Concerned

A place where partners, fathers, friends, and family members can discuss experiences and difficulties regarding loved ones' Hyperemesis.

Moderator: cormander

Postby krdoty » Dec 31, 2006 5:59 pm

Albert,

Thanks for getting us the update on your wife. I think it's great that she's gaining weight again! I hope that her HG disappears very soon so that she can enjoy at least a part of this pregnancy.
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby simplekelly » Dec 31, 2006 6:14 pm

that's a really good update! the zofran gave me bad headaches as well during the first few weeks i was on it and can be a side effect of the zofran. the headaches have since let up. and zofran never took away the nausea away completely and doesn't for many women which is also normal.

i am so glad to hear that she is eating and drinking little bits again. give her lots of :hugs: from us.
Kelly
mama to
Jake (1-9-02) MS to wk 13
Justin (6/13/03) NO MS!
Addison (2/16/07) HG wk 8-birth
simplekelly
Devoted to You

Postby jesspinky1 » Dec 31, 2006 6:57 pm

I am glad to hear things are going well!
Hailey 7-23-98 HG baby
Isaiah and Malachi 3-25-03 NVP
Dominic 2-27-01 adopted
William 11-14-06 HG baby
Aaliyah 10-3-08 HG baby
jesspinky1
HG Diva

Postby A.M. » Mar 06, 2007 12:19 am

Hello again everyone,

I'd like to share some wonderful news with the group. Today we visited the OB for an ultrasound and discovered the sex of our baby.

It's a girl. :D

She's healthy and developing on schedule; we're currently at 19.5 weeks with the due date still in late July.

I had no preference for the sex of the baby, but I believe it came to me in a dream last week. My wife recently decided that she wanted a ladybug-themed room for a girl (this was before we knew). About a week ago, I had a dream that I was walking through the living room of our house and finding large ladybugs in random places. And this was after we originally had a hunch that it would be a boy.

Also, after my last post on Dec. 31, when everything was looking up, my wife actually got worse (much, MUCH worse). She was admitted to the hospital for nine days in early January after a particularly bad bout of vomiting and some weight loss. I slept in a recliner in her room every night and I would have done it a thousand times over. Luckily, the HG pretty much ended in late January, and now my wife is medication-free and *almost* nausea free.

I see there are some new husbands in the forum. Stay strong, guys. There were times when I thought there was absolutely no way we could go through with this pregnancy. But in those moments when there seemed to be little hope, we just kept going. Together. Never giving up on each other, and trying to see the light at the end of the long, dark tunnel. On some particularly bad days, I wished I had someone else's life. Today was a different story. In hand, I had the latest sonogram pictures and a giddy sensation in my chest. I couldn't believe we had done it. We actually endured all that sickness, worry, and excruciating pain. It was more than worth it.

I love you all for supporting me and wish you the best, wherever you are and whatever you are dealing with. I'm going to have to take some time out of my busy schedule to catch up with all the posts. Spring Break is coming soon, so that will be a good time.

(Oh, and by the way, my wife is already talking about having a second child. The nurses were right about that "pregnancy amnesia" after all.)

Take care, everyone.

Cheers,
Albert
"Love is fresh, new, not mere gratification, not mere habit. It is unconditional." - J. Krishnamurti
A.M.

Postby *my3sons* » Mar 07, 2007 12:39 am

Oh Albert, I am so happy for you, your wife, and your baby girl.

Thanks for being an excellent advocate. When you advocate for someone you are actually educating medical professionals that may deal with a future HGer in trouble.

:hugs:
Amy
my3sons
3X HG Survivor
loved and lost 2005
*my3sons*
HG Expert

Postby Susannah » Mar 27, 2007 2:58 pm

Congratulations on your little girl and her lady-bug room. I had a baby girl almost a year ago. She was a ladtbug for Halloween and we call her bug :D

I hope your wife continues to sail through the rest of pregnancy. Thats great news that she is willing to think about having another. Make sure she comes and checks out the preparation folder here. There are many things that can help lessen HG.
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby AJ » Apr 03, 2007 9:27 pm

I hadn't seen this thread before. I'm in the same boat as you and bdeleon. You can read my wife's story here:
http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?t=18051

It's good to hear that your wife has turned the corner. We are enterring 10 weeks and my wife is in the thick of it.

Thankfully I have family helping me. Between taking care of our 3 yr old, taking her to the ER or Doctors, trying to find things that will stay down, keeping the house in a semi reasonable state, managing the home care and working, I only get about 4 hr of *interrupted* sleep a night and after 5 weeks of this, I'm soooo exhausted. Some days I can't even think. I'm fighting so hard so that she does not go into a downward spiral.

But what we suffer is nothing in comparison. These women are tough!!!
AJ - Proud Father
Kayden Feb 02, 04 - NVP/Mild HG
Due Date Oct 31, 07 - Seems like severe HG
AJ

Postby A.M. » Aug 16, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm happy to say that our beautiful baby girl was born July 31. She is healthy and strong. My wife says she would do it all over again if she could, HG and all. We certainly couldn't have made it without the love and support you all have shown.

The experience has inspired me to write a blog about my new life as a father. It's called The New Fatherhood: http://thenewfatherhood.blogspot.com/. I mentioned HG in my first two posts and plan to add more information about the condition in later entries. Check out TNF and let me know what you think.
A.M.

Postby krdoty » Aug 16, 2007 9:37 pm

Congratulations! I'm so glad to see your update. You were a wonderful support to your wife during her HG pregnancy, and it sounds in your blog as though you are a wonderful father as well. I know a lot of women on this site who wish their husbands and significant others could/would do the same for them.

I have bookmarked your blog and look forward to reading as time goes on. To answer a question you posed about paternity leave... My husband was given one full week off for the birth of our older son. Two days of that were spent driving because we were in the middle of an interstate move - he was living in Kentucky and I was living in Iowa. That was not nearly long enough! I won't talk about the "leave" he got this time because I am still bitter 7 months later. But I can say that three weeks would have made me ecstatic! I do think it's sad that fathers are not allowed the time to bond with their babies the way mothers are. I know a good portion of maternity leave is for mothers to heal after pregnancy, but extended maternity leave is also available for adoptive mothers who do not have the medical recovery. Still, three weeks is getting closer!
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby baz » Sep 04, 2007 6:58 pm

Hi all

Came across the site after looking for info for my girlfriend currently suffering from HG. Just wanted to say how helpful the information has been in helping me understand, even in a small way, what she's been going through this last week and half.

Reading some earlier horror stories of dealing with health care 'professionals', I feel relieved that my girlfriends condition was diagnosed by our GP straight away and was refered to the hospital last night, where she's been hooked up on an IV, but has shown no improvement today. I'm generally weary of our NHS in the UK, simply because it's on its knees due to underinvestment, so I've been trying to read up on what drugs she's been given, what triggers to look out for, etc, and what I can do as a first time dad to try and help. Seeing that there have been others gone through it and out the other side gives me a lot more confidence, so thanks again.

Cheers

baz
baz

Previous

Return to Partners, Friends, and Family