Did you get ill with birth control pills?

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Yes I did, now that you mention it.
73%
I don't remember.
2%
Nope, not me.
25%

Total votes : 114

Postby Hotbrass » Nov 12, 2005 8:14 pm

After reading another poll question response, this question hit me.

I was instructed to get on birth control pills 3 months before our wedding so it could build up in my system.

I think I tried 5 or 6 kinds but was ill with all of them.

During our first month of marriage, we put the microwave by the bed so I could help myself with tea etc... We finally gave up on them and I got better.

I should have known that I would react poorly to pregnancy!

I wonder if anyone else has had this pre-warning?
Last edited by Hotbrass on Dec 03, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HGx4 - Long term dental issues and Esophageal Damage
Tank (19) Untreated! Fought Pre-E last 6 weeks
Angel (17) Untreated!
Cougar (10) 6 Zofran pills. Mild PPD
Pumpkin (4) Acupuncture, Chinese Medicine, Homeopathy, IV's, Zofran and you name it, I've probably tried it.
H.F.G. is in the arms of Jesus (Miscarriage at 3 months/I was 40) after 2 months in bed sick.
Hotbrass
Been There Done That

Postby PamelaRose » Nov 12, 2005 10:23 pm

Yes, but it took awhile. I was first on the pill as a teenager to help with cysts, and I never had any problems at all unless I missed a day and doubled up, and then I'd feel nauseated and sick. I was on the pill for a couple years back then, and again in between my 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th pregnancies, and I had no problems. But when I went back on it for 6 months after my youngest was born, I was nauseated all the time and often on the verge of vomiting. It was kind of exciting, though, because I figure that's got to be what normal "morning sickness" must be like?
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Jenny » Nov 13, 2005 2:07 am

Yes! But I only tried them for two months as a newlywed when I was 19 years old. They made me so sick, every smell, changes in air conditioning, light flashing all made me vomit. It was so not worth it for me, so I quit and decided I would rather be pregnant if I was going to be sick either way. The funny thing is everyone thought I was pregnant already because everything made me throw up! I didn't get pg for a year!
Jenny Davidson
DH Charles Davidson
Married May 27, 2004

Jenny
HER Majesty

Postby Atsie » Nov 13, 2005 8:35 am

I was sick on the the multi level hormone ones. With the low dose I was fine, but ended up with HG!! :wink:
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Trudy » Nov 13, 2005 4:00 pm

No, I've never had any problems with bc pills. In fact I'm better on them than I am off them. I first took them to control my endo and found them great. I'll go back on them after this baby is born.

Trudy
Trudy

3x HG Pregnancies
Abby and Laura went to heaven Oct 2002
Beth born 21 May 2004
Adam born 7th Feb 2006

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".
Trudy
Forum Moderator

Postby IslandDreamer » Nov 13, 2005 7:21 pm

First time I tried them at about 20, no problem. But I voted yes because my second attempt to go back on the pill at 24 was met with nausea, fainting, lots of fun.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby mrsbigdog » Nov 14, 2005 12:28 pm

I did not vote in the poll because the "sick" didn't really fit with what happened to me.

I was on bc for several years with no problem. After my second daughter (yes HG with first and second) my dr changed which pills I was taking. I did not get "sick" but became very emotional, depressed and almost suicidal! I didn't realize it was the pills but luckily my husband guessed and demanded I get off them immediately. I improved instantly! The dr then put me back on the old pills and I had no problems. We stopped the pills about 8 years ago because I wasn't really thrilled with filling my body with hormones and were able to avoid pregnancy until we "goofed" last May.

I'm terrified about what to do after how bad HG was this time so I might have to try them again.
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby HelenA » Dec 07, 2005 7:23 am

I haven't voted because I never got sick on birth control before having Kimi, but since having her they do make me ill for the first few days I'm taking a new pack.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby rjdecker » Dec 09, 2005 5:33 pm

I got so sick with the mini pill that I was worse than I was with HG :shock: It was very disconcerting. I never thought I would hear myself say that I would rather be pregnant!

Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Never had any.

Postby Gul. » May 03, 2007 9:47 am

I never took birth control pills.
Gul.

Postby pamedic » May 03, 2007 6:25 pm

I never got sick with birthcontrol, but with Depo I gained a ton of weight, over 50 lbs in a matter of like 6 months :( Then I switched to the pill and was a walking zomby, no energy, no sex drive, moody, but never nauseated or sick.

I didn't vote, since I did have symptoms from the stuff just not the sick part

My OBGYN says I'm highly affected by estrogen so I should stay away from birth control pills / shots. Which is fine since DH is snipped :D
pamedic
Been There Done That

Postby C&G'sMommy » May 04, 2007 12:54 am

I get about HG sick when I take them and get hives because I'm allergic to them as well, so no bc for me. I have to use different methods of bc without using pills, shots, or patches.
ImageImage
~Caiden Nicholas~ - Lost 7/26/06 (Forever 17 Weeks)
Gabbriela Cadence - 6/22/07
~Taylor Blakely~ - Lost 10/3/07
C&G'sMommy
Master of HG

Postby kelley2000 » May 15, 2007 9:35 pm

Yes, when I was a teenager I started the pill,and I was always having weird episodes of nausea and vomiting. It took a long time before I realized it was the brth control. Ten years later,after my last pg, I tried the patch, and that was the worse. Every month I had more and more vomiting, and had to finally stop it. Now I have the Nuvaring, which only causes a little nausea, I love it!!

Kelley
Kelley

Molly 7/01 Bad MS
Hannah 3/03 HG until 16 weeks

Expecting #3 EDC June 20, 2008....it's a boy!

kelley2000
Been There Done That

Next

Return to Polls & General HG Questions