Anyone knows what to do with left over "stuff"

We're open to suggestions and questions for the forums.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Anyone knows what to do with left over "stuff"

Postby liseprzy » Jun 27, 2009 4:12 pm

I wasn't able to see anything anywhere else on this subject and din't want to make an official post somewhere that could potentally get someone in trouble...

Anyway after almost being through, I am now sitting on lactated ringers, injectable vitamins, various tubing, saline and heparin flushes, feedbags and osmolite. All paid for by insurance - and all non-returnable...

I feel bad just throwing it out, but I tried contacting abunch of places for donating medical equipment on line and no one wants it.

Is there a place we can donate to less fortunate members of this board. I keep seeing posting about people having issues getting things covered.

I realize all these things are on prescription, yet none of these products are good unless a doctor already put in an access line for you so most people would already have ther own prescription, right?

Anyway - looking for some feedback here.

Thanks
Lise

Amelia, born 6/29/09 - Severe HG for 37 weeks: zofran, multiple mid-lines, NJ tubes and hospitalizations.
Baby Angel, February 2011
New baby due 02/25/12 - severe HG starting at 5
weeks. Zofran, Prilosec, Miralax and enteral feeding through NJ tube since week 7.
liseprzy
Welcomed Friend

Postby merebelle » Jul 11, 2009 6:32 am

I have the same problem. You should probably throw out the LRs and vitamins. I've kept the saline flushes for wound and postpartum cleansing. The alcohol wipes are useful. Unopened tubing could be used by your local free clinic, but by law, they can't take the heparin, iv fluids or anything else. I ended up just sucking it up and throwing it out. I hated to do that, but no one can legally take it. The only thing I can think of is a foreign nursing mission. Many churches sponsor these. Perhaps an ad on craigslist will bring a taker.

Aren't you glad to be through it all? At worst, the supplies did their job. May they rest in peace. :)
2xHG SAHM
PICC line 7 months
Allergic to Reglan and Zofran
8 months on Lactated Ringers
2 months on TPN
NJ Tube, 2weeks inpatient, 8 months home healthcare
Sophie Louise born 2/07
Emily Claire born 4/09
merebelle

Postby MichellevsHG » Jul 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Check with your local animal hospitals, some will take your leftover/donated supplies.

I have seen ads on our local Craigslist for free, leftover supplies - though I would definitely check with the animal hospitals before throwing anything away. You never know what they'll be able to use.

Someone was very kind and donated medication after their furbaby passed away. The hospital then gave it to me for my furbaby. I was very thankful for the donated medication (it was still sealed) and it saved me $60.
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby Susannah » Jul 11, 2009 5:45 pm

I gave to an animal shelter after my first pregnancy and to a foreign humanitarian mission after my second pregnancy.
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Administrators