HG related to Gallbladder?

We're open to suggestions and questions for the forums.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

HG related to Gallbladder?

Postby hgsurvive3 » Oct 01, 2008 10:05 am

During my third, and most challenging, pregnancy, through "What to Expect When You're Expecting" my husband and I noticed a possible connection between HG and the gallbladder. After going to a low fat diet, I did receive tremendous relief. I've not seen this anywhere on your site and wasn't sure if this is something that has valid research associated with it. Anyone have any knowledge of this?
hgsurvive3

Postby krdoty » Oct 01, 2008 8:17 pm

Gall bladder commons do seem to be more common among those with HG. However, there are quite a few HGers represented here who have had one or more HG pregnancies after having had their gall bladder removed. Pregnancy itself is a risk factor for gall bladder disease, and it appears to occur at a higher rate among HGers than among non-HGers. However, it is not known at this point if a bad gall bladder causes HG, if HG causes gall bladder disease or if they just happen to coexist with or without a common cause.
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby hgsurvive3 » Oct 03, 2008 8:23 am

Thank you. Appreciated that information. A few months after my 3rd pregnancy, my gallbladder did need to be removed. A low fat diet also helped with my HG symptoms. We found it amazing that no doctors discussed any of this with us.
hgsurvive3

Postby PamelaRose » Oct 04, 2008 12:39 pm

Gallbladder disease symptoms often mimic nausea and vomiting of pregnancy, and one if the first tests run on a woman whose NVP becomes severe or goes into the second trimester is a gallbladder scan. It makes sense, then, that treating your gallbladder symptoms would ease your NVP, and we have had HGers report success with very low-fat diets in subsequent pregnancies (see the protocols in our Preparation for HG forum for more information). The majority of us who have had gallbladders removed between HG pregnancies, though, report little to no effect on HG, so the theory of a link between gallbladder disease and HG doesn't hold for everyone. Gallstones are commonly the result of hormone increase in the body, so pregnant women and people who've lost a lot of weight very quickly (releasing hormone stored in fat) are at risk for gallbladder disease, and since HG puts us squarely in both categories, HG and gallbladder issues go hand-in-hand for many. You are so right in pointing out that this link ought to be made clear to us so we can monitor for symptoms during and after pregnancy!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby screamin' » Jul 17, 2009 3:51 am

during my previous pgcy, I have done some internet research about it too.
I was itching and came across a site about cholestasis. (www.itchymoms.com)
it has indeed been suggested that there is a connection between liver/gallbladder and HG.
I understood that the relation between gallbaldder secretion and fat intake is a rather complex one.
bile secretion does indeed increase when you eat fat, but when you stop eating fat entirely, the bile stays in the gallbladder, increasing the chance for gall stones. also the organs need some fat, at least the right kind of fat. not the fat that builds up your bad cholesterole, because that also increases the probability of gall stones, but the good fat.
if you do have serious cholestasis or gall problems, there are ways to diagnose this.
4 sons (1996,1999,2004,2010)- 1 angel girl at 16wks gest. (april 1st 2008)- all HG
screamin'
Devoted to You

Return to Ask the Administrators