Just realized I didn't get annual raise! *UPDATE

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Just realized I didn't get annual raise! *UPDATE

Postby maryliz » Jul 05, 2007 8:23 am

I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They actually created a position for me! A raise too. A really nice raise! I get to tell this place to shove it! I'm so happy!

:evil:

I JUST found out that I didn't get the annual raise that EVERYONE in my agency got! I was looking at my paycheck and realized that it didn't appear that I had in increase in my pay. The raise took place in January. So I calculated it and sure enough I got NOTHING! So I asked my boss assuming that they made a mistake (maybe cause I was on maternity leave) but NOPE! He said I wasn't "here enough" to get the raise. Why is it known that EVERYONE gets one then??? What they just pick and choose? They said it was NOT merit based and now in my case it is? And you would think that an agency that services people with disabiliteis would be a little more understanding when their own staff has one! I am beyond livid!!!

Good news though I have an interview today and I hope I get it cause I can't wait to blow this popsicle stand and I can't WAIT to rub it in their faces and tell them how I really think about them!

Did I ever tell you guys that I was the ONLY woman in this entire agency who didn't get a baby shower too? I had to watch 4 of my coworkers get one and somehow I was passed over! Its like I had the plague or something when I had HG! No one knew how to approach me, how to talk to me, anything.

Just one more reason I wish to not stay!
Last edited by maryliz on Jul 16, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mommy to...
Bayleigh (Peanut), 7
Noa (Puddin), 2
Avery (Ava Belle) 7 Months
and yes, Caesar too, my puppy son!
maryliz
Been There Done That

Postby krdoty » Jul 06, 2007 7:07 pm

I would suggest that you contact your state labor department. They can help you determine whether you are entitled to back pay.
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby skeptic » Jul 06, 2007 10:16 pm

Wouldn't it be funny if you put a labor claim against a disabilities agency? :wink:
_.Cris
skeptic
Devoted to You

Postby Tracy34 » Jul 08, 2007 2:40 pm

That falls under pregnancy discrimination. They can't deny you a promotion, raise, or any other benefit that others in the office have been entitled to, just because of your pregnancy.

I agree with the others, that I would take this a bit further. It's against the law.
ImageImage
Tracy (38)
Tom (42)
Angel @ 10 weeks 06/15/01
Tanner (step-son) 09/24/96
Tristan 09/21/02 (HG#1 & preemie)
Tommy 07/20/05 (HG #2)
Tayden Layne 12/22/07 (HG #3 and preemie)
Tracy34
Been There Done That

Postby maryliz » Jul 09, 2007 8:38 am

So you don't think that my missing work due to my HG should be legally considered as a justified reason to deny my raise?

This is what I thought but I wasn't sure.

Should I contact the EEOC?

Mommy to...
Bayleigh (Peanut), 7
Noa (Puddin), 2
maryliz
Been There Done That

Postby Tracy34 » Jul 09, 2007 9:11 am

Yes I would contact EEOC. This is the same thing that I am going through right now (not with a raise though, but with them trying to demote me/change my position because of being sick with HG).

EEOC can at least steer you in the right direction as to whether you have a claim or not, but according to the lawyer I had to hire, if your illness is pregnancy related then they have to treat you the same way as they would treat any other "temporarily" disabled person. Now if they have denied raises to those who were temporarily out on disability, then they are not treating you any differently; make sense?

You can't be denied promotions, raises, benefits that others in the office have been entitled to, due to your pregnancy. That's where the discrimination comes in.

Hope this helps.
ImageImage
Tracy (38)
Tom (42)
Tommy 07/20/05 (HG #2)
Tracy34
Been There Done That

Postby maryliz » Jul 09, 2007 9:35 am

Yes, this helps. I did speak to one co-worker who was disabled because she suffered from a stroke. I asked her if they did the same thing to her, but her situation was a little different because she lost her job from it and had to reapply when she was recovered. They told her she didn't qualify under FLMA, because she was only here for like 6 mo. at the time, but wouldn't she had been saved under the ADA...American with Disabilities Act?

Again, being that this agency services people with disabilities, you would think we would be treated a little better.

When I came back from leave I was told that I was "lucky" because they didn't have to keep my job for me because I didn't qualify for FMLA either.

That really pissed me off, to come back to work and be told something like that was just really upsetting. It made me feel like I didn't even belong here anymore. There are just some things you don't "have" to say to someone. And I've felt like an outsider ever since!

Mommy to...
Bayleigh (Peanut), 7
Noa (Puddin), 2
maryliz
Been There Done That

Postby Tracy34 » Jul 10, 2007 7:22 am

Obviously it seems like these people don't know how to treat their own employees. The thing is, they count on people NOT knowing their rights and the laws associated with those rights.

Believe me when I say I understand how angry you are. I have such a hard time walking into this job every day and continue to be professional, all the while, thinking to myself how badly I just want to tell my boss to shove it.

I'd still contact EEOC and see what they have to say.
ImageImage
Tracy (38)
Tom (42)
Tommy 07/20/05 (HG #2)
Tracy34
Been There Done That

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment