Like I needed this to push me into a spiral! *UPDATE*

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Like I needed this to push me into a spiral! *UPDATE*

Postby 3sEnough » Apr 11, 2007 5:19 pm

***UPDATE***
Well, after DH came home he saw how depressed I was and said, "Honey, don't cry. We are doing just fine without the money. Besides, who in America has not experienced a set back financially?" He is right. This will be our first problem with finances in our 7 years together...found out that most experience it within the first two years. He told me not to bother with the appeal. I'm going to appeal just to see what happens, but their policy is pretty explicit on what they find as disabled. My employer also does not offer short term disability.

I was denied long term disability. I have not been able to function as a human being (let alone a normal one) since November 2006!

In their denial letter it states:

"Medical evidence does not support an illness or injury that would prevent you from performing the duties of your sedentary occudpation as an Assistant to the Controller beyond the 90-day Elimination period. Medical records indicate your illness stabilized after the January 15, 2007 office visit, with no evidence of complications noted beyond the January 15, 2007 office visit."

The only month I have not been hospitalized was March and I was reprimanded by my ob for that (I became too dehydrated)! Just last week I was put back in the hospital for passing out because of dehydration and the way the baby is laying on my nerves. So, I guess that means I'm supposed to drive 25 Miles one way to work, walk upstairs (there is no elevator) and have no problems or concerns. Besides the fact that I'm on Phenergan because it is the only med now that is even phasing me at this point and it is very well known in the medical industry that one should not drive under the influence of this med - creates extreme drowsiness. Plus I have to take Benadryl to keep my congestion under control or else the Phenergan doesn't work at all...it's a never ending battle.

I am so angry and my stomach is turning right now as I type... vomiting is about to begin! Thank you very much Jefferson Pilot Financial. Your company has provided more than enough proof that your staff is highly ignorant!

I'm already in serious debt for medical and the baby isn't here yet! I do have medical insurance (thank goodness) but it doesn't help that my husband's salary is what is providing our only way of existance. My medical issues is doing nothing to contribute for the better in our household.

I really do not know how much more I can take. Seriously, if I didn't have my kids to take care of...I would so be done with life right now. My husband could always find a better woman to be his wife.
Last edited by 3sEnough on Apr 12, 2007 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
3sEnough
Opinionated HGer

Postby krdoty » Apr 11, 2007 5:47 pm

appealAppealAPPEAL!
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby JennyK » Apr 11, 2007 5:47 pm

Awww, I'm sorry.

Most long term disability policies I've looked at don't kick in unless you are unable to perform several "activities of daily living." That's a high bar, because you can be clearly unable to work, but in a technical sense still able to get to the toilet and bring a fork full of food to your mouth. I don't know what the requirements for your policy are, though.

I hope you are able to work something out.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Jenny » Apr 11, 2007 6:34 pm

I have heard that almost everyone is denied the first time and they have to appeal. SO APPEAL FOR SURE!!

HUGS

Jen
Jenny Davidson
DH Charles Davidson
Married May 27, 2004

Jenny
HER Majesty

Postby teddi » Apr 11, 2007 6:43 pm

Yes, appeal.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby sarah23 » Apr 11, 2007 7:26 pm

:hugs: :hugs: Please appeal. You deserve better treatment.
Sarah
sarah23
Master of HG

Postby peanut » Apr 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Definately appeal. I have known several people who had to do this and they were denied the first time AND they had a social worker helping them who did it all the time. I was shocked when I got approved at the first shot (for a MH issue, though not pregnancy related). Also let your doctor know and have them get on the case as well.
Lora
Image Image

[/url]
peanut
Master of HG

Postby Susannah » Apr 12, 2007 12:26 am

I would see if you can get help with your appeal from a social worker at the hospital you have been going to.

I am so sorry you are having to fight this battle during HG :( :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby Proudmama » Apr 12, 2007 12:36 am

Appealing sounds like a good idea to me as well. Make sure your Doctor is on board and have him/her help. You do not need this extra stress right now.

:hugs:
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby mammaclare » Apr 12, 2007 12:36 am

A tip...many disability companies start the short term disability clock at the start of the leave...each leave. I know many have a 180 day time frame and then you have to either return to work or go to long term like you are attempting.

SO, if you can find out if this is the case w/ your disability ins. provider, you do have another option aside from appeal. If you were to suck it up and use every last piece of anything you have left and go to work every day for a week or two, then it may be possible that you can get approved again for short term disability and start the 180 day clock over again....which would take you all the way thorugh the rest of PG and to 6 weeks PP with your short term disability pay.

Do you even have short term disability? I guess I am assuming here that you were on it and are trying to make the switch to long term b/c the STD ran out...sorry if that isn't the case. If it isn't then I say go ahead w/ an appeal.

:hugs:
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment