more info on KetoStix and ketosis

We're open to suggestions and questions for the forums.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

more info on KetoStix and ketosis

Postby sillypumpkin » Nov 16, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi!
First off, thanks for this website; it's been a tremendous comfort to find information that validates what I'm going through!

In your survival guide, you mention getting KetoStix to track hydration & starvation. There is a link to the right hand side for more info on Ketosis (I think it's supposed to redirect you to a webMD article), but the link does not work.

When I google Ketosis or KetoStix all I find are articles on the Atkins or other low carb diets that say being in a Ketosis state is a good thing. So I'm really confused about what to look for as a sign of severe dehydration (aka...go to the hospital again for another IV!). I'm guessing other women might be asking themselves the same question, so I thought I'd suggest having some more information on the site that is specific to using KetoStix and how Ketosis relates to pregnancy, HG and our wellbeing.

Thanks again for all your help,
Natalie Kane
sillypumpkin
Welcomed Friend

Postby Atsie » Nov 16, 2007 3:50 pm

When you are trying to lose weight Ketosis is a good thing. It means your body is burning fat/starving . It can also be a sign to dehydration. So in pg, it is not our friend. The ketosticks track the amount of ketones in your urine. You do not want any in there. I always found that if I had ketomes (more than trace or small) I would eat something full of carbs or sugar and if that did not get rid of my ketones it meant I needed an IV as I was dehydrated. Ketosticks are GREAT indicators of dyhydration and starvation. BUT they are not the only indicator. You also need to pay attention to the other signs of dehydration as well as your intake of fluid.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

thanks!

Postby sillypumpkin » Nov 16, 2007 4:11 pm

Thanks for your posting! It was definitely informative... as crazy as it sounds, it makes me feel better to know there is a way to monitor my health at home.
sillypumpkin
Welcomed Friend

Postby PumpkinsMomma » Nov 16, 2007 8:45 pm

I don't think the ketostix that Matria gives me works. At most I've only gotten a trace amount of ketones. That can't be accurate because I've lost 35 lbs!

When I've had to go to the hospital it's always come back with ketones in it. Sometimes the urine test at my doc shows some too, so I suppose I don't have a good reaction to the kind they have sent me. I've never really said anything about it though. I suppose I should but I'm hoping to be off all this stuff soon.

Big sigh
marie
Mom to 3 HG babies...Jenna (2-18-01), Thomas (8-27-03) and Anna (3-16-08 )

PumpkinsMomma
Been There Done That

urine vs blood tests

Postby sillypumpkin » Nov 16, 2007 9:41 pm

I have read that ketones in blood are more readily detectable than in urine. Ketone traces in urine do not appear until after the kidneys have processed them, so the body may be producing ketones well before they are detected in urine. Don't know if this helps, but I noticed at the ER they always find ketones whereas at the birthing center I'm getting prenatal care at, they never find traces. The only difference I can place is that the ER does a blood test in addition to urine, whereas the birthing center only does urine tests.
sillypumpkin
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Nov 17, 2007 1:10 am

There's also something called specific gravity that should be taken into consideration when urine checks are run for dehydration. Medcial types here can help define that! Some bodies are quite good at masking the signs of dehydration, so more sensitive testing is needed if you feel dehydrated but aren't showing convincing outward symptoms. HGers can go from trace ketones to spilling major ketones in short time, so get help sooner rather!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby teddi » Nov 17, 2007 2:46 pm

Keytones are not the only sign of dehydration.

I strongly suggest that you order urinalysis dipsticks instead of just ketostix. Those are the usually what they use in your OB's office when you go in and "pee in the cup". Those test for specific gravity as well as keytones. It's possible to have trace keytones but a high spec. gravity in which case, with other symptoms you very well may be dehydrated. I probably can't give the best description or explanation of how it is keytones get into the urine but it IS possible to be dehydarted without large or moderate keytones depending on where you are at metabolically.

You can order them online, no prescription needed, or check at your local pharmacy.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby JennyK » Nov 17, 2007 4:14 pm

Unrelated to HG, but the dieticians who worked with me when I was pregnant told me except in certain uncommon circumstances, they advise against ketosis for dieters as well. Dr. Atkins obviously disagrees, but their opinion is ketosis is almost always unhealthy.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Administrators