What is *that* smell???

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Postby Ivydragon » Nov 04, 2005 7:48 pm

Very interesting question!

I was smelling italian dressing. The garlic would effuse my entire dh's body - I banned it from his diet for two pgs, poor man.

When we were pg w/ Anna, we were living in this small little house near a creek that was cold and shady - there were tons of pine trees, hardly anyone ever drove by, and we hardly knew our neighbors who were way to far for me to walk - I couldn't walk down the driveway to get the mail! My first memory of that house is the smell - that old house smell. I usually remember visual things first - but that house had an odor to it. We were only there for a little over a year - and I don't even want to really drive by it, and it's only an hour away, but that smell. Ugh!

Anna turns 8 next week.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby poutyangel » Nov 05, 2005 10:55 pm

Yea we found our missing cat at last!!!! she was only and indoor and Me and dh, dd had been walking up and own the street yelling for her and nothing. Finally 2 nights ago dh went out and said she was just sitting outside withh the other cat and the dog. We bathed her and now am trying to fatten her up again.
Mom to
*Hailey 6-28-00*
*Regan 4-10-06*
poutyangel
Welcomed Friend

Postby nomore » Nov 06, 2005 12:10 pm

I can smell the seasons..... I dont really smell emotions... but I can smell the after sex and AF smells you can Brandi!

But- HG wise, its the smell of heat..... humid hot SUMMER heat that disturbs me..... that and the smell of toast... either will send me into a fit of nausea or vomiting.....

My smell hasnt been as pronounced as past pregnancies.... where I swear I could smell the Freeon cooling agent in the fridge..... eveyone thought I was NUTS...... When I was prego I made poor DH scrub the inside of the fridge on a REGUALR basis.... and I still had to hold my breath when I opened it up (to get meds, etc).

Earlier in this pregnancy I could smell garlic like NO tommorow.... but now it doesnt bother me.....

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Ivydragon » Nov 07, 2005 2:14 pm

The smell of the seasons brought HG back that next year for me, and I can always smell them coming - I can smell winter in the air, and I agree, it's not the wood burning stoves, it's the snow - it's coming. I can smell it. I smell things DH can't smell - he usually thinks I'm just nuts, but w/ HG, it was horrible, at least it's bearable, now.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Natalie » Nov 07, 2005 2:43 pm

I can really smell the changing weather, especially rain / cloud / mist / sun. It's most obvious to me in Spring and Autumn.

My house - I can't stand being in it when sick, it just smells of I don't know what but it makes me gag and puke.

My biggest thing is washing powder, specifically Bold 2-in-1. I can smell it from miles away. And that is a residual leftover from my first HG pgy in '03. I just can't bear the it. Ewwwwwwwwww.

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Thandie&bensmom » Jan 07, 2007 12:45 am

If I wasn’t a few days from birth, I would have probably read your "delicately" put racist comments and addressed this then. I can’t believe you got away with making this comment. :x :x

I am appalled at the comments made by Teddi:
[quote]“I could smell .. geez, how to put this delicately... the differences between skin tones. It's not a racist thing here ok, but just a fact, that the chemical differences in the substances in the coloring of skin I was sensitize too. I have not had alot of intimate exposure to african american skin (only lived w/white/hispanic ppl) so the difference in the smell was very strong to me. While I was still at work this was a BIG problem, as many of our patients are of hispanic/african american/philipino... or homeless or elderly...and to me the smells were just overwhelming.â€Â
Thandie&bensmom
Welcomed Friend

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 07, 2007 12:00 pm

Definitely could tell what products people used, which can be cultural but isn't biological (except for simple individual differences between people), as Thandieandbensmom says. My dh was the WORST smell during my pg.

My students who used certain perfumes sent me spewing from the room. Men's colognes....ugh...the worst was dh's. I was fortunate that my students took my initial "stink" warning seriously as the young men who usually had carefully sculpted hair that required much "stuff" would come wearing head coverings and the women didn't spray stinky stuff or rub nasty lotions all over themselves. And ***foodment coffee end foodment*** was absolutely prohibited. And those who drank it within the hour were asked to sit in the back of the room :lol: They were a good bunch.
Last edited by IslandDreamer on Jan 25, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby AndreaMMS » Jan 25, 2007 9:15 am

One thing I can't stand is boiling water on the stove. It smells like cooking to me!

Oh my God- when I was pregnant I had the same thing! Everyone- including me- thought I was crazy!
Naomi Soleil born 9/23/05- Severe HG
Genevieve Siobhan born 6/05/08-Severe HG leading to PICC. Infected PICC, blood clot, blood infection,C-Diff, pytalism, thrush, UTI.....
And totally worth it!!!!!!
Hang in there!
AndreaMMS
Devoted to You

Postby JasmineHG » Jan 25, 2007 10:20 pm

i can smell "sleep." just the other day i was hugging dh and i said, mmm, you smell like sleep. i dunno what it is- but i can smell sleep- just ours- not sleep on other people.
Severe HG survivor and major Colts fan!
ImageImage
JasmineHG
HG Diva

Postby phillybrenda » Jan 30, 2007 7:36 pm

I normally have a very very strong sense of smell, so now it's so much worse, as you can all imagine!

I can definitely relate to the boiling water issue - YUCK! And, the "sick smell" someone mentioned earlier - gross.... I can tell when DH is going to be sick before he can.....

hee's a story - the other night I had a dream about a bad food smell - I won't even mention the food - but trust me, I woke up and almost got sick. :verygreen:
phillybrenda
Devoted to You

Postby NoMoreHG » Feb 01, 2007 9:45 am

Aimie and Brandi,
I too had very similar experiences. I lived in a different home with each pregnancy, and sure enough, the same stench appeared. I began to wonder if it was just us. :-) It's so potent and it drove my husband crazy. Equally as bad was general bedhead smell, metabolized garlic (which by the way is in everything), some flowers and many flowering bushes, restaurant aromas, diapers (not nearly as bad as many of the previously mentioned), mildew and molds (highly detectable), scented and unscented soaps, etc. I remember confronting my former graduate advisor, during my first pregnancy, that he smelled like bedhead. Looking back I believe I was truly out of line when I asked him if he had showered that morning. I believe he didn't skip a shower for the remainder of my pregnancy after that. :-) My husband was so angry over my heightened sense of smell. If he or anyone else around me ate any amount of garlic it sent me to insanity. I would be so sick from it. Likewise, this inhibited me from being able to be in group meetings, in a classroom setting, entering into elevators, etc. If anyone had been in that room who had eaten garlic within 24 hours, I could tell. This really hurt the social life (not that anyone with HG feels like being social). There were many times that I couldn't stand my own smell!
HG Survivor Two Times Over
Emily ~ Born Nov. 2002
Luke ~ Born May 2006
NoMoreHG
Welcomed Friend

Postby Thisbattymom » Mar 12, 2007 1:19 pm

You are NOT nuts. When I was PG, I smelled a difference in one side of my bed to the other... among other olfactory offences that turned my stomach. Many of those smells still get to me and they can cause me to have very bad migraine type headaches.

One of the first things that made me ill was the smell of fresh peaches - I was so hungry by them that I couldn't stop eating till I had eaten almost a whole bushel... then I began puking and HG took hold for the rest of my pregnancy.

I also found fresh rain on cement, especially if it was hot cement, to make me nauseated.

Certain carpet fresheners, "Country Garden" by Glade is one of the more common ones. This is also the fragrance that we used in the store I was working at when I first started to get sick w/ HG. I was "allowed to quit" just a couple weeks later due to lack of ability to fulfil my duties at that job.

I am still hypersensitive to Garlic in any form. Mom is a firm believer in garlic for everything & had it hanging in her place while I was HG and living with her. I've started to wonder if I am allergic to it now b/c I will get an overwhelming hot flash and become very weak for a while if exposed to much of it.

I am also nauseated by certain cases of BO. There is one indescribable "I've been out in the sun and sweat like a pig and now I'm in an air conditioned room" smell that leaves me unable to breath and I will develop a migraine after smelling. Not everyone gets it but it is not uncommon on my neighbor's kids from her second marriage & one of the maintenance guys. If DH or DD hang around the kids too much I have to make them take a shower b/c they can pick the aroma up. :sickfast: I have had to send people out of my home b/c of this smell.

I also can't take fresh carpet... even months after it is first laid. There is something "chemical" about it that makes my sinuses feel like I whiffed dry ice & then I get sick.

Tires are the absolute worst b/c places like Sam's & Costco have them at the door and they make you stand in the air flow. I swear, sometimes I actually begin to wheeze and my eyes water after being exposed.

Also there is a unique chemical aroma that comes from certain diapers. Huggies overnights are the worst.

There is another aroma that I still haven't figured out. It was in the rooms of the place I was at during my pregnancy. It was just as strong when I went back 2-3 years later... and I did throw up again b/c of it. There is no way to describe it :verygreen: and I don't run into it anywhere else.

My Grandmother worked in a mental facility and my grandpa worked in a correctional facility. Both swore they could smell certain types of "mental illness". When my Sister and I worked in a nursing home we could smell Cancer... which is a miracle when you think of the pervasive ammonia odor in most nursing homes.
>Me: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, spontaneous pneumothorax, Stephen Johnson's syndrome, hyperemesis gravidarium, thrombophlebitis (5x), ...etc
>DD: Duane Syndrome Strabismus, ADHD, Asperger's Syndrome, & Type 1 Diabetes. Gifted IQ
>DC: due may 2012

~Learning to leave it ALL in God's hands.~
Thisbattymom
Been There Done That

Postby Gracie » Mar 12, 2007 5:12 pm

Last pg for me it was hair... unless someone's hair was washed within the last 4-6 hours it made me wretch even if they were 3 feet away.

This pg has been much kinder to me on the HG front, but I can definitely smell all sorts of weird stuff that no one else smells... it just does not send me off to the washroom wretching and heaving.

My poor little man has his diaper changed 10-12 times a day because the minute he pees, I can smell it from across the room, even if he has powder on. Everyone just looks at me weird when I say to him "You pee'd again... I can smell you from here." He thinks its funny...
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

Postby Gul. » Apr 30, 2007 12:09 pm

My sense of smell during HG was probably 100 times sharper, became as that of the dog.
There was no smell that would please me. Fresh air somewhere far in the fields would feel better, but it would not stop nausea. Town smelled horribly of emissions, cooked food, gas from the gas stoves. I smelled that gas 1.5 miles away from my town, while no one else could.
Once I smelled even more strange, excruciatingly unpleasant smell, and later it turned out it was a smell of an old man, who died of cancer a week later. I don't really know what to make of it.
Sometimes I think, HG turned me into animal. They say that fetus goes through the stages of a fish, and so on. May be what I felt during HG is actually what my fetus felt. That stage from prehistoric development from the fish to some other small animal, could manifest itself in my body. Perhaps, the horrible condition it created for me was due to incompatibility of those prehistoric stages of existence with modern environment in which I lived, and the result of which I was.
Gul.

yuck!!!

Postby chasesmom » Jun 15, 2007 10:59 pm

I swear my smell became 100 times stronger than usual and it is already strong to begin with. Like others, I could smell things no one else could. There was a wierd smell in my room (I think from my shoe closet and all the rubber from the shoes) that would just do me in. Also, a wierd smell coming from my office chair, a wierd smell in the bathroom (I think from the sink fixtures) and one of the worst was the refrigerator. It was SO bad that my husband actually had to buy a new one.
Also, a really wierd one was people's breath. It wasn't the regular breath that comes from your mouth, but like breath from their lungs. I don't know how to describe it, but it was totally gross. I would hurt my mom's feelings, when I wouldn't want her to breath on me.
Oh, and toothpaste was wretched as was the standard garlic. :sickfast:
chasesmom

Previous

Return to Polls & General HG Questions