breadwinner and hg

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Postby otiam » Jul 15, 2004 2:57 pm

Kim,

Oh my gosh....I cannot believe your disability insurance would say that HG only occurs in the first trimester and stopped paying. That is absolutely ridiculous. I would almost be inclined to say you should look into taking action against that company. Your doctor felt you should not work, we all know you could not work...how could they make that decision like that and not really research and see that most HG sufforers do not work because they are to sick. I can also relate to the preeclamsia issue. I also had severe preeclamsia and actually they were going to induce me at 37 wks and I ended up going into labor at 36 wks myself. Good thing because I was not doing very well.

I don't know if there is anything that could be done regarding them stopping your disability payments...I just am outraged by that!!! I'm so sorry you had to sell your home and be in such a mess like this....it is just not fair!!!!

Amber
1 time HG survivor
Hannah 6/17/02
otiam

Postby Kschwintz » Jul 15, 2004 3:38 pm

Amber,

Yes, I was angry for a long time. I did consult lawyers, etc... but since the disability insurance was through my employer and I went through all of their appeal processes, etc.., there was nothing left for me to do. Ultimately, I had to resign because I could not go back to work..

I am sure Aimee can remember how mad I was at the insurance company. It is probably what set my high blood pressure in motion :twisted: ...

Anyway... I will never have disability through an employer again... I will only go and find my own policy from now on...
Kim
*Ainsley (11-26-02) born at 36 weeks Severe HG, Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome
Kschwintz
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Jul 15, 2004 9:59 pm

I meant to bring that point up in this discussion, but kind of forgot.

Just because the laws are there, doesn't mean people will follow them and that brings up a whole bunch of other issues. Do you try to make them keep you even though you know they want to fire you and will resent you for standing up for your rights? Do you try to get a settlement and at least not lose too much financially, or do you go for a lawsuit? Meanwhile you are looking for another job, not earning money and have to deal with the conflict and stress of the process. Not fun, even if the law is on your side.

I lucked out because my employer knew that firing me was illegal, so they tried to cover it by "not renewing my contract" so as I negotiated a settlement I was still getting paid. The stress was still overwhelming, it was a huge blow to my self esteem and I'm still trying to get my carreer back on track (and I was only 1 year in to it and it has been 1 1/2 years since I lost my job)

Kim - Oh yeah, I remember! I was pretty mad too. Weren't you doing some kind of investigation through the state, how did that turn out?
I just found out that my old boss of "I wish I had hg so I could lie in bed all day" fame just got pushed out as medical director of the group. Sweet!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Loss of Job due to HG

Postby TErickson » Oct 27, 2004 8:15 am

I totally feel for all those here who have had to deal with this horrible side effect of pregnancy. My husband and I had been married 6 years and were not planning a pg, but it happened and we couldn't have been more thrilled. I was finally working at a job I loved for a very small company and my husband worked full time while also trying to start his own business.

For the first few weeks I was pg, there were absolutely no symptoms, and then about week 8 the morning sickness hit. I thought it would be something I could manage and continue working and just get through. However after about 2 days of continuously vomiting and not any food/ cracker or other idea was helping I was miserable. Within one week I spent 1/2 a day in the hospital getting IV fluids and anti-nausea medication.

Over the next 10 weeks... I would continue with this routine of being extremely sick, in the hospital weekly for IV fluids and trying numerous anti-nausea drugs and nothing seemed to work.

This entire time I was trying to work what I could.. but only averaging 10-15 hrs a week of my 40+ hr a week job. I would be sick at work and just try to get as much done as possible, but the rest of the time moving off the couch was a challenge. After about 6 weeks of this my employer kept requesting I put in more hours, and I tried, but kept explaining that I was just extremely weak and couldn't do much more. My doctor wrote numerous notes advising that I not work but they began to get quite an attitude about the whole thing.

It was very stressful on myself and my husband, though he was a trooper and tried everything he could to help, but there was not much he could do.

In the end, I lost 25 lbs and only one medication seemed to help, but I hadn't started it until week 17 so not sure if it was the medication or just finally the end... Zofran did not work for me, I ended up getting relief with Methylprednisolone. It was a last resort option. After being on it for 2 weeks, I was feeling much better, eating and beginning to get my energy back. I really scared my family because I looked anorexic by the end.

Along with dealing with all this... I ended up going into work one day to find all my belongings packed up and being "laid" off because they couldn't deal with me being unable to work full time. I was extremely upset when they also informed me there would not be a job for me after the baby came. I couldn't believe that I was already hurting financially from not working my full time hours.. but now losing a job, while getting ready to bring a new life into this world. I never thought I would be at this point when we started a family. I always thought we would have plenty saved and be able to live comfortably when the day came. But our savings was depleted from being sick for 10 weeks and unemployment would not compare to my current salary.

Thankfully I am doing much better now at 29 weeks and baby seems to be doing just fine. I still way less than I did before getting pregnant, but have gained back about 18 lbs. I have such mixed feelings now... scared, excited, apprehensive. My unemployment will run out about when the baby comes, which normally the plan would have been to have savings ready for 6 weeks of no pay, but now no savings will be available and I am not sure how we will make if financially. Also in trying to find a new job, I haven't had any luck... not many companies want to hire someone who will need off in just a few months for maternity leave. So at this point I most likely won't get something until after the baby comes. But then I am not sure how we will manage with the cost of daycare.. so we are looking at all options.

We fortunately have great insurance which covered all of my hospital visits.... I am just paying more for it because it was through my employer and I am on COBRA. This is expensive, but compared to the hospital bills it is well worth scraping each month to pay for it.

I checked with some lawyers after the whole ordeal with my employer and found in the state of MN where I was working, there was not much they could do. Since it was a small company I was not protected even by FMLA.

I have no idea how the outcome of this will be, but I do not wish HG on anyone and hope that someday they find ways to help deal with this. The stress of your health and job security is definitely not healthy and I just hope that we manage to get through this with a healthy baby and not be financially ruined.

I just wish I had found this site earlier for support.

Good luck to all!
TErickson

Postby otiam » Oct 27, 2004 3:13 pm

I am so sorry to hear your story!!! It is not fair that you should have to go through all of this. It is a shame that because you worked for a smaller employer FMLA could not protect you!!! I wish you all the luck in the world. Just cherish every moment of that little baby when he/she comes....that is what I did. I ended up quiting my job due to them not letting me go part time because I was out so long with being sick. I have taken every moment with my daughter as a blessing. Somehow you will get through this...you will find a new job, or find a way to stay home. Don't worry about it now though. Just keep thinking I'll worry about that after the baby is here and you have your 6 weeks in...then you can try to figure out what to do or where to go from there. I see you are in Wisconsin...I'm in Waukesha(near Milwaukee)...if you ever need any help!!!

Again...I'm sorry this had to happen to you, but I know you will be ok!!!

Amber
1 time HG survivor
Hannah 6/17/02
otiam

Postby dwtegli » Oct 28, 2004 10:13 pm

TErickson,

I to faced your situation. I was fired when I was about 13 weeks pregnant because I was so sick. I stayed unemployed until today. I have been unemployed since April 14. We didn't have the luxury of unemployment since I was unable to look for a job while pregnant and that is required here in ND to receive unemployment. My son is now 5 weeks old and I just started a new job today. I think I will really enjoy this job. IT pays more than my last one, and there is alot less stress. We wound up making it through the pregnancy by borrowing money from my parents and my in-laws. We were lucky to have parents that were willing and able to help. NOt only with money, but also with taking care of our two daughters when I absolutely could not. I wish you the best. I know it doesn't seem like it, but it will get better. Even if you have towait until after you have that wonderful little angel.

Hugs,
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Previous

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment