Questions about medical stuff in Arizona

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Questions about medical stuff in Arizona

Postby desertsailor » Feb 24, 2010 4:02 am

Hello ladies, I've started thinking about the medical aspect of getting pregnant again since that's the only thing right now holding me back. The bf has told me anytime I'm ready he's willing so as soon as I can find the answers and a compatent doctor I can talk to, we can start TTC. :) I'm in Tucson, AZ if that helps...

Has anyone tried to apply for Short Term Disability in Arizona? How does STD work? I know I'm probably going to have to get it at some point since I'm a cook and last pg I could barely walk to our kitchen and make stuff, let alone work in a galley and make food for hundreds of people, yet I don't want to lose this job.

Are there any birth centers that deal with PICC lines, etc or do I have to deal with the clinics and hospitals for that?

Are there any good doctors that deal well with HG in Arizona?

Can anyone think of anything else that I may be forgetting, health/medical wise? Is there something you can recommend I need to look up or look into? I'm totally new at all the resources out there that help since I knew nothing last time. I'm trying to stack the deck as much in my favor as I can before doing this. Thank you everyone. :)
Adrian my December angel lost 4/26/07 @ 6w4d Severe HG
Austin my June angel lost 12/2/09 @ 12w2d Severe HG
Caitlyn my August angel lost 1/23/13 @ 9w2d Severe HG
My Sophie, born healthy with Zofran, potassium infusions, 4 months of iv's and lots of hope

Hoping for the baby that will make our family complete.
desertsailor
Been There Done That

Postby tottie 12 » Feb 28, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi! I also live in Tucson! I can recommend my last OB/GYN. Dr. Victor Chen. He was very proactive and I liked his medical assistant, at the Oro Valley location. (There is another location at Orange Grove)
Do NOT use Dr. Jeffery Palen (he was my first OB), he completely denied I had HG, despite losing 25lbs.
Sorry, I don't know anything about STD.
tottie 12
Been There Done That

Postby desertsailor » Mar 01, 2010 4:43 am

Thanks for the referral, I'll have to check him out this week and see if he takes my insurance. I looked it up and is he at the Tangerine or La Cholla location? How did he handle your HG? My last doctor never even saw me, pushed me onto his nurses instead, got a call from the hospital telling them how bad a shape I was in and still told them it wasn't important to admit me. :roll: Total quack...
Adrian my December angel lost 4/26/07 @ 6w4d Severe HG
Austin my June angel lost 12/2/09 @ 12w2d Severe HG
Caitlyn my August angel lost 1/23/13 @ 9w2d Severe HG
My Sophie, born healthy with Zofran, potassium infusions, 4 months of iv's and lots of hope

Hoping for the baby that will make our family complete.
desertsailor
Been There Done That

Postby tottie 12 » Mar 03, 2010 12:25 am

He was such an improvement over my last doctor that I may have overstated his greatness!
He was great with the zofran scripts, never gave me a hassle. He hospitalized me once, and then put me on home health with an IV drip. They were great about proactively treating me. I never asked to go the steriod route, so I don't know what his stance was on that.
I also really appricated that fact that he arranged for me to go into L& D triage INSTEAD of the ER even though I was under the usual 23 week requirement. Usually you have to be 23 weeks to go into L & D, but he got them to waive that for me (his idea, not mine) This was so nice because, as I'm sure you know the ER sucks alot, and the Womens Center triage is sooooo nice, cushy beds, clean, no wait, more attentive nursing.
He is not really good at the whole spending time thing. My appointments were pretty brief, but I was okay with that for the most part.
He did a great job on my c-section. He was recommended to me by another doctor, my fertility doctor, Dr. Hutichson. Dr. Hutchison's children were delivered by Dr. Chen. So I figured that if another doctor feels good about him, I'd try it.

Yes, he has two locations one at Tangerine and one at Orange Grove.
Feel free to email me with any other questions.
-Tottie 12
tottie 12
Been There Done That

Postby tottie 12 » Mar 03, 2010 12:28 am

Also, I really liked the Women Center Triage, when I went in for IV drip. It is low traffic and clean, and I can still remember the smell of the medical tape and how it helped with my nausea.
Weird what smells good while HGing.
tottie 12
Been There Done That

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment