I may lose my job; I can't believe this is happening

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

I may lose my job; I can't believe this is happening

Postby Tracy34 » Jun 19, 2007 2:59 pm

I'm so angry and upset right now that I don't know what to do. I'm an Exec. Asst. for a small engineering firm (20 employees) and my positioned is salaried. I have used all my vacation and sick time in order to try to get the hyperemesis under control and I'm now out of time. I told my boss the minute I found out I was pregnant and told him up front that it was going to be a struggle to which he has been telling me all along that they would work with me. I offered to provide supporting documentation from all my Dr's and he kept saying he didn't need it.

I was out of the office yesterday (in the hospital again for an ultrasound where they told me I have small subchrionic bleeding going on) and I dragged myself in today. He met with me this morning to tell me that because I am a "salaried" position, that I can't take time "unpaid" (which I offered to do) andthis leaves them in a pickle. He kept saying how he needs someone full time and dependable for this position (before I got pregnant and sick, this was not an issue). He asked me if I would be willing to do something part-time (which would take away all of my benefits, including medical). I told him I didn't know and asked him to come up with what they had in mind and to discuss it with me.

Evidently he talked to the company atty. (the receptionist told me) and he called me back into his office this afternoon. He said I have two options:

1. I can take a salary reduction (no amount specified yet) with cut hours, but enough hours so that I can get my job done (again, no specification on what they feel the number of hours would be to do the job to his satisfaction). I would have an evaluation done immediately (I'm not due for one until my 1 year review which isn't until Oct.), which I don't know why.
2. Work a part-time "created" position with no benefits.

I asked him what happens if I choose neither and he said "we will cross that bridge if we come to it." I told him I needed time to think about it and he said he understood but hoped I could make a decision by Friday!

I have never been written up, never had a formal evaluation and as of last month they had me go through a Notary course, all expense paid by them. Now they are trying to push me out and I am so pissed. The company doesn't have a Human Resources Dept. because we are so small. I don't know what my rights are and I just can't believe this is happening.

I left a message with an attorney, and I'm not sure who else I should call.
ImageImage
Tracy (38)
Tom (42)
Angel @ 10 weeks 06/15/01
Tanner (step-son) 09/24/96
Tristan 09/21/02 (HG#1 & preemie)
Tommy 07/20/05 (HG #2)
Tayden Layne 12/22/07 (HG #3 and preemie)
Tracy34
Been There Done That

Postby krdoty » Jun 19, 2007 4:55 pm

I don't have any ideas for you. Just :hugs: :hugs: .
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby JennyK » Jun 19, 2007 5:06 pm

I'm sorry you're in such a difficult situation. Definitely talk to a good attorney about employment laws in your state.

Rather than taking unpaid leave as you need it, would your employer consider putting you on leave without pay and hiring a temp? You might have to pay your medical premiums (I assume this is a benefit your employer covers), and I'm sure that would be difficult, but it might be a way to hold your job until you are healthy again.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby JennyK » Jun 19, 2007 5:07 pm

Another thought...does your husband have coverage through his employer? If so you should be able to be added to his benefit if you lose yours.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Jun 19, 2007 8:31 pm

I agree, I think you need to talk to a lawyer.

I would think that option #1 sounds like some sort of set up to get you fired for cause so that they wouldn't have to pay unemployment benefits.

Has anyone else in the company taken unpaid leave for medical reasons? Because they do have to treat you the same as other employees, so that may be the best recourse you might have.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment