I just got "laid off"

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

I just got "laid off"

Postby ShoshP » Aug 06, 2007 5:23 pm

I called my office manager today to ask about my short-term disability policy, because I still haven't gotten a check yet. When she called me back, she told me that because my practice group in the firm hasn't been making enough money this year, they have to lay me off. She claims that they have no problem with my work, and they will not fight a claim for unemployment benefits. I will get a severance package and my insurance will be covered for 2 months.

As much as she says it's about money, I can't help but think it was due to my HG pregnancy and the problems that led to. I worked my A$$ off trying to keep up, even working from home while I was on bedrest for preterm labor, but I guess it just wasn't enough.

I have no idea how I'm going to find a job before the severance package and insurance runs out in 2 months. I live in a medium-sized town in Ohio, and the area of law I'm experienced in is quite small - there may not be any other firms in this practice area who are hiring.

I'm just devastated and overwhelmed. Here I am trying to recover from a c-section and terribly difficult pregnancy, and now I need to rush into a job search.

Shoshana
<br>Image
ShoshP
Welcomed Friend

Postby theannex » Aug 06, 2007 7:15 pm

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Something similar happened to me as well after I had my DD, so I know how stressful that is.

It is so discouraging to see so much discrimination (which 9 times out of 10 it is, even if we can't prove it) against capable, professional women who were just unlucky enough to have HG. Sometimes I think we need to fund legal defense funds along with medical research.

In the end, I guess we can take some small comfort that we're escaping workplaces (however unvoluntarily) where obviously our supervisors are/were ignorant a**es.
Patricia
mom to DD (b. 2003, had severe HG with PICC/TPN) and DS (b. 2007, controlled HG with pre-emptive meds and also diet-controlled GD)
theannex
Opinionated HGer

Postby peanut » Aug 06, 2007 11:34 pm

Just to give you a little more time to recover, unemployment typically can last for 3 months AND they can help you find a job.
Lora
Image Image

[/url]
peanut
Master of HG

Postby skeptic » Aug 08, 2007 8:36 pm

Honey, I'm so sorry. Can you go on unemployment? You should go as soon as possible. It might help while you get on your feet.

_.Cris
skeptic
Devoted to You

Postby ShoshP » Aug 10, 2007 12:04 pm

I will be given a severance package of 2 month's salary, so I don't know if I have to wait for that to be paid before I apply for unemployment or not. I have started looking for a job, and am working to update my resume, but I don't have a working printer at home right now, so I have to go to the library to print it out.

My old boss says he feels terrible about having to let me go, and he said he'd be making calls to other attorneys on my behalf, in the hopes that someone is hiring. I'll have to see what happens.

If the job search goes too long, I'll probably have to sign up to do temporary secretary work again, but that is not ideal because I won't have benefits, which are really important - I cannot be without health insurance. I suppose I might be able to qualify for Healthy Start Medicaid once I go on unemployment, depending on how much I get paid from them.

Shoshana
<br>Image
ShoshP
Welcomed Friend

Postby skeptic » Aug 12, 2007 8:25 pm

When I was laid off unemployment benefits started as soon as the last day of 'separation'. So go ahead and apply ASAP. The way it works is that you check in every two weeks to say that you haven't found a job, usually by phone with a pin and you get either actual paper checks or direct deposits. Note: You can choose to withhold taxes or not from unemployment.

Depending on the state you can also get basic health insurance for yourself as well as long as you have children underage and meet income criteria aside from unemployment. (Coverage is very good, I've heard.) I know someone who has that and she is even able to get depression counseling. I will keep you in my prayers. Don't hesitate to try and get all the help you can.

:hugs:
_.Cris
skeptic
Devoted to You

Postby PallasAthena » Oct 13, 2007 4:48 pm

Is that even legal to lay you off during a disability/maternity leave? That strikes me as being VERY shady.
My HG Blog: Knocked Up - Knocked Over

Gabriela Sofia: born 11/5/2007, moderate HG 1st and 3rd tri
DD#2 - So Far: Intense HG during the 1st tri, but with very aggressive & early treatment it cleared up in the 2nd tri. NVP returned at 28 wks, taking 8 mg Zofran+20 mg Nexium at night. Protocol on my blog & in the HG prep folder.
PallasAthena
Devoted to You

Postby jen1473 » Oct 13, 2007 6:36 pm

I agree that it seems shady. I know you work for an attorney - but I would definitely contact an employment attorney and see what your options are.

I worked at a large law firm when I was pregnant with my 1st. I went on short term disability and then long term disability. They "terminated" my position, but I was still eligible to keep getting the long term disability until 6 weeks after the baby was born.

I wasn't planning on going back anyway - so I didn't care, considering I got all the disability money I deserved.

But - still think you should talk to someone...and wouldn't sign anything from your company until you did talk to someone else.

Good luck!
~Jennifer~
3x HG Survivor!

jen1473
Devoted to You

Postby jen1473 » Oct 13, 2007 6:39 pm

Also - her telling you that they "won't" fight a claim for unemployment is total BS.

They *can't* fight a claim because they are laying you off - you did not quit! So right there shows that they are trying to make you feel like they are doing you a favor and have your best interests in mind when it's just lip service....
~Jennifer~
3x HG Survivor!

jen1473
Devoted to You

Postby ShoshP » Oct 13, 2007 11:39 pm

Actually, I'm an attorney, too. I know what they did was really shady, but I couldn't afford not to sign the severance agreement, because I needed the cash, so I have already agreed not to sue.

My job search is still ongoing, but I'm doing a temporary job as an administrative assistant. It pays only about half what I was making, so it's going to be impossible to cover all the bills, but I do have health insurance through the temporary agency, so at least there is that. Since I am getting money doing temporary work, I wouldn't be eligible for unemployment benefits.

On the other hand, I do have an interview this Wednesday with a child support enforcement agency, so we'll see what happens.

Shoshana
<br>Image
ShoshP
Welcomed Friend

Postby jen1473 » Oct 14, 2007 3:07 pm

Oh wow. It's really awful what a company will do to you when you are sick!!!! But - hopefully you'll get something soon and it will all work out!

Good luck. Sending positive vibes your way...
~Jennifer~
3x HG Survivor!

jen1473
Devoted to You

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment