Hyper/hypothyroidism and HG?

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Do/did you have hyper/hypothyroidism during pg?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes : 54

Hyper/hypothyroidism and HG?

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Mar 12, 2006 6:20 am

I have read that researchers are seeing a link between hyper/hypothyroidism (especially hyperthyroidism) and HG. Women who suffer from hyperthyroidism during pg have symptoms similar to HG. Indeed perhaps HG is caused, for those women, by hyperthyroidism?

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism early in pg, around week 7-8. I had always been on the border between normal and abnormal prior to the pg.

It may be important to see if there are links for others. Please post if you have also been on the borderline, as this may be significant. Perhaps a "normal" test result that is near abnormal levels can be significant in causing HG symptoms?

Sarah[/list]
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby PamelaRose » Mar 12, 2006 12:15 pm

I've been interested in the thyroid's link to HG, too, as I've always been borderline with suspicious thyroid function. It's always tested within normal range, though, so I don't classify as anything other than mysteriously HG. :roll:
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby sal » Mar 18, 2006 5:00 pm

I am on tretment for underactive thyroid since my first child was 6 months old. My T4 levels went completely bananas in my second pregnancy and I was v unwell as a result. All well on this pregnancy so far but having my levels checked every 4 weeks jic...
Sal
[Niamh August 2001 - HG from 7 weeks
Ronan November 2003- HG from 6 weeks
Cliona July 2006 - HG from 6 weeks - Open heart surgery at 17 weeks and doing well!
m/c April 2008 - no HG
Dearbhla April 2009 and lost her twin Sep 2008 - Hg from week 6
sal
Been There Done That

Postby samib » Mar 29, 2006 6:58 pm

Hi there,

I was never diagnosed, but I had a ton of hypothyroid symptoms.

Sami
samib
Been There Done That

Postby megs4413 » Apr 03, 2006 5:15 pm

If you have been borderline or experiencing symptoms of a thyroid problem but have not been diagnosed, it may be useful for you to see an endocrinologist instead of an OB or primary doc. I say this because my endo knew to test for more than just the standard thyroid levels in my blood screening and was thus able to finally find and diagnose the problem correctly. I have his requisite if you would like to know all the panels he did. For me the problem was with my anti-thyroid antibodies. He tested for it when my regular doc had never even heard of it! Interestingly enough, i had hypothyroidism which i was being treated for, and then late in my pg it became hyper....dont know what that means...
megs4413
HG Diva

Postby princess » Apr 06, 2006 1:49 pm

This is kind of a "what came first the chicken or the egg" thing for me. I had hyperthyroidism in my HG pg. What I can't seem to figure out is whether the hyperthyroidism caused the HG or the HG caused the hyperthyroidism? I have read information supperting both theories.
-Erin

Wyatt- 8 (NVP)
Julianna- 6 (HG)
princess
Been There Done That

Postby Erinf » Apr 07, 2006 8:30 am

During my pg, my doc said my thyroid was in the low range. She never mentioned it again? Right after delivery, I was low normal (TSH-.05). I wasn't feeling good and asked to be tested.

It has gone up a little since then (TSH-.09).

I'm still low on magnesium and potassium 6 months after delivery. I take magnesium supplements, prenatal vitamins that have 100% potassium, and eat lots of bananas!

Sorry, off thyroid topic but, anyone else also low in magnesium and potassium postpartum? I do remember during a few of my 13 er visits with HG being given potassium supplements so I guess it got low during the pregnancy too.

~Erin :lol:
Erinf
Welcomed Friend

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Apr 07, 2006 10:18 am

ladies, thanks for sharing your experiences. meg, it would be interesting to see your panels and compare. i did go to an endo, but he based his opinions on the tests my regular doc took.
erin, it doesn't sound surprising that mineral levels are still low after such an ordeal, esp. if you are nursing. keep eating those monkey fruits :lol: i wish my doc took more comprehensive tests of my mineral levels. but keep an eye on it. what does your doc say to do?
princess, that's interesting, bec. my endo said that pg in itself can't cause thyroid problems, but that it can sort of bring it to the surface, if i understood him right.
hmm!
it is interesting to me that hyperthyroidism during pg can cause vomiting and nausea, which is essentially hg. i'm bothered by this--what is the link, if any, and for how many of us?

sarah
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby elle7715 » Jul 10, 2006 3:35 pm

I've had severe hypothyroidism since I was 8, so I'm wondering if it made the HG worse.
elle7715

Postby justme » Jul 11, 2006 8:17 am

Well, that depends on what doctor you ask. My gp said I had graves disease (which my mother has), my endo said I was hypo. When I got pg this second time it was out of control. Now my levels are almost hypo, but still technically in the normal range.

And b/c pills made me sick too.

Karen
justme
Forum Moderator

Postby claireL » Aug 03, 2006 4:51 pm

I have hyperthyodism which was digonsed when I was pregant, I was on medication for it, The main sympton I had was a very high pulse of 139 at rest.
claireL

Postby Susannah » Sep 15, 2006 9:22 pm

I am borderline hypothyroid.
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby jollyGG » Oct 03, 2006 4:05 pm

This poll is expecially interesting to me as I am a researcher. I study heart disease and my labs particular interest is thyroid hormones and heart failure. Over time I'm discovering more and more the effects of hyper/hypothyroidism. Our lab is discovering a lot of interesting things about borderline (in other words low normal or high normal) levels and are leaning towards recomendations that low normal levels should be treated. I'll be sure to follow this post. However, they did check my thyroid level and I was completely normal so can't blame that for my problems.
jollyGG

Postby Mikey&Bree'sMama(src) » Oct 12, 2006 4:48 pm

During my first pregnancy, I was (if I remember correctly) hyperthyroid. As far as I can tell from the lab tests, it developed during the pregnancy, and my doctor told me that it was probably a result of the constant vomiting and that they couldn't give me anything for it because it would hurt the baby. However, I've always had problems that would be concidered possibly thyroid related (cold extremities, dry skin, trouble losing weight, vertical ridges and cracking/peeling of my fingernails). When I had my thyroid levels checked at 21 by my FP, they tested TSH, T3 and T4, and all the levels were within what they called the normal range, but I don't know *where* in this "normal range" they were.

This website, for http://www.endocrineweb.com/pregnancy.html
has information about thyroid problems in pregnancy.

As an aside, I've had problems with electrolyte levels (potassium and magnesium) both in my first preg. and this one--to the point of the doctors being concerned during my first preg. that my heart had been damaged by extremely low potassium levels. I had an EKG and an echocardiogram, which apparently were normal, as the doctors never mentioned it to me again.
Renee
Mikey&Bree'sMama(src)
Opinionated HGer

Postby AckAck » Apr 15, 2007 12:13 am

I was getting ready to post on thyroid disorders but y'all are waaaay ahead of this noobsauce :) I have a hypothyroid disorder. Does research seem to be looking exclusively at hyperthyroid?
AckAck
Welcomed Friend

Postby Drewsky » Apr 18, 2007 1:45 pm

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism during pg. My OB said that the Hyperthyroidism could be causing the HG or the HG could be causing hyperthyroidism. I was sent to an endocrynologist at about 8 wks pg and he diagnosed me with Graves disease. I was given a medication (that was considered not safe in pregnancy and that I never took) and told me that I would have surgery once the baby was born. After my son was born my thyroid levels have been completely normal and I have had it checked every six months for over 2 years. Obviously, I did not have Graves disease and I am so glad I did not take that medication or have surgery.
Drewsky
Been There Done That

Postby *** » Apr 19, 2007 10:17 am

I didn't and still don't have any thyroid issues but DD was born with congenital hypothyroid
Forum Moderator

Postby Kev's_girl » Apr 24, 2007 10:50 pm

I have had Thyroid disease since about age 12. I am hypothyroid, which is the underactive thyroid. My thyroid levels were in the normal limits (with medication) when I got pregnant, at my 8 wk checkup, my levels remained normal, but since that time, my TSH has sky-rocketed because I'm not keeping my Synthroid down. I don't know if this has anything to do with my vomiting, but when my TSH is high (which means the thyroid is not functioning properly, and not making enough hormones), I am very, very tired, dry skin, cool extremities, hair loss, etc. So I know some of my symptoms at this point are from the Hypothyroidism, but not all of them.

Plus, I've had different doctors tell me different things about how my thyroid disease could affect the baby. Studies show a link to underactive thyroid function (Hypothyroid) and preterm labor, low birth weight and lowered IQ later in life. But, some doctors have told me that the study is essentially bogus and I have nothing to worry about.
Amber
Anthony Joseph - 9/5/07 - HG till the end!

Kev's_girl
Been There Done That

Return to Polls & General HG Questions