AFLAC????

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

AFLAC????

Postby ptfrog19 » Jul 02, 2007 9:52 am

I am looking into getting an Aflac short term disability policy that covers HG as with my first pregnancy I had severe HG and was tube fed for 9 months and couldn’t work. When I talked to a rep they said that they don’t offer an individual short term policy…it had to be obtained through your employer and at least 3 people had to be on it. Unfortunately there are only 2 of us total, so that wont work.

My question is, does anyone have or have had a policy that covers HG and if so how was it obtained (individually vs through an employer) and what was the actual name of the policy?
ptfrog19

Postby JennyK » Jul 02, 2007 12:49 pm

I wonder if the insurance regulations are different in your state. AFLAC started a group of one (me) through my employer so I could get short term disability for HG. It paid off beautifully.

Good luck finding something.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Jul 02, 2007 9:08 pm

I've been wondering about that. I am currently the only employee of a corporation that I own, and I was wondering if I would be able to get group insurance. I have an individual policy that specifically excludes pg because of my history. I have been rejected for a group policy through a professional organization. I am covered under state disability which would give me a little bit at least, but not much.

The other thing you might try would be a "Hospital Income Insurance" policy. It pays for a certain amount daily (usually $100-500) if you are admitted to the hospital. I have seen group policies offered by different professional organizations and unions, and they usually cover hospitalization of your familiy members too, so if you can't get one, maybe your husband could?
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby octobermomma » Jul 06, 2007 12:07 pm

I used to sell AFLAC and unless they have changed it, there are some policies that they can sell on an individual basis...it costs more than if you had a group thing through work but it can be done...they just don't like to do it because it is more work and they don't make as much commission....try talking to a newer agent who is trying to build their sales....
~Kelly
octobermomma
Master of HG

Postby MichellevsHG » Jul 18, 2007 5:52 pm

Does anyone know if you can still get an AFLAC policy if your employer already offers short term disability?
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby JennyK » Jul 18, 2007 5:56 pm

My understanding is that all your employer has to do is agree to run it through their payroll. It's no expense to the employer as long as they don't mind assigning the payroll person to take care of it.

If you pay your premiums with dollars that have already been taxed you do not have to pay income tax on the money you receive from your claims.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby octobermomma » Jul 27, 2007 2:18 pm

jenny is right about the tax thing...as far as if your employer already offers a short term disability program, they probably won't want to add an aflac short term disability because it would confuse people. if you already have a short term, it would have to coordinate with aflac...basically you wouldn't get paid any more to carry both...otherwise no one would go back to work....both policies would pay a portion of the benefits but the percentage of your pay that is replaced would still remain the same...so if you were going to get 50% of you income replaced, one policy would pay 25% and the other would pay 25% to equal the 50%...you couldn't collect 50% from both

did that make sense?
~Kelly
octobermomma
Master of HG

RE:

Postby ptfrog19 » Aug 01, 2007 1:31 pm

Just thought I would follow up with my earlier post regarding ALFLAC insurance. I met with the agent and all he wanted to offer me (as an individual not through an employer) was a hospital plan in the event I was hospitalized. What I was actually looking for was income replacement disability, where I would get all or a good portion of my paycheck paid to me through benefits. Through doing research and meeting with other companies I believe I have found an alternative to AFLAC. They are called Assurity. Check them out online. I met with an Allstate agent who sells these other policies as well. For minimal monthly payments I would get income reimbursement in the event I decide to get pregnant again, so having to work or being able to afford things wont be an issue for me this time around. In the event, I have to use this policy…the monthly payments do not get made…it gets wrapped into the claim and the monthly allowable benefit, based on wages. They have different levels and time frames…mine would begin after only 30 days of being out of work…and I can make a claim as soon as the policy goes into effect…no waiting period…like the 10 months that AFLAC quoted me. So anyone who is interested check them out…I recommend at least looking into it.
ptfrog19

Postby JennyK » Aug 01, 2007 9:54 pm

That is fabulous news! It should be a huge load off your mind to know finances will be taken care of.

Insurance policies are regulated by each state, so what is available in one state may not be available in another. It is likely there will be similar, but not necessarily identical policies in different states.

With my AFLAC disability policy I only had to be out of work 7 days and the waiting period was one month. There was no waiting period with my hospital ins policy. The disabilty policy explicitly covered HG (!!) and explicitly excluded morning sickness. I spent a lot more time in the hospital than I anticipated, and I really cleaned up on the hospital ins policy. The premiums for the hospital policy were really cheap, too.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment