We're open to suggestions and questions for the forums.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Postby Mar2 » Jul 14, 2004 1:21 pm

Andy,

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I've noticed that if I log into the site and log back out without reading all of the new discussions/posts (marked with the orange flower), the forums with new posts that I have not read are actually marked as read (pale flower) when I log back into the site.

Would it be possible to change the color of the orange flower only after a member has clicked on a given forum and on all the new related discussions? In other words, keep the forum flower orange until all new discussions/posts within a forum have been read? I think the unread discussions are marked in blue until they are read, but it is harder to find those unread discussions without the orange flower. Does that make sense? And am I the only one experiencing this? :)

Just a thought for those of us with only a few scattered minutes to log in and read posts.

Thanks,
Marla
------------------------------------------------
HG PG 1: miscarried at 16 weeks 3/18/2002
HG PG 2: baby girl 5/29/2003
Step-Son: born 11/26/1990 (acquired May 1997)
Mar2
Welcomed Friend

Postby RebeccaM » Jul 14, 2004 2:07 pm

I'm having the exact same problem (I think :? ). But it seems to do it the following day, meaning if I logged in today but didn't read all of the new messages, when I log in tomorrow it will mark the unread folders as read. I hope that made a little bit of sense.

Glad it's not just me with problem. :)
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby emily » Jul 14, 2004 3:33 pm

When you log in if you look at the very top there is an option to read new posts only. This is a great way to read the forums! I may double post this, but it isn't just new threads, it is anything that has been active (meaning newly posted or replied to).
emily
Devoted to You

Postby Mar2 » Jul 15, 2004 12:45 pm

Rebecca - That made perfect sense to me ;)

Emily - Thanks for that tip. The "New Post" feature is nice! However, there still is the problem (for me anyway) that if I log out before reading all new posts (whether by clicking on New Posts or reading a discussion marked with the orange flower), the posts are no longer marked as new when I log back in. For me, it would be helpful if the posts remained "new" until I click on the forum and/or discussion. In other words, it would be nice to have the "new" status associated with accessing the post/forum/discussion rather than with just logging into the site. Kinda like the old HuGS forum where the discussion was marked with a certain symbol or color until you actually accessed that discussion (in fact, the discussion retained the unread mark until you accessed every page of the discussion).

Well, it is probably a silly distinction but I was spoiled by the old HuGS site I guess :lol:

Take care,
Marla
------------------------------------------------
HG PG 1: miscarried at 16 weeks 3/18/2002
HG PG 2: baby girl 5/29/2003
Step-Son: born 11/26/1990 (acquired May 1997)
Mar2
Welcomed Friend

Postby emily » Jul 15, 2004 2:12 pm

Hm, I haven't noticed that problem myself, but I don't usually log out. I hear what you are saying though, that would be annoying!
emily
Devoted to You

Postby RebeccaM » Jul 15, 2004 3:00 pm

Yeah, I had it set to read new posts only and I'm still having the same problem so I don't think that's it. But it was a good suggestion. :)
It isn't a big deal of course, just wondering if there's a solution, or if I'm just doing something wrong, and if I am, at least I'm not the only one. :wink:
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 28, 2004 8:14 am

Ugh! You ladies are not alone! I usually don't get much farther than my own forums when I log on, and when I come back all those new messages in the other forums are marked as read. So by the time I find time to cruise through another folder, I have no clue what I've read or not. :roll:

I miss the old Delphi format where it would stay unread forever until you got to it!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Cheri » Jul 28, 2004 11:09 pm

I thought they did stay marked in the beginning (unless that was just me thinking that in an hg blur) :? :?

It takes more brain power than I have at the moment to remember what I've read without the new markers working!!!
Cheri
Baby Lost at 15 weeks 3/02
Cheri
Opinionated HGer

Postby Ivydragon » Sep 03, 2004 11:14 am

I have to say this is an issue we are going to have to live with. I've asked Bill about this (who is the techie guy who put this forum together for us, btw) and he said that this is the way this particular software works. The orange flowers are tied to actually logging in! So annoying when we were spoiled rotten at HuGS, but this is how I'm dealing with this:

I look down the left side in a forum and look to where I have responded (especially where I moderate). Often I'm the one who posts last. Ocassionally I click on one that I've already been in but not nearly as often as I did. Another thing that I do when I feel organized is to jot down the last date I was in a forum - also I go in spurts, and so by looking at the dates available on the forum screen I can quickly assess if I've been into a post or not, if it's new since I was last there. Ideally I want to have a list of the forums on a piece of paper or notebook and just jot down the date of when I was last in, so at a glance I know where to pick back up, but looking at the dates has probably been the easiest way I've found to work with this.

Sorry, not something fixable w/o finding new software and rewriting the forum! Kimber is so gracious to have this here and new software and rewriting would cost the foundation (and her) $, after setting it up already has. She won't say it, but I will: Donations are always needed to the foundation! Maybe one day it will be clear that the forums will need revamped, but probably not for some time to come. Sorry!

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to Ask the Administrators