offensive verbage in our own linked articles??

We're open to suggestions and questions for the forums.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

offensive verbage in our own linked articles??

Postby tottie 12 » Jul 17, 2009 11:47 am

Why do we list this article on the website? (See below) I know it was co-authored by TM Goodwin who has done great work for the HER foundation. But at the end of this article is says this, "We find no support for the theory that HG is a psychosomatic condition. Rather, it appears to be a complex interaction of biological, psychological, and sociocultural factors."
The fact that they include psychological as a factor negates the previous statement and is confusing to readers. So are they saying that a woman's psychological makeup plays a role in HG? I take offense to this.
I have made it my mission to contact all the various websites, and organizations that use the word psychological and ask them to remove it as a possible theory. It has been widely discounted by researchers and it is injurious to all of us HGer's who have been neglected by the medical establishment.
We need to take a consistent stance as an organization on this "debate" in so much as there is one.
Please respond, Thanks -Tottie 12
Simpson SW, Goodwin TM, Robins SB, Rizzo AA, Howes RA, Buckwalter DK, Buckwalter JG.
Graduate School of Psychology at Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, California, USA.
Journal of Womens Health and Gender Based Medicine 2001 Jun;10(5):471-7

Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) is a condition of severe, intractable nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. It has long been held that HG is a psychosomatic illness reflective of a long-term psychological trait, that is, conversion disorder. We investigated this possibility by conducting a two-phase study: (1) a comparison of women with (n = 9) and without (n = 10) HG during pregnancy and (2) a comparison of nonpregnant women who did (n = 10) and did not (n = 12) have HG during their most recent pregnancies. The pattern of findings differed between experiments 1 and 2. During pregnancy, women with HG scored significantly higher on three scales associated with conversion disorder (all p values <0.01) than did women without HG. There were no significant differences between HG subjects and controls after pregnancy. We find no support for the theory that HG is a psychosomatic condition. Rather, it appears to be a complex interaction of biological, psychological, and sociocultural factors.
tottie 12
Been There Done That

Postby earthmama » Sep 11, 2009 11:41 am

tottie12 - did you get a response. Thanks for making this point....
earthmama
Opinionated HGer

Postby tottie 12 » Sep 11, 2009 3:32 pm

Unfortunatly no I did not receive an answer.
tottie 12
Been There Done That

Postby earthmama » Sep 11, 2009 9:26 pm

I've listed another post........hopefully it was just overlooked and will get a response.
earthmama
Opinionated HGer

Postby aaronsmommy » Sep 12, 2009 12:00 am

Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby teddi » Sep 13, 2009 4:57 pm

Medical Dictionary

Main Entry: psy·cho·log·i·cal
1 a : relating to, characteristic of, directed toward, influencing, arising in, or acting through the mind especially in its affective or cognitive functions <psychological> psychological aspects of a problem> b : directed toward the will or toward the mindspecifically in its conative function

psychosomatic psy·cho·so·mat·ic
1. Of or relating to a disorder having physical symptoms but originating from mental or emotional causes.

It's important to realize that the words, and the intent we ascribe to them, may not be reflective of what the authors meant within context. Remember, that the above paragraph is the very brief abstract, and actually isn't the research article itself.

Similar statements are often made for those dealing with chronically painful conditions. For instance "the pain cycle", where a physical condition is worsened by the mental impact can create a worsening condition. Add to that, the actual causation of HG is unknown, is possibly related to the altered brain function/activity and "phychological" is not an inappropriate word to use. Where the use of "phychological" and "neurological" might begin and end, is largely what is unknown.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby tottie 12 » Sep 15, 2009 11:45 am

I agree that the pain cycle is a real thing and that it can worsen the course of any illness, but to say that the "cause" or the point of origin of an illness is "psychological" suggests two things. One that the sufferer has a psychological weakness that created the disease, and two, that the sufferer could therefore control the outcome if they could just; think positively or pull themselves out of their rut.

Let's not forget that until recently HG was thought of as purely psychological and mistreated. Let's not forget that there may be an untold number of HG women who die each year still today because of medical neglect.
That medical neglect often stems from an attitude that HG is just a sign of mental weakness and that it therefore doesn't need to be taken seriously.
tottie 12
Been There Done That

Postby tottie 12 » Sep 15, 2009 11:48 am

Apologies, when I said it wasn't responded to I thought you were asking about the letter I wrote to NORD. This thread was responded to by the link provided by Aaron's mom.
tottie 12
Been There Done That

Postby teddi » Sep 15, 2009 10:24 pm

My purpose here isn't to argue but rather to clarify, that the context in which the word "psychological" was used in the abstract wasn't as you interpreted. In this instance, they were expressly not using the word psychological to mean or to be synonymous with the word "psychosomatic".

To the second issue, the mistreatment of HG due to incorrect beliefs, we all agree is a problem. Thanks to Kimber and AnneMarie for starting the HER foundation to combat the ignorance & improve treatment! Your efforts are very appreciated in helping educate others that this is a *real* disease that requires medical management.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby tottie 12 » Sep 16, 2009 2:44 pm

There's nothing wrong with disagreement or lively debate. I'm not offended & no offense intended on my part. I see your point, I just always thought of "psychological" as of the mind, we all interpret words differently.
tottie 12
Been There Done That

Return to Ask the Administrators