How to pay the bills when you can't work?

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

How to pay the bills when you can't work?

Postby Satori » Jan 01, 2006 5:55 pm

I'm a single mom and haven't heard from dd's bio dad since I said "I'm pregnant" no loss there but also no help. I left work a year ago after the company ran into financial trouble and cut my hours in half and was offered another job which fell through :evil: ended up getting unemployment until it was exhausted and went back to college to get my degree. Due to 2 HG pregs in the last year I was unable to finish 2 semesters and had my financial aid at school killed and that's how I paid the bills. Appealing won't do much good because its a 50 mile commute to school then spending all day in class and right now I think its a major thing if I get a shower and the dishes done in one day, forget school. I do get $1000mo in back child support which pays the rent and car payment but there's no money for other bills. Do I have any options? Welfare is out since I make to much money in child support and they will throw me into welfare to work which I cant work 32 hours a week right now, if I could I wouldn't be in this position! The only thing I can think of is state disability but is that even an option since I haven't worked in a year? I had enough from fin aid at school to cover the bills and then some with working here and there at temp jobs so it wasn't something I was worried about. Any suggestions?
Multiple time HG suvivor, 1st time getting any treatment for it. Due June 2006 and loving my PICC line :)
Satori

Postby teddi » Jan 04, 2006 3:26 pm

State disability might be an option, as you were a fulltime student. It can't hurt to check it out. Other things you might look into (if you haven't already) is programs that give discounts on phone service/ eletric bill for low income families.

I know it might be not a fun thing to do, but maybe you can trade in/sell your car and buy another cheaper care and either eliminate or substantially lower the car payment. IMO, cars just need to a) run decently and b) be safe.

You might want to call the welfare dept, perhaps? you qualify temporarily ??? if you are unable to work? And sometimes welfare departments do have a list of community resources - folks and programs that may be able to help you out.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby JennyK » Jan 04, 2006 3:56 pm

You could apply for social security benefits. And as Teddi said, I'd at least try for various welfare programs if you haven't already. I also liked her idea about asking community groups. You should be able to get help with your utility bills this time of year through LIEAP and/or an energy share program.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Jan 04, 2006 5:06 pm

Unless things have changed, for social security disability benefits, you need to be expected to be out of work for over a year, so that doesn't work well for hg.

In CA they make you go to classes and training for welfare, but you can get out of those with a doctor's excuse - is that possible where you are?
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby JennyK » Jan 04, 2006 5:17 pm

Yep, Aimee is right about the 12 months for SSI benefits. Sorry, I forgot about that requirement.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment