up for you! I definitely feel your pain as I am a big worry-wart about the finances. Possibly a by-product of being in banking, I suppose.... lol

Best of Luck!

Carrie

PS a thought just occured to me that pre-existing conditions may not be a factor with state-aided insurance. I wish I knew everything about it, but depending on your situation with him laid off.... he may be just as elligible as you.
God Grant Me Serenity
Carrie

Postby skamomma » Feb 21, 2007 12:53 am

Carrie, thank you so much! I really never even considered these programs before. He's getting the max for unemployment (still not enough to live on obviously) and we do have some savings so I don't know if they'd make us run through that first? But either way it's worth looking into. Any help we need would be temporary, and shoot we've paid enough taxes right? I'll give HHS a calland see where they direct me. That's actually the department where hubby is applying for his dream job and we're just waiting on them to close the position. (Obviously not ALL he is doing, but all he can do for that job anyway.) I think I worry so much just because I've worked with a lot of disadvantaged youth and families and I know that sometimes even the hardest workers and seemingly stable folks can get into trouble very quickly. He will get something but with my medical bills and the massive student debt especially that we carry (and yes we've gotten what deferrments we can) it's hard to tell how long the money will last. Thank you so much for your kind words, and any other ideas you have please keep 'em coming.
skamomma

Postby mrsbigdog » Feb 21, 2007 7:42 am

Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and you're not alone. Our situation was so similar to yours. We've survived but our finances are shot. Keep us updated and feel free to pm me if you'd like to chat.

Donna
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby Carrie » Feb 21, 2007 12:10 pm

Oh, good, I'm happy to type if something might help. Believe me, I was shocked at our situation and we are similar to you - my husband is self-employed, I work in banking so we've always taken care of ourselves. I couldn't see asking family for money when we've never gotten to that point... pride issue, maybe. A friend suggested the BadgerCare, and I thought for sure it wasn't meant for us -- I thought I'd have to be completely disabled or something. But I was really surprised at the variety of programs they have in place and the helpful lady at human services - she said exactly what you said. "You've paid in taxes all these years, this is what we are here for, the emergency". I felt so much better! It has definitely put us in better shape than I anticipated.

It's quite a bit of paperwork, though, I'll warn you. If you want to chat more details, I'm happy to PM with you anytime! I sure hope something works out in your favor because you don't need the added stress!

Carrie
God Grant Me Serenity
Carrie

Postby skamomma » Feb 22, 2007 12:57 am

Thank you Carrie, Kendra, and Donna. Sorry I haven't checked back much... I've been out cold most of the day since OB added reglan to the regimen! But I'm hoping to get on researching this by end of week/early next week. Thank you so much for your kind wors though guys. It really means a lot to know that we are NOT the only ones in such a spot.
skamomma

Postby JennyK » Feb 22, 2007 2:05 pm

How about an energy assistance program? I'd take whatever help you can get since you don't know how long you and your husband will be out of work. You may qualify for LIEAP. Here we have a non-profit organization called Energy Share that makes one-time payments for power bills for people in need to get them through unexpected rough times like you are enduring now.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby ktlynn_74 » Feb 23, 2007 12:31 pm

I'm in WI and we have the same thing. We ended up getting about 3 months worth of heating and 2 months worth of energy costs. Its just a one time payment to those accounts but it was enough that it has been able to carry over each month. I can't tell you how much of a help it is just not to have a utility bill the last couple of months. Like she said its a one time payment they make that you have to reapply for each year you want it and the amount of help is based off of how much you make and how much your utility bills are. Its definitly worth looking into. I was in the same boat and had no money coming in it helped me stretch my savings a little further!

Katie
ktlynn_74
Opinionated HGer

Postby skamomma » Feb 23, 2007 11:33 pm

Hmmm... I'll look into that. is it usually a non-profit associated with the utility company?
skamomma

Postby mrsbigdog » Feb 24, 2007 9:55 am

Not totally sure, but I believe that here in Missouri the funds are collected by the utility companies but then different designated non-profits determine eligibility and request the funds. I'll bet if you call the utility they can refer you to how it is handled in your state. Good luck.

Donna
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby ktlynn_74 » Feb 25, 2007 1:52 pm

I found out about the program through my utility companies web site. I'm sure you could call them and ask about any programs that may be avaliable and they would be able to direct you!

Katie
ktlynn_74
Opinionated HGer

Postby JennyK » Feb 26, 2007 10:52 am

You might also try calling the Texas Public Utility Commission. I'm not sure, but there may be less help available in Texas than in colder states since LIEAP and Energy Share programs are intended to help people keep the heat on during the winter.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby skamomma » Feb 26, 2007 5:56 pm

Yeah, I wasn't having any luck finding any of the programs you all mentioned in TX. The Public Utilities Commission does provide assistance, but it looks like no temporary help programs, like you have to be able to show a low annual income not a short term crisis. Oh well... DH will get certified next Sat. in his field and hopefully the offers will come flying in after that.
skamomma

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment