Info for HER site?

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Info for HER site?

Postby Kimber » Feb 25, 2007 3:54 am

Hi. I would like to add a page on info for employers and would like input from those with experience or expertise on the subject. Feel free to offer your thoughts on what they need to know.

Thanks!
Kimber
Kimber
kimber@HelpHER.org
kimber@hyperemesis.org
HER Foundation Co-Founder
Director of Ed & Research
2 pg w/nine-months of HG
Mom of two - 1999, 2003
Kimber
Forums Administrator

Postby skamomma » Feb 25, 2007 12:13 pm

Laibility, liability, liability. In other words, if they do not grant sufficient time off, this will cause unreasonable stress to the mother. What are the effects of this? Why is it not only impossible to us to be any kind of productive, but why could forcing women with HG to be at work possibly dangerous to her and her unborn child? What federal/state guidelines are they required to meet? And if they care about their employees and choose not to be jerks, what can they do to go above and beyone the law in order to be compassionate employers without costing them a fortune? What about suggesting alternative working arrangements and telecommuting? Also, explain that while it's terrrible all day the mornings tend to be worse for most. Don't schedule meetings in the morning (or whatever time of day is worst for your employee.) Tips for explaining the situation to clients and other employees in a way that will not inspire gossip about how she can't really be that sick.
skamomma

Postby JennyK » Feb 26, 2007 6:08 pm

I can't think of much that I'd want my employer to know that's not already on the HER site. Here are a few ideas:

--the motion of the computer screen is a trigger for many people, which can make work impossible for some

--some people have spells of improvement, relapse, improvement, etc., which can make attendance at work spotty

--if you have a PICC line you should not be at work, in my opinion (I wish I would have heeded that advice when I was pregnant or that my employer would have looked at my arm and sent me home)

--it will probably take the mother more than 6 weeks to recover post partum if her case was severe
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby natacha » Jun 22, 2007 12:36 pm

"it will probably take the mother more than 6 weeks to recover post partum if her case was severe"

I can't agree more with this last statement. With my first PG I had severe HG and had a C section to boot. It definitely took longer than 6 weeks to recover!
Mommy to Kehl b 4/13/01, Katie b 1/06/04 and Ian b 4/17/06
natacha
Welcomed Friend

Postby jmwmommysings3 » Jun 22, 2007 3:35 pm

Flex time/working from home options. This saved my life and my medical coverage with my last pregnancy.

Point out how if they treat her well through this they will have a more loyal employee returning when she is well.

Clear legal description of various laws and links for more info. by state.

Clear description of symptoms, possible treatments, possible triggers, etc. and how that may impact her work.

There's already so much here but I love the idea of having it all in one spot for employers since they won't have a lot of time to browse through the site. Great idea!

Jessica
Down to earth breastfeeding support "pub" at The Leaky B@@b http://leakyboob.blogspot.com/
Blogging our adventures here: http://everydayrebel.blogspot.com/
Ophelia- severe, undiagnosed HG, 11.20.98
Lavinia- moderate HG, 03.25.01
Helena- very severe HG, 03.03.03
Evangeline- severe-moderate HG 01.10.08
jmwmommysings3
Master of HG

Postby Proudmama » Jun 24, 2007 4:54 am

I am not sure what to add but I will say that my employer did not/does not consider HG a pregnancy related illness that allow one to enter the Leave Donor Program. It would be nice to have had a way to dispute that one.
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment