Dropped of my insurance "since HG is not debilitating.&

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Dropped of my insurance "since HG is not debilitating.&

Postby JennyDarling » Nov 11, 2007 12:37 am

I was dropped off of my Blue Cross/Blue Shield because they felt that HG was not a good enough reason to not be able to remain in school.

Luckily since we're in grad school, I qualified for Medicaid. I have to take Zofran daily, and they will only cover 12/month- NO EXCEPTIONS. It costs about $1200/month to pay for the generic Zofran without insurance. I kind of put this situation off for a little while because I stocked up on Zofran before I was dropped. But now, I'm about to run out of medicine.

It's looking like the baby is going to come early, but if he doesn't, they will have to put me in the hospital on an IV of Zofran so it is paid for (since we can't afford to pay out of pocket). I have already spent 11 days of this pregnancy in the hospital, and really don't want to have to spend another week or two in there just to get meds.

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Jameson Aiden Painter
Born 11/18/07
8lbs. 10oz.
22 in.
JennyDarling

Postby JennyK » Nov 14, 2007 5:29 pm

What about getting a zofran pump? It is covered under major medical rather than Rx coverage. I'm not sure how it would work with Medicaid.

I am sorry--it is crappy of BCBS to have dropped you, and wasteful of Medicaid to hospitalize you rather than provide zofran.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby teddi » Nov 14, 2007 6:56 pm

I agree it's terribly wasteful. I'm hoping someone w/Medicaid can pipe in.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby MichellevsHG » Nov 14, 2007 8:49 pm

That's who I have and they are a pain in the butt with covering Zofran ODTs. My doctor called them and told them that she would put me in the hospital if they didn't cover it. They finally agreed to it, but would only pay for the generic. :roll:

They had no problem paying for the PICC and IV Zofran and fluids though. :?
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment