Hereditary link to HG

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Do you have a blood relative who has suffered HG (diagnosed or undiagnosed)?

Yes, I have a blood relative who has / blood relatives who have suffered from HG (diagnosed or undiagnosed)
68%
No, I am not aware of any blood relatives who have suffered from HG
32%

Total votes : 65

Hereditary link to HG

Postby Natalie » Jul 04, 2004 2:27 pm

Hi All
I have heard through the HG grapevine that HG may have a hereditary link. My mother, in addition to Liver Cholestasis (?Sp.), had NVP which progressively worsened. When pg with me, (her 3rd) she took anti-emetics until she delivered. My grandmother's NVP got so bad by her 3rd pg that she had to move country! She moved back to Belgium temporarily so that her mother, my great-grandmother could look after her and her other children. I'm thinking these sound like undiagnosed, moderate/mild cases of HG. So I got thinking about how many people here have a blood relative who has had HG. Is there enough of a link to warrant further serious investigation?
Thanks
Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby mandy » Jul 06, 2004 8:35 am

Hi Natalie,

My mother had undiagnosed hg (from what she has described to me) three times. I have had it twice. No other family members I am aware of. My sister has had one pregnancy - hg free. I wonder about a link too, as I can not believe my mother's and my pregnancies could have been so similar by coincidence............?
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby MamaLily » Jul 06, 2004 3:04 pm

My mom had HG (undiagnosed) with 4 of her 6 pregnancies. I think it was probably mild to moderate HG. She was on bendectin the entire 9 months for all 6 pregnancies, but she was definitely sickest with the 3 girls and with the last pregnancy.

My great-grandmother also had NVP. Apparently she had to be hospitalized and she survived on popcorn. Not sure about the details because she passed away years before I had HG myself! Wish I would have been able to talk with her about it.

So far my sisters have not had babies but are scared to death after seeing my HG experience! :?

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby jlgrafix » Jul 07, 2004 12:32 pm

In my family everyone felt great. My mom, aunts, grandma. My two aunts even said they felt better when they were pregnant.
----------------
Jen
DS 9-01 (HG from weeks 6-32)
Due with DD Jan 12, 05 (HG started at 6 weeks and still going)
jlgrafix

Postby DeColeCody » Sep 18, 2004 11:47 am

My mom had undiagnosed HG with me. She was so sick all she could keep down was FOODMENT cream of wheat STOP FOODMENT. I was the second and she did nto have this with the first, just like me...
DeCole Cody
Suffering in Dallas
Zofran Pump
Reglan - caused depression with pump
Phenergan Suppositories
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

Postby Atsie » Sep 18, 2004 4:25 pm

Hello,
Both my Mom and Nanny had NVP that was severe but never named HG. I just took it a step further than they did. I am such an overachiever! :wink:
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby DeColeCody » Sep 18, 2004 5:17 pm

Erin -

We are due around the same time. Keep me posted on how you are doing!
DeCole Cody
Suffering in Dallas
Zofran Pump
Reglan - caused depression with pump
Phenergan Suppositories
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

Postby nomore » Sep 18, 2004 8:36 pm

My Grandmother (Dad's Mom) had HG with all 4 of her pregnacies. She actually called me frequently when I was pregnant and my Grandfather tried to help my hubby with advice. I really felt she understood... and it meant so much to me.

At the time I thought she was a HERO doing it 4 times (and still do). Ok, maybe I thought she was a little nuts too... but here we are about to TTC #2!

My Mom also had NVP and tells me she threw up every morning she was pregnant with me. She swears it was the vitamins that made her sick. Alas, I am her only child and she told me before she hated being pregnant.

I think there must be some sort of predispostion to it.....

By the way, my grandmother said #1 (my Dad) was the worst HG and it got better with each one, so maybe there is hope!

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Sep 18, 2004 9:12 pm

Robin, it's interesting that you got it from both sides. Everyone else who had a baby around the same time as Aaron on the board had little girls and I always wonder what would happen if someday he met one of those girls and they had a baby - if it was a girl she would be cursed!!!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby nomore » Sep 19, 2004 5:48 pm

lol Aimee. I hope I am not cursed again :) Trying to remain positive, although realistic. BTW, I, of course, never heard anything about either my Mom or Grandmother being sick BEFORE I got prego with Madison.... a little heads up might of been nice :)

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby carla » Aug 22, 2005 4:20 pm

Both my mom and my sister had severe HG with their pregnancies, all of them.
carla
HG Diva

Postby di » Aug 22, 2005 5:17 pm

No-one in my maternal side of the family has had it - other pg complications, but not HG so I am inclined to think there is no link in my case. I have no knowledge of any medical history on my dad's side though. he was one of a number of children, so that would suggest (though not prove) that his mum didn't have too many problems..... I am scared though for my daughter...at least she will know it's a risk factor - I didn't. if she gets HG, I am moving in!!!
Di 8)
Severe HG Jazmin Briella born 27/05/2005.
Severe HG weeks 2-15, Mild week 16 - week 29 Moderate - Mild to delivery. Nathan Finlay, born 5 March 2009.
di
Been There Done That

Postby HelenA » Sep 08, 2005 3:44 pm

Nobody in my family has had HG diagnosed or undiagnosed.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby helen-l-a » Sep 09, 2005 12:45 pm

Hi all,
Well my mum was sick up until she had my brother and me and I know she felt very ill, but she also had pre-eclampsia so not sure if she had full blown undiagnosed HG or whether she had mild HG??? :?

Helenxxx :D
Mum to.....
Luke 1990 not a HG pregnancy.
Jonathan 1994 not a HG pregnancy
Emily 1998 HG pregnancy!
Thomas Bailey 2005 HG pregnancy

helen-l-a
HG Expert

Return to Polls & General HG Questions