Tips/Questions Re: SDI

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Tips/Questions Re: SDI

Postby MichellevsHG » Mar 11, 2010 3:44 pm

I just found out that my employer does NOT offer their employees short-term disability insurance (ie as in 6 wks- 8wks maternity). This is totally going to screw me if I 1) get HG again and its just as severe as last time and 2) recovering from a c-section for 8 wks.

I don't know anything about Pennsylvania law, but can anyone point me in the right direction. Should I question this? Are there laws that protect me? If not, can I get SDI on my own? If so, where do I start?

I am so upset right now. This will basically mean without SDI I will be taking 8wks of UNPAID leave and then going back to work while putting my 8 wk old with the sitter. With my daughter I was able to take the entire 12 weeks (paid sick time + SDI for 8 wks). It honestly wasn't that hard on us financially, BUT this is going to hurt us significantly. :(
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby newmom10 » Mar 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Employers are not required to offer short term disability. I work for a family run business and they offer the benefit however it is 100% paid by the employee.
newmom10

Postby teddi » Mar 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Perhaps someone with AFLAC experience will offer some suggestions? Some of our members have used that.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby MichellevsHG » Mar 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Ok, found out some information ....... employers in PA do not have to offer SDI or LDI. Apparently there's a bill in the house that will require it, but that's a long ways away and I'm sure it will be a fight with small business owners before it even passes. IMO, it should be law with similar policy like FMLA.

Our district benefits s*ck. I also found out that they *may* be discriminating against *maternity* being an actual disability while providing other employees who are disabled an "income protection plan". I'm still trying to get information on this. I already know an EEOC attorney so I will fight it if this is in fact true.

We have life insurance policies through Met Life and I found out that they do offer Income Disability Protection plans. In fact one of their plans would cover nearly 95% of your income. I plan on contacting our life insurance rep about this. Especially if there is a waiting period and we plan on TTCing this summer.

I do qualify for the 12 wks of FMLA as well as using all my accrued sick time. So if I did get HG again and couldn't come into work I could use sick time and then my FMLA for maternity leave.

I also found out that I really hate HG. Even more now. I hate that I have to plan out my entire life just to get pregnant. I really hate HG!!
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby mrsbigdog » Mar 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Unfortunately for me, my employers had no short-term disability with any of my pregnancies. I was allowed time off for having a baby but except for two weeks vacation time the rest was unpaid.

With #1 my dr required I stop working two weeks before delivery and I had some problems after so I was out a total of ten weeks. I had two weeks vacation and 5 sick days - after that it was unpaid.

With #2 I missed three weeks because of HG in first tri and it was paid with vacation and sick time. I had no time to use after delivery so everything was unpaid. I worked until noon on the day I delivered and went back part-time two weeks later since I could bring my dd along and work while she slept. It was a small family business so that worked.

With #3 my employer discontinued my employment while I was sick (first tri) so I just had unemployment benefits while HGing. Unemployment payments ended one week after I delivered.

I would have loved to work some place that offered short-term disability but never had the chance.

Donna
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby teddi » Mar 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Make sure you also clarify how they use FMLA.

You can be put on your 12 weeks of FMLA status, which guarantees only that your benefits be maintain and your job (or an similar job) is kept for you. They can force you to also use your sick leave while on FMLA. So doublecheck what their policy is, whether they add on the sick time leave or make you use it when the FMLA clock starts.
Teddi
~Angel babe~ March 2012
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby teddi » Mar 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Make sure you also clarify how they use FMLA.

You can be put on your 12 weeks of FMLA status, which guarantees only that your benefits be maintain and your job (or an similar job) is kept for you. They can force you to also use your sick leave while on FMLA. So doublecheck what their policy is, whether they add on the sick time leave or make you use it when the FMLA clock starts.
Teddi
~Angel babe~ March 2012
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby MichellevsHG » Mar 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Oooo, good question Teddi. I will check into that. Unfortunately, I think I'll have used all my sick time prior to taking the FMLA :( (that's what happened last time), but I'm definitely going to check into that. Thanks!

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby sweetpea » Mar 16, 2010 12:14 am

I had to use all of my sick time. I then was able to get 45 extra sick days from the teacher's union. (Teachers contribute one day a year and are able to get extra days - up to 45 - if really needed. They unfortunately just changed that to 20 days.) I was then on FMLA. Long term disability did eventually kick in. After delivery I had 6 weeks, and then went back to work. However, I was out longer than my FMLA, so I had to apply for long term sick leave through the district. However, insurance coverage stops when FMLA runs out. Thankfully, our insurance didn't run out until after DD was born. Cobra is very expensive, but should be available. It was frustratingly complicated - especially when you are sick! You really have to figure out how to work the system. I'm glad you're looking into it ahead of time.
Faith - April 1, 2009
Grace - November 26, 2010
Ladybug (foster baby) June 7, 2011

Angel baby January 2012
Angel baby February 2012

sweetpea
HG Diva

Postby MichellevsHG » Mar 16, 2010 8:21 am

So they're offering the income protection plan to disabled employees, like breaking your leg and being out of work for 2 months, BUT they do not offer it to pregnant moms for illness or delivery. Discrimination? I think so. :evil:

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby augustmomma » Mar 16, 2010 11:27 pm

Oh Michelle! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this!!! My school district I taught for here in Texas did offer short term disability. I have no idea if it is a state law or not, but I'm guessing not as it is Texas.........Does your district possibly have a sick leave bank? We had one and so after I used all my own personal sick days (I did have to use them all) I got to stay home another 6 weeks (30 days) using the sick leave bank and was paid the entire time....this got me through the worst of HG. I then still qualified for 12 weeks of FMLA leave after having Brynn (but 6 of those were unpaid).
Jenni

DD 08/07 moderate HG weeks 7-20
DS 09/09 NVP controlled with meds
DS 08/12 severe HG weeks 4.5-15 with home health IV hydration, IV Zofran and phenergan
mild HG weeks 15-24 32 mg/day of ODT zofran
augustmomma
Opinionated HGer

Postby MichellevsHG » Mar 17, 2010 8:37 am

Thanks Jenni. The district I'm in now got rid of the sick leave bank when they negotiated this contract. :(

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Mar 17, 2010 9:49 am

Yes, that does sound like discrimination. Federal law does state that they must treat pregnancy related disability the same as other disabilities. I'm surprised nobody has called them on it before now!!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby MichellevsHG » Mar 17, 2010 1:21 pm

I have no idea either Aimee! In fact, the Income Protection Plan is part of our contract I found out! Not letting women use it for pregnancy is a grievance . . . and seriously I went from a district with 180 teachers to this one where there are at least 700. I can't believe no one has questioned this before me . . . and I know no one has because the union president was like "oh I'll have to look into that". WTF?

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Mar 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Hmmm, the union leaders in the district are probably older right? Not at the age where they are going to be having any more pregnancies? I wonder if they are actually fully aware of the problem, but don't do anything about it because then the benefits might get reduced if more people are eligible for them? If you get nowhere with them, you might want to go to a regional representative - or someone else without a conflict of interest in the matter!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby MichellevsHG » Mar 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Interesting you say that, the pres is my age but not married, no children . . . and the others are either older males or older females (done having kids). If this doesn't get resolved, I *will* contact our UniServ Rep from the state union. It just boggles my mind.

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment