What kind of puker are you?

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Toilet
62%
Bucket
38%

Total votes : 169

Postby teddi » Jul 18, 2006 12:21 am

inspired by another thread... but I thought it an appropriate polll question...
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby Rachel » Jul 18, 2006 12:54 am

I put bucket, and I do use them a lot, but my favorite place is the sink, actually, and you don't have that listed. It feels odd to have a 'favorite place to puke' but I'm sure you ladies can identify!

If I can actually make it to the bathroom, I use the sink. I hate the toilet; the smell makes my puking much worse and I always feel dirtier afterward. I like the sink cause I can turn on the water and have it almost gone by the time I'm done.

And buckets, well, if my DH is home he's a dear man and empties, so that's nice at least.
Rachel
HG Expert

Postby Cin » Jul 18, 2006 1:23 am

Can't use a bucket or a spit cup except in a dire emergency. Makes me sick even thinking about it.
Mom to Alex, 12 -- NVP
Isaac, 10 -- NVP
Naomi, 8 -- HG
Edward, 4 -- avoided clinical HG through aggressive pre-emptive treatment and pure luck (aka medicated fluffy)
Cin
Forum Moderator

Postby Atsie » Jul 18, 2006 7:02 am

I can't use a bucket. Then I have to clean it. I use the toilet but can now puke standing up. I learned that skill after the splash back got to much!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby caleighbelle47 » Jul 18, 2006 9:40 am

My bucket was just to get me to the toilet. Once I started puking I just had to get to the bathroom. I don't know maybe I was afraid of my bucket not being big enough or something but I didn't like it. That and I didn't want to clean it either.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby mrsbigdog » Jul 20, 2006 3:24 pm

I voted bucket. Pre-PICC line I usually aimed for the sink or toilet but after the PICC line with IV running 24hr/day I just could not move quickly enough to get me and the full IV contraption into the bathroom in time. I just totally gave up and went for the bucket (actually the large tub-thing from the ER).
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby Trudy » Jul 20, 2006 8:44 pm

I was both. At my worst was a bucket/bowl as it was too much to try and get out of bed every 5 mins, though a few times I just stayed on the floor by the toilet. Once the vomiting was under control it was the toilet.
Trudy

3x HG Pregnancies
Abby and Laura went to heaven Oct 2002
Beth born 21 May 2004
Adam born 7th Feb 2006

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".
Trudy
Forum Moderator

Postby IslandDreamer » Jul 20, 2006 10:23 pm

Definitely a bucket girl...the toilet backsplash it too much. BUT the sink (any sink, I wasn't particular) was my fav for sure.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby HelenA » Jul 21, 2006 4:19 am

I couldn't really vote, since I puke in ANYTHING! I prefer the sink at the moment, due to walking problems and back problems, so it's not so far down for me. But if I'm not near a sink then bucket/toilet/bin, anything will do, oh and lets not forget hands..lol
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby Gail » Jul 21, 2006 9:39 am

I voted bucket, but I can use both. I usually used the bucket though so I could pee at the same time in the toilet ( if I made it that far) It was hard to bring my iv, hold my bucket and try not to pee on the way to the bathroom. Usualy walked w/ a towel between my legs, b/c I usually didn't make it. The vomiting would start as soon as I got in an upright position :oops:
Mom to two girls
Sydney (6-7-95)
Lauren (10-13-99)
Lost Angel (2-9-04)

Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections than people who are most content---Bob Dylan
Gail
Opinionated HGer

Postby mammaclare » Jul 21, 2006 10:50 am

Toilet all the way, bbay.

I have what must be some unique HG skill in that I can always make it to a toilet, as I seem to have (while on Zofran, in particular) a wide margin of "notice" before I puke. I mean like 5-10 minutes ahead of time I know it is coming. It is like the puke-a-rator has a fight with the Zofran in my system and while they are fighting I can make a toilet run. Now off Zofran, the margin is less...isn't that bizarre??

Anyway, the BAD part about getting that "notice" from my tummy so far ahead is the time I am just hanging over the toilet thinking "OK, I am here, where is the puke? C'mon already...this feels miserable. I need to get DH to clean the toilet. Maybe I am not puking? Perhaps if I have more time I should pee first? Oh...wait...here it comes now...BLECH". Seriously I have been tempted to do a finger in the throat to get it started faster as I sit and have long minutes of that "almost puke" feeling that we know is the worst in the world.

The sink thing sounds interesting, but since I have a pretty good food intake, I'd be afraid of the drain not handling the load...
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby jesspinky1 » Jul 21, 2006 10:54 am

I voted toilet because I hate having to clean a bucket! BUT, on my worst days when I couldn't roll over in bed without puking, I definately used a bucket!

I did get to the point with my wee-pukes that I sat on the toilet and puked into the tub.
Hailey 7-23-98 HG baby
Isaiah and Malachi 3-25-03 NVP
Dominic 2-27-01 adopted
William 11-14-06 HG baby
Aaliyah 10-3-08 HG baby
jesspinky1
HG Diva

Postby Ben's Mom » Jul 21, 2006 11:49 am

mamma2be wrote:Toilet all the way, bbay.

I have what must be some unique HG skill in that I can always make it to a toilet, as I seem to have (while on Zofran, in particular) a wide margin of "notice" before I puke. I mean like 5-10 minutes ahead of time I know it is coming. It is like the puke-a-rator has a fight with the Zofran in my system and while they are fighting I can make a toilet run. Now off Zofran, the margin is less...isn't that bizarre??

I had this too, while on Zofran only!!! I prefer the toilet because I can flush it. Every other option needs to be cleaned more regularly. But I HATE the way it bounces toilet water back in my face. That's pretty gross at home, but not too terrible because I know how often it was cleaned. But it is completely disgusting when I'm out and using a public restroon. Like when I tried to take a childbirthing class (BIG mistake) and had to puke in the hospital restroom... You'd think a hospital would be clean, but it was the most disgusting toilet I've ever seen -- and I've had my face in a lot of toilets!!
Ben's Mom
Been There Done That

Postby gc1023 » Jul 21, 2006 10:26 pm

I have to agree with Erin on the puking standing up. In the squat position I always ended up peeing in my pants as I was puking!!

Gina
gc1023

Postby tgger007 » Jul 21, 2006 11:01 pm

I so agree with Clare. I have the same thing with Zofran... I just know when it is going to happen. Now, before it, I was a sink puker...towel..floor.hands.. etc.

But, I prefer the toliet. I've learned how to angle so lack of backsplash and less to clean.
Crystalyn

tgger007
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 22, 2006 8:42 pm

Depended on the pregnancy! With the first two, I hit the toilet every single time, and I had the angle down pat so only the most violet vomits splashed back and caught me unawares. I think I only had a couple times with Brody when I didn't make it--I usually had pre-warning of impending pukes. Then pregnancy caught up with my bladder, and if I tried puking in the toilet with the girls' pregnancies I wound up in a puddle of pee, so I had to modify and sit on the toilet while holding a puke bucket.

Nurses at the hospital thought I was insane when I frantically unplugged and gathered up my poles to sprint to the toilet to puke--they kept pointing out emesis basins and telling me they were happy to rinse things out, but I never could quite find words to explain that cleaning the puke bucket would be the least of the worries if I let 'er rip in bed.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby RebeccaM » Jul 28, 2006 2:07 pm

I'm a sink girl (sometimes toilet), but I would use a large plastic disposable cup to get me there if I couldn't make it in time. A bucket is way too big because I never had enough in me to puke more than 1 cup at a time. And the cups worked great because I could completely cover my mouth with it (so no missing the cup) and I could throw it away when I was done.

Edited to add: Also, I felt better carrying around a cup as opposed to a bucket because it's normal to carry around a cup and no one gave me funny looks or asked what it was...AND it doubled as my spit cup :wink:
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 30, 2006 9:26 pm

I could have posted Clare's post. I never noticed more notice rather than less notice, but I hung out for a long time before puking. I nearly always puked in private, too. It was the rare occassion when I did NOT puke in a toilet, and I agree - too much food intake to even risk the sink. I had an amazing amount of energy just when I needed it to make it to the toilet.

I KNEW the inside of my toilet - and the floor around it, and the walls and ceiling. . . . and always alone - why was I so neurotic about that? I would NOT let dh see me vomit.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Natalie » Jul 31, 2006 3:05 pm

I'm a Pink Bucket girl. My fave puking position with Theo was to sit on the toilet and puke into PB. With Beth, I used to lie on the bed, lean my head over the side of the bed, puke and call dh to come and clear it away :mrgreen:

Maybe we should also have a poll about the grossest place you have puked? For me, it was puking was in the bath while I was still in it. Has anyone else bathed in their own puke? NOT recommended :sickfast:

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby teddi » Aug 01, 2006 9:29 pm

Yep Nat I have puked in the bath too. It's pretty gross. I used to keep a BIG plastic cup nearby but once or twice... OVERFLOW. Those were generally on my really bad days when I would seek refuge in the bath and be in there for 4 or 5 (literally) hours so I didn't care too much. Nearly all of the time I had enough warning that I could nicely place my puke some place decent but a few times it came up on me so fast I got myself :?

One of my other favorite places to puke was my moms lawn. Yes I'm laughing here at the memory. But sometimes it was nice just go waddle out to her backyard and just sit in fresh air and see the sun again. I'd almost always end up puking and the grass was sooo welcoming.

My SINCEREST apologies :oops: for not including SINK as an option. I forgot about that one- not nice for when you actually have stomach contents (ie foodments) but absolutely a great option for the bile only pukefests. As you can tell I'm not freshly HG, so *some* of the memories are starting to fade.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Next

Return to Polls & General HG Questions